The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Doing Her Nails

ShiroKuro

Some shots at ISO 1600....... Alien Skin Black and White plugin for PSCS3.... Dodge and Burn..... Curves.....

Last edited:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice series. I will add that there are many very nice images on your web site.

7ian7

Nice!

Lately, I've become a complete Alien Skin
Exposure 2 convert. Color and B&W.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I like these too. Very intimate feeling.

*Observation: This is not meant as a criticism in any way, just something that popped into my head while viewing these images with the film-grain look. It occurred to me that back in the 70s-80s when I was employed full-time as either a lab tech or photographer, film grain was the enemy. All manner of hoops were leapt through to minimize the stuff. It was evil. As universally hated as "noise" is today.

In some ways, the current use of film grain plug-ins reminds me of the use of Sepia printing paper back then. The paper was very warm toned and flattened contrast, providing a sense of opening the shadows. If one wanted to imitate an "antique" look, Sepia paper was one method. Even back then it was an obvious trick and got tiresome pretty quickly.

Again, this is not a judgement on the use of grain. More of a recognition of how a technical aspect of photography can become a stylistic one as tastes change.*

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well interesting thing is back in the day when doing commercial work. Grain was the devil in many ways to give files to a client. Now that has become noise in many ways. But what is neat is it really always had a place anyway in photography but just depends on look and use of it. Interesting how times have changed but not really also. The bottom line fact is it still works. I think the trick as artists is making the best use of it without over abusing it also. Just like the the OOF area's on some portraits where the eye only is in focus. It's a overused technique but still has a place if done well. There are rules and than there are rules that are meant to be broken , and this is a nice case of breaking rules and making art. Good stuff

7ian7

I'm blown away by how Alien skin can subtly shift the viewing experience of an image in the direction of something way closer to how I respond to images made on film. It's better at it than anything I've achieved on my own starting with files from digital cameras (of all sizes).

Theoretically if they can do it within PhotoShop, we can too — but I'm just not that good. Beyond grain — which can be dialed down or completely off — the plug-in excels at taming the color palette in remarkably pleasing ways. (However I do think Mitch would love the pushed Tri-X settings!).

7ian7

P.S. In the New York (fashion and advertising) labs I worked at in the early 90s, we were constantly experimenting with development and processing and paper combinations to amplify the idiosyncrasies of various films, as these "styles" were practically synonymous with many a photographer's identity.

Maggie O

Man, I used to get beat over the head in art school about my "sloppy, grainy" photos. Now people spend hundreds of dollars to get that look. Dammit, where's my royalty check!!! :ROTFL:

7ian7

#2 is actually a photo of ... Grain. :)

But seriously, royalties aside, check out a demo
of this thing — it's a more subtle all-purpose tool
than one might think.

G

GaryC

I also, really like the last one, alot. Nice work!

-Gary

Last edited:
M

Mitch Alland

Subarashii, ShiroKuro-san! (Honto no namae wa nan desu ka.)

I like the first and the last ones, although with the latter, if it were to be a photograph on its own rather than a part of this series with the title available to us, l would have likes to see more clearly what she's doing as otherwise I wouldn't know. The second one doesn't work for me as an abstract composition. And of the macros of the toes I prefer the second one as the first one is too gimmicky for my taste.

But overall I like the composition, the contrast and the grain of these pictures. (Moriyamo no mitai deshoo.)

Speaking of the grain, how do you get this grain in Alien Skln? I don't get anything like it with the presents.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157603989168260/