Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-discovering the GX-100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Re-discovering the GX-100

Thanks Jono, using a range of external viewfinders is a bit like collecting lenses! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Zambia [gotta have at least one high-contrast picture]

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Mitch, I forgot to post - this is an absolutely superb shot. I love it! And also a perfect example that fantastic photography has little to do with sensor performance You couldn't have done better with a D3 imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

Mitch Alland

Thanks, Brian. I went for the extremely high contrast because I wanted the echo of the zebra's stripes to come out in the light and dark areas of the grass. I also wanted the photograph to express the brightness of the light, which makes the shadows very dark.

—Mitch/Bangkok

veriwide

Quote Originally Posted by Photon-hunter View Post
    AHHRGG! I am most surely purchasing next week and still haven´t been able of making my mind..will it be the GX100 or GRDII??. One day I am sure it will be the one and the next....and then you people have to bring this thread up!!!

This is a severe case of "paralisys by analisys"..PLEASE, somebody make this decision for me..
    E.
    Get a used GR1, as I did, with the GH-1, GW-1 and GV-1 all for only $450.00 CAD, and you will never look back! Shoot in jpeg and RAW if you need and have the time... and who needs Barrel Distortion ? This combo has become my ersatz M4/21 SA and I love it totally... even more so because of the low cost. Oh, I almost forgot, it also came with a 2 GiG card and 4 batteries ! Bought off of Flickr.

Bernard

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...the accessory lenses are a complete nono - If it won't go in a pocket I'd much MUCH rather have an M8 with me (or an E410 come to that)...
    That's not how I see it. I wear the GRD2 in its case on my belt and carry the conversion barrel and the 21 and 40mm conversion lenses in my trouser pocket, which is very convenient.

It's true that the camera is more bulky when one of the converters is attached, but when I'm in a shooting mode I like to have the camera in my hand, not in the pocket; and once on of the converters is mounted it's a trivial operation to change focal length by unscrewing one to screw on the other or to shoot at 28mm. I feel this is a very practical and inexpensive solution.

—Mitch/Bangkok

7ian7

Re: Re-discovering GX-100 / Crisis of confidence

Here's my take on the choice at hand:

Many great shooters — here and among our heroes — think in wide terms; 28 is their thing. But an expensive non-interchangeable lens camera is a risky way to experiment with how you feel about a wide, fixed field of view, if you don't already have a good sense about your comfort zone in that regard.

The GR2 is badass. No doubt. At one point I was lusting for one; its size and feel and sort of hip drilled-down-variables aesthetic. Sean's analysis and review and samples confirmed its strengths. But for me, a fixed 28 isn't really ideal, however much I'd like it to be.

Conversely, I've found that, despite the perceived degraded sharpness at certain apertures at the long end of the GX-100 zoom, I still use that end of the lens more than most of the time. Yes, the 24 is cool and I've made some interiors and other things where it was great to have it. Wouter makes those remarkable landscapes. The macro is unbelievable. But for shooting head & shoulders portraits, or closer — which I tend to do a lot of the time — the 50 and 72 steps on the GX-100 are more flattering, look more like how we perceive our subjects' features. Yes, there are plenty of examples of great portraits that sort of disprove this generalization, but if we're honest, long is better for closer portraits. That's my number one reason to lean toward the GX100.

But here's the kicker, and I'm repeating myself from other threads:

I'm in the midst of yet another crisis-of-confidence in these little sensors:

Within this category, the GX100 has held its cred, even post GRD2. But a D300 with a Voightlander "pancake" lens is really small, and .... better. M8: WAY BETTER!!! Right now, my mindset is, Why would any one of us ever use a Ricoh if there's a better or great camera with the character of truly legendary glass available to make the same shot?!?! The "drawing" argument isn't holding up for me, personally. More res can be degraded, but not visa versa. The new Nikons are as clean at 6400 as the Ricohs at 200, so even depth-of-field is ... at least up for discussion. So what's left is the process, the mindset, or the convenience — the pocketability —and right now I'm doubting that's a good enough reason to forgive all the other trade-offs.

This is just me. Today. For now. (After eight months of almost exclusive use of the GX-100, even on a few assignments.)

I guess to be continued .....

Ok, sorry ... I promise no long posts for a while.

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by 7ian7 View Post
    ...I'm in the midst of yet another crisis-of-confidence in these little sensors:

Within this category, the GX100 has held its cred, even post GRD2. But a D300 with a Voightlander "pancake" lens is really small, and .... better. M8: WAY BETTER!!! Right now, my mindset is, Why would any one of us ever use a Ricoh if there's a better or great camera with the character of truly legendary glass available to make the same shot?!?! The "drawing" argument isn't holding up for me, personally. More res can be degraded, but not visa versa. The new Nikons are as clean at 6400 as the Ricohs at 200, so even depth-of-field is ... at least up for discussion. So what's left is the process, the mindset, or the convenience — the pocketability —and right now I'm doubting that's a good enough reason to forgive all the other trade-offs. ...
    Ian, I'll give the other side of the argument, of which you are well aware. A few years ago, friend shot the same scene with a Mamiya 7 medium-format camera and a Leica M6, a 35mm camera. The medium format shot had "great image qaulity" but we both liked the 35mm shots better because they had more "bite", which rendered the water in the river photographed in these test shots in a more interesting way.

In my case, I like the "35mm aesthetic", in which the photographed is drawn in a sketchier way and the gradations are rendered more roughly than by medium format film or high-end digital. That is the reason that I shoot with small sensor cameras rather than a camera like the Leica M8, whose look is more like scanned medium format film rather than 35mm film. Yes, it is possible to insert grain and degrade the image quality, but I prefer not to have to do this to get the look I want — and that is what I get with small sensor cameras.

And the size of these cameras, which means that I can have them with me anytime I go out, is compelling. I didn't do that with my M6 and wouldn't do it with an M8.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    does all this badassery with Ricoh and Sigma mean the Leica is a girly-cam?
    Yes, but the girl who uses it is a badass herself.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on the choice at hand:

Within this category, the GX100 has held its cred, even post GRD2. But a D300 with a Voightlander "pancake" lens is really small, and .... better. M8: WAY BETTER!!! Right now, my mindset is, Why would any one of us ever use a Ricoh if there's a better or great camera with the character of truly legendary glass available to make the same shot?!?! .
    I took these two using the D-Lux 3 when I had that and the E400 with me. In the beach shot, the light was so low I needed the IS capability and was happy to eschew any extra sharpness the E400 might give me, and in the second, the wide format was something I wanted ...

As it turned out, I was glad I did use the small sensor cam as it give the look I was after.
    (by the way - nice forum, this!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Yes, but the girl who uses it is a badass herself.
    YEAH MAGGIE !!
    You GO GIRL
    I have the DLux3 & GR2 and I'm a badass too!
    Last edited by helenhill; 2nd March 2008 at 08:06.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veriwide View Post
    Get a used GR1, as I did, with the GH-1, GW-1 and GV-1 all for only $450.00 CAD, and you will never look back! Shoot in jpeg and RAW if you need and have the time... and who needs Barrel Distortion ? This combo has become my ersatz M4/21 SA and I love it totally... even more so because of the low cost. Oh, I almost forgot, it also came with a 2 GiG card and 4 batteries ! Bought off of Flickr.

Bernard
    Very very good buy Veriwide. At this point I prefer the GRD first gen for its far more biting jpeg's. Also Tony at Popflash still has some at dicounted prices, he backs his stock perfectly.

As far as the choice of smooth versus smal sensor bite. IMHO I prefer the latter entirely now. It is like when I went wth the Hexar AF as my only film camera, I had just come off using a Fuji GSW690 that I'd been loaned.
    Hi speed film, the bite of grain, and above all the fluid speed and ease of carry won the day for me.
    And even more so with my GRD.
    Last edited by Lili; 2nd March 2008 at 08:12.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    I took these two using the D-Lux 3 when I had that and the E400 with me. In the beach shot, the light was so low I needed the IS capability and was happy to eschew any extra sharpness the E400 might give me, and in the second, the wide format was something I wanted ...

As it turned out, I was glad I did use the small sensor cam as it give the look I was after.
    (by the way - nice forum, this!)

Nice pictures - I especially like the first one, and I quite agree, there are times when there's nothing like a small sensor.

It's a fine forum, high on information, good humour and interesting ladies, and low on aggravation, bad temper and big egos.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Rich,

this (along with Mitch's) work above, reminds me that I have a cracking small sensor camera in the Panasonic LX1... here's a shot from way back when I was using it more regularly :

And the Panasonic FX01 was an absolute gem of a camera... I really miss it now!

The post-FX01 cams went too far with the VenusIII smeared resolution imho... I wish I could find a supplier of the FX01 new.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian
    Where are we ? Scotland, England ??
    Wish I was there!! Helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That last photo is soooooo gorgeous, Brian!

Have you printed it at any size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Helen, these are in the Peak District, near to where I live in Sheffield.

I'll be arranging another UK Photo Safari in this area in due course... you'd be welcome to visit!

And thanks Maggie, no I haven't - although I've just bought a mat cutting machine, so maybe that would be a good exercise! Glad you like it

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, you have changed quite a lot -- something to do with sitting on the Aga?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm both relieved and frustrated simultaneously that other people are going through the same hair-tearing experience I am over the GX100 vx GRD2 decision. It's kind of a "practicality vs. bad-***".... "flexibility vs. best-of-breed"... "jack-of-all-trades vs. expert in one trade" kind of decision. Maybe boiling it down to bad-*** vs. practical is the best approach; forget the specs, focus on the cred :-)

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'm nearly as bad-*** as I'd like to think I am, which possibly should point me towards the practicalities of the GX100. But I want the best quality, and of course I want to be somewhat bad-***, even if I don't remotely look the part in my daggy [is that an Australianism?] clothes, and driving a dusty Renault Clio.

Using gourmet-travel show personalities as analogies, I imagine Anthony Bourdain would carry the GRD/2, while Andrew Zimmer would carry a GX100.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Rich,

this (along with Mitch's) work above, reminds me that I have a cracking small sensor camera in the Panasonic LX1... here's a shot from way back when I was using it more regularly :

And the Panasonic FX01 was an absolute gem of a camera... I really miss it now!

The post-FX01 cams went too far with the VenusIII smeared resolution imho... I wish I could find a supplier of the FX01 new.

Brian, they are all lovely, I like the third one best, positively lyrical it is!
    And I'm very impressed with the FX01 especially.
    This weekend I shot almost 500 shots with my GRD, mostly B&W, and just under 100 with my F6000fd, in color mostly and where I *really* needed the reach. Together both cameras complimented each other well and still massed less, even with both lenses and adapters for the GRD, than my K100D and the lenses needed to cover the same range!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Using gourmet-travel show personalities as analogies, I imagine Anthony Bourdain would carry the GRD/2, while Andrew Zimmer would carry a GX100.
    Not surprisingly, I prefer Tony. (But my SO is more like Andrew.)

Aside from the badassery factor, one more thing in the GR-D II's favor is the idea that from limitations comes creativity. It's like writing a sonnet, as opposed to free verse.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the badassery factor, one more thing in the GR-D II's favor is the idea that from limitations comes creativity. It's like writing a sonnet, as opposed to free verse.
    Yes, that is very true - well said.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a clue who Tony and Andrew are.
    as for the limitations / creativity argument . . . . why not use a pinhole?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Or Haiku, even

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili you're so right
    restraint can bring clarity
    go make photos now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    Speaking for myself, I don't think I'm nearly as bad-*** as I'd like to think I am, which possibly should point me towards the practicalities of the GX100. But I want the best quality, and of course I want to be somewhat bad-***, even if I don't remotely look the part in my daggy [is that an Australianism?] clothes, and driving a dusty Renault Clio.
    Actually you're whole rant had me hysterical
    I was in the same dilemma but now am PURRfectly content w/my GR2
    All the Best helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah - but daggy or not, living in Italy means that you beat us all hands down in badasseryness!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili you're so right
    go make photos now
    Maggie, so many
    shots taken by the hundred
    left for me to sort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    I was in the same dilemma but now am PURRfectly content w/my GR2
    All the Best helen
    I've heard that so often now that I really shouldn't be fretting the decision anymore. In my heart, I know it's the right way to go.

Happy to make people hysterical whenever possible!!

7ian7

The "badass" thing is being taken a bit far; a great picture taken with a GX100 is still better than an OK one taken with a GRD2, and visa versa. The oohs and aahs about pictures from these two cameras have been fairly evenly distributed around here. And for what it's worth, a thoroughly un-sexy $150 manual Pentax K1000 kit loaded with Tri-X or Kodacolor Gold still blows both of them away, if you're talking about capture speed and IQ.

Mitch, I don't subscribe to the M8/dSLR-as-medium-format analogy. 35mm film has way more dynamic tonal range than either of those options, and way, way more than the Ricohs. And in terms of size, street imagery was invented and maybe perfected with cameras that are larger than the GRD2. Its body-size is amazing, but it still poses capture speed and resolution compromises that the pre-digital tiny cameras didn't.

I've made plenty of wow-type imagery with the GX100, but I've come up against capture/focus-speed and resolution issues time and time again. So in a way it makes the successes feel a bit like a parlor trick. I'm usually an apologist for these limitations — practically an evangelist because on some level I love the Ricohs. But these issues have begun to erode my confidence and question the wisdom of committing to a camera that has failed me in circumstances where a better camera wouldn't have.

I'm sorry if questioning the wisdom of using small sensor cameras in a small sensor forum is out of line, but there it is.

Mitch Alland

...I'm sorry if questioning the wisdom of using small sensor cameras in a small sensor forum is out of line, but there it is.
    No problem, Ian. I certainly don't believe that "one size fits all".

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like

Ah - but daggy or not, living in Italy means that you beat us all hands down in badasseryness!
    There's no shortage of badass subjects (and backgrounds for subjects) around here to photograph, I have to admit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's no shortage of badass subjects (and backgrounds for subjects) around here to photograph, I have to admit!
    you've kept me giggling as well here! and i think you've made your decision (whether you realise it or not).... my brother fell in love with my GRDII, even as i tried to push him towards the practicality of the GX100. he wanted to be badass. he is badass! as are you...

become one with your surroundings, it's very zen! you've made your decision -- be a badass!

wbrandsma

Cam is right Kai. I choosed the GX100 for its practicality (my wife wanted a zoom lens and I wanted a wideangle lens). Know I would opt the GRDII as well. It is the main reason why I still love my old GR1. Simplicity. With a prime lens you will make the composition and not the camera with a zoom lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    Cam is right Kai. I choosed the GX100 for its practicality (my wife wanted a zoom lens and I wanted a wideangle lens). Know I would opt the GRDII as well. It is the main reason why I still love my old GR1. Simplicity. With a prime lens you will make the composition and not the camera with a zoom lens.
    Of course - my pinhole camera jibe was just that.
    For me though, I use the M8 for that job, and now I have the GX100 I find I'm using it more than I thought - for instance I'll put one lens on the M8 and stick the GX 100 in another pocket - lovely though a GRDII is, it would not offer the same flexibility.

Yesterday it was the GX100, and the M8 with a nocti - today it'll be something different (perhaps the 75 'cron). It's a good way to shoot.

Still not sure about the addon lenses though - seems to turn it into a palaver, which is not the purpose of a small camera (for me at least).

Just this guy you know

PeterLeyssens

Lili you're so right
    go make photos now
    Talking about restraint: a real haiku would have a reference to the season in the first line

I've been all over the place, considering the GR-D, then the GX-100, then the LX-2, then the GR-D ii, then back to the GX-100, then back to the LX-2, then on to the Leica D-Lux 3 and now back to the GX-100. Now I really think I will settle for the GX-100, honestly !

The main advantage is the 24mm, otherwise I would've gone D-Lux 3 some time ago. The main disadvantage is the raw speed: the Leica is faster even with bigger RAWs. Aside from that, I think a pocketable 24-72 will be sufficient to shoot what I do (portraits and some tourism) for some time. €450 is what I consider to be fairly cheap. The LX-2 is cheap, the D-Lux 3 is fairly expensive and the GR-D ii with the 40mm TC and a viewfinder is really expensive for what it is.

The GX-100 will be my first digital camera, after a long period with Olympus SLRs and a few years with Leica screwmount cameras (& clones). The Ricoh is quite versatile, so I expect it will be enough for a while, until Olympus gets some smaller lenses out or until I stumble over an M8 by accident. (I bid $2000 on one but within a few hours, it went up to $3500 on yaBe... Still hoping for the $1000 M8 find one day )

Peter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLeyssens View Post
    Talking about restraint: a real haiku would have a reference to the season in the first line

I've been all over the place, considering the GR-D, then the GX-100, then the LX-2, then the GR-D ii, then back to the GX-100, then back to the LX-2, then on to the Leica D-Lux 3 and now back to the GX-100. Now I really think I will settle for the GX-100, honestly !
    Buy it quick . . . before you have time to change your mind!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it, they are all lovely and capable cameras.

Just this guy you know

Colman

ures from these two cameras have been fairly evenly distributed around here. And for what it's worth, a thoroughly un-sexy $150 manual Pentax K1000 kit loaded with Tri-X or Kodacolor Gold still blows both of them away, if you're talking about capture speed and IQ.
    This is obviously true, but film is expensive and impractical except for special projects, as far as I'm concerned.

Mitch, I don't subscribe to the M8/dSLR-as-medium-format analogy. 35mm film has way more dynamic tonal range than either of those options, and way, way more than the Ricohs. And in terms of size, street imagery was invented and maybe perfected with cameras that are larger than the GRD2. Its body-size is amazing, but it still poses capture speed and resolution compromises that the pre-digital tiny cameras didn't.
    This also is true.

But these issues have begun to erode my confidence and question the wisdom of committing to a camera that has failed me in circumstances where a better camera wouldn't have.
    Would you have had the better camera with you? I'm quite taken with the analogy between the small sensor cameras and a sketchbook. If your primary interest is painting then you're never going to regard your sketches as more than preparatory work. I know that I am not going to carry my SLR kit unless I'm reasonably certain that there will be time and opportunities for some dedicated photograph making. The GR-D and accessories allow me to do some casual photography as and when the opportunity arises without an impractical (for me) amount of gear or an impossible expenditure of money: I can't justify paying for an M8 and the associated glass!

I'm sorry if questioning the wisdom of using small sensor cameras in a small sensor forum is out of line, but there it is.
    For some people the compromises are justified: sounds like they may not be for you. Some people like charcoal as their main medium.

7ian7

I like that charcoal metaphor. I've been way deep in to Polaroids and impressionistic emulsions like EES and Agfachrome and laser copies at various points in my photographic life. My father made incredible pictures — and big enlargements — using a Minox. There are times and images that simply don't hinge on "high" resolution, per se. And film can be a huge, deal-breaking hassle. The charcoal metaphor doesn't address shutter lag or focus and RAW speed, but in terms of artistic intent, it is dead on.

My frustration has been both about missing pictures and having to sidestep, hide, or correct certain sensor limitations in post-processing, when a different camera wouldn't have presented those challenges; and this all because I'm kind of committed to that drilled-down variables philosophy and approach that some others here are expressing. So it's my fault, in a way, for not honoring the limitations of this palette. But since I'm not always able to fully predict what my expectations for every picture will be, I've been wondering if I shouldn't just err on the side of a more robust capture.

Regarding portability, I sling a fanny pack bandolero-style across my chest to carry my GX100 fitted with lens barrel and filter, extra battery, memory, etc. A D300 with pancake lens, like that Voightlander 40mm, would fit in that bag. But yes, the GRD2 on its own would draw a more serious distinction in terms of a camera that is always on hand, especially for those comfortable with a 28 prime.

Anyway, I'm not planning on selling my GX100 any time soon, which is a sign that, whatever my frustrations, I've already made some meaningful pictures with it and developed an emotional connection to it that doesn't occur with every camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, I'm not planning on selling my GX100 any time soon, which is a sign that, whatever my frustrations, I've already made some meaningful pictures with it and developed an emotional connection to it that doesn't occur with every camera.
    This is a big deal to me...with all my creative tools. I've had great basses and guitars over the years that I've sold for one reason or another (admitedly often because I found a new "girl"). But for whatever reason, certain ones just worked *for me* and I bonded with them. I'm finding the same with cameras. The only expensive part is that I'm also finding that like with instruments, the ones that feel good at first often times aren't the long term keepers, and those that I struggle with a bit can sometimes become quite comfortable and/or push me in good ways if I'm patient and give them a chance.

Hmm...I suppose that goes for relationships with the opposite sex as well. Yet another life lesson...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    This is a big deal to me...with all my creative tools. I've had great basses and guitars over the years that I've sold for one reason or another (admitedly often because I found a new "girl"). But for whatever reason, certain ones just worked *for me* and I bonded with them. I'm finding the same with cameras. The only expensive part is that I'm also finding that like with instruments, the ones that feel good at first often times aren't the long term keepers, and those that I struggle with a bit can sometimes become quite comfortable and/or push me in good ways if I'm patient and give them a chance.

Hmm...I suppose that goes for relationships with the opposite sex as well. Yet another life lesson...
    Hi There
    Absolutely - I quite agree, it's the struggles that are worthwhile, and I guess that the cameras I've had over the last few years which have most got to me are the Kodak 14n, and the Leica M8 - both of which were something of a struggle to master, but both of which produced splendid images.

Mind you, everything does have limitations - but if you stick the GX100 on snap focus and jpg mode, then you aren't going to miss too many pictures!

Just this guy you know

7ian7

Your M8 sounds like a better bet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your M8 sounds like a better bet.
    Well, the 14n has long since gone, and the M8 is certainly a good bet

Just this guy you know

PeterLeyssens

Buy it quick . . . before you have time to change your mind!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it, they are all lovely and capable cameras.
    D'oh ! I should've followed your advice ! Now Olympus has a pancape lens out and I'm reconsidering

Part of the fun of photography is, of course, looking around for equipment, but I'll need to decide rather quickly as I haven't taken a picture in far too long ! Guess it'll be the GX-100 anyway because it's much more portable and I'll be much more happy to carry it around.

Peter.

7ian7

Is the GX100 more portable? I find
    its build a bit delicate. The Oly is larger,
    but its more robust build could conceivably
    translate in to less hesitation about having
    it along.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the GX100 more portable? I find
    its build a bit delicate. The Oly is larger,
    but its more robust build could conceivably
    translate in to less hesitation about having
    it along.
    Ian
    One of the few things I truly dislike about any of these little cameras is the fragile retracting lens mechanism. It can also be an avenue for dust.
    A "fixed"/non-retracting lens is far sturdier and better sealed ( at least until its removed).
    I would be willing to put up with a greater footprint in return for these advantages!
    This little e420/25 f2.8 or even the 410 with the same pancake lens would truly be awesome for street and general work
    Lili

7ian7

Totally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Ian
    One of the few things I truly dislike about any of these little cameras is the fragile retracting lens mechanism. It can also be an avenue for dust.
    Lili
    I have a GX100 and I am generally very pleased with it. Back in the old days when I used film I had a Minox GTE which went everywhere with me whenever I could not take an SLR. I have tried many p&s cameras as replacements for the Minox. I bought the GX100 last August. I did not get the GRD as I wanted 35mm EFL rather than 28mm. The GX100 with the step zoom is a good solution. After having the camera for 2 weeks I got a nasty dose of dust inside the lens, so far as I can understand a very common problem with this camera. The dealer exchanged the camera for a new one and over 1000 exposures later no repeat of the problem.....yet! I am however totally paranoid about dust, and never carry it between shots without the lens cap on.

This problem means that I would never buy a GX100 again, despite its many virtues.

BTW has anyone had a dust ingress problem in a GRD or GRDll?

Peter