The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bali Clouds

Don Ellis

A few more infrared shots from the plane as we were leaving Bali. The effects of infrared on the sky are even more dramatic when you’re in the air. These are from July 2005 and this is the first time they’re seeing the light of day. :)

The camera is a modified Canon G1 with a B+W 093 infrared filter. ISO50, generally f/4, shutter speed ranged from 1/200s to 1/320s.

Click images for larger images… from 275KB to 600KB.

Don

R

Richard Franiec

Don,

Spectacular IR images, very surreal.
I like them all, but my favorite would be #2 and #5.

Too bad that on #5 some reflections from airplane window glass are visible (or what appears like reflections).

Thanks for sharing

Richard

D

ddk

Very interesting view shooting IR from a plane, like them a lot Don!

Don Ellis

Nice shots Don! The IR does create a unique look with the clouds.
Thank you... clouds and skies can look especially interesting in infrared. And shooting from planes gives you a different view of the world... plus something to do between meals. :p

Don

Don Ellis

Don,

Spectacular IR images, very surreal.
I like them all, but my favorite would be #2 and #5.

Too bad that on #5 some reflections from airplane window glass are visible (or what appears like reflections).

Thanks for sharing
Richard
Hi Richard,

I agree with your choices. It was #2 that made me think about posting at all... and then I looked for a few others. Amazing how I can take photos... then file 'em and forget 'em. :)

I tried my best to keep reflections out of the frame, but that doesn't mean I succeeded.

Don

Don Ellis

Don you're killing me! I'm so close to sending my 1Ds II in for conversion...
I'm the wrong person to talk to... because I'd say DO IT!

If you like these, you can just imagine what a large-sensor camera can do and the fine detail it will capture. As much as I enjoyed seeing these again, I was reminded of the limitations of a small-sensor camera.

Don

Don Libby

I'm the wrong person to talk to... because I'd say DO IT!

If you like these, you can just imagine what a large-sensor camera can do and the fine detail it will capture. As much as I enjoyed seeing these again, I was reminded of the limitations of a small-sensor camera.

Don
Okay I ordered a 24-105 to go along with the 1DsII. Just as soon as I get the lens and I return from two trips the two are going to Precision Camera for a make over. I hope to have everything back and up and running by Oct when I head to Yosemite.

Thanks for the advice!

Don

Don Ellis

Okay I ordered a 24-105 to go along with the 1DsII. Just as soon as I get the lens and I return from two trips the two are going to Precision Camera for a make over. I hope to have everything back and up and running by Oct when I head to Yosemite.

Thanks for the advice!
Don
Congratulations on the decision. I was going to send you Gisle Hannemyr's webpage on IR sensitivity, but I'll do it now. I checked and the 24-105 is one of the recommended lenses for infrared.

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html#lenses

Cheers,
Don