Site Sponsors

Thread: D-lux 3 in winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D-lux 3 in winter

As told in an earlier thread, I bought my D-lux 3 a few weeks ago, and left for our annual ski holiday shortly after. Normally, I would have brought my beloved Digilux 2, but as a challenge (and to force myself to learn the new tool), I took only the D-lux 3.

The result: I made several times as many exposures as I normally do, most of them quite decent ones...

Here are some examples:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attach...1&d=1204291265
    Sun, mist and snow...

Wow!

Rule One: Never go alone in the mountains! Bring a friend!

Thai food and snow-chilled beer at night..

All images are raw, uncropped, and with minimum Lightroom adjustments. Camera set on P, ISO 100 outdoors, 400 in cabin.

Conclusions: With raw, even in the extreme contrast of the first one, thereŽs detail everywhere (even in the shaded birch trunk, if one had decided to lift it...). So exposure-wise, this tiny tot seems to be up to the task. However, when the aperture went to f/8 (the limit on this camera), it is obvious that diffraction kills much of the resolution. Next time, IŽll use the A setting to control it (a built-in ND filter, like the one in CanonŽs G series, would have been a good thing).

Even with the Hi intensity setting, the LCD image was next to impossible to see in the sun and snow (I knew it would be... ).

The small grip area, and the many tiny buttons made the camera impossible to use with any kind of gloves, and it was -10 deg C outside... BRRRR!

So, honestly, next time IŽll take my Digilux 2 along as well, and take that one when shooting outdoors. It works quite well with shooterŽs mitts on, and the controls are easy to adjust.

But result-wise, (once the evening glass of single malt has thawed the fingers) IŽm very happy with the new one. And I LOVE that 16:9 format!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D-lux 3 in winter

D-mn! I thought I would get the images interleaved with the text, like everyone else does... Hope it is possible to follow it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully exposed snow scenes. I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks so these are really getting me in the mood. Nice work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous work, Per!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    D-mn! I thought I would get the images interleaved with the text, like everyone else does... Hope it is possible to follow it anyway.
    Put [img] in front of the image URL and [/img] after it and the images will appear in your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gromitspapa View Post
    Put [img] in front of the image URL and [/img] after it and the images will appear in your post.
    OK, so I have to write the HTML tags myself; thought the forum software would do it for me...

Will try it in my next thread. Thanks!

And thanks to Maggie O and Will for your kind words!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    OK, so I have to write the HTML tags myself; thought the forum software would do it for me...

Will try it in my next thread. Thanks!

And thanks to Maggie O and Will for your kind words!
    LOL - it does it for you - just click on the little mountain on the toolbar, and it'll give you the tags.

I agree, lovely shots, and tempting - I'm off on Tuesday week for our skiing trip - snow's looking dodgy right now, but forecast more for next week. I have to decide which camera to take.
    more decisions!

Just this guy you know