The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP1 from the street

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Here's a few from the EP1 yesterday at Atlantic City...
More and some comments later after work and some wine....
Shooter

I don't know how to get larger files up here.....frustrating!

Last edited:

sizifo

Just uploading a larger image should do it, no? Even though you get small thumbnails in the thread that you have to click on with the new setup of the form. (Jack & Guy, not sure this is a great new feature. :) )

On the other hand, you could upload flickr or pbase, which makes posting images here a lot easier.

pollobarca

Nice first pix , miserable day it seems! Like the second pic and the ladies on the left in the first are interesting to look at and wonder what they are thinking .

I am currently thinking on the EP1, E620 or panasonic G1. My needs and pocket suggest the Panasonic, the style I want is EP1 plus IS on the sensor. The E 620 would be only for the sensor IS but with a downturn in size.
You have gone for the EP1- what convinced you?
thanks n rgds

paul

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeah I know.... They're mine and I can't see' em...
I'll send a link later to webshots...
But the camera is very nice. Maybe I'll even
take a peek at the manual... Someday...
Very intuitive.....
Shooter

andrewteee

Glad you like. I think it's fun and I'm learning how to best configure it and get as much as I can out of it. It has reinvigorated my desire to photograph on a daily basis, even without the EP1. Today, I took out my Zeiss Ikon and Sigma DP2. Left the EP1 at home.

Sidenote: I've also been taking movies with the EP1. This morning my 3.5 year old son was cracking up watching himself on video.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm going to push the envelope with this camera this weekend....at ISO 2000 it's very good and in B&W needs no noise reduction....It looks to me to be like the DP1 at about 800...so not bad....I think the DP1 has a better look to the images but maybe because there is no good RAW converter yet...I'll just make images and play with them and wait for CS4 and LR to be on board...
more later.......

smokysun

don,
i'd be interested in the ergonomics: raw write time, and so on. the dp1 has so many drawbacks in this department.
at the same time i realized you could modify the dp1 for 35mm by getting a 35 viewfinder and masking off the lcd. then cropping the first pic in lightroom and applying it to all the rest. this couldn't really be called cropping at all and would give you the pleasure of shooting at 35. (the dp2 would be even easier with a conversion wide-angle lens that gave exactly the mm desired.)
i don't consider these mickey mouse solutions. the point is to get the shot and enjoy doing so.
have fun. i'd love to try the ep1 out.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
wayne,
Well, the camera is very easy to get in the work flow. I put on of my Lugi straps on it and it's perfect. That helps with the grip also...

The front has a pebble like leatherette that is on an angle to the outer end of the body...very nice to hold the fingers against and very easy to move them around without feeling like your loosing the grip....

The rear has a thumb rest that is just above the notched adjustment barrel....at first, it was east to hit the barrel but just looking at the thum as it finds it's resting place a few times and the position is memorized.

It has real strap lugs......gotta love that....The release finger finds it's home with no effort at all...and the 1/2 release to get focus or exposure is very firm yet very defined...It's got the mode selector dial on the top left which I find very interesting but functional. It has a notched wheel that adjust the mode....very precise movement...and it doesn't ever get out of position like a few cameras we all know about....

There is a film plane marker for critical macro work...nice....

The screen is nice..there's alot about the screen that people criticize but I think they should make pictures and leave the screen alone. It's not the brightest nor the darkest but it has good view from almost any angle. Hip shooters will be in heaven...AND...when you view from an angle, it's very easy to see the AF box...that's real nice.....

The rear controls are thought out very well and are very, very intuitive...so much so that still, I have not read the manual....The ones you need are right there.....
I do find that sometimes, my thumb hits the WB part of the button on the right side...
more than 1 time I had to re-set the WB because it moved without me knowing it...
not a design issue, a user issue...I have to re write the thumb program in my brain....

The camera starts right up and it feels like just a second or so....it focus with AF rather fast and accurate.....Even with ISO 2000, 1/8 3.5...the AF did not hunt...that's good enough...

It writes fast but and I'll bet most users don't know this..it will AF and write a second image almost instantly after the first exposure...

What happens is this...youn release and then the camera starts to record...the screen kinda freezes...BUTT....if you just hit the release 1/2 down, your ready yto go again...I managed to get 2 frames in just 1 1/2 seconds...now this is with the camera set on single exposure....not multi.....

The camera is constructed with extreme care to design and finish. It has a beautiful finish to the metal and it liiks wonderful...just like a camera should.

I don't like zoom lenses but this one...the 14/42 is nice. The cool thing is that you adjust the zoom by rotating the collar like the old dayz.....not some stupid finger thinggy by the release....

The lens is sharp enough for a zoomie but has very good contrast..that's much more important that anything else in a lens design...Leica knows that but probably no one else does....there is a very travel thru the entire zoom range with no kinks any where....

The camera even makes a great focal plane shutter sound on release...not a digital sound but a real shutter sound....man..that just warms the heart for an old timer....

All in all it's a wonderful camera and I feel very free with it. Funny, I even like the 28mm for the 1st time in my life......That's really weird...Siggy will not forgive me for that last statement....

Working with the screen is ok...I prefer a viewfinder and maybe I'll go that route...only if they firmware in a scale...if not....the screen stays....
How the heck do they expect a serious shooter to use that 17mm and finder without a scale......?

well...end part 1....gotta process some images to send to webshots....

Later......
don

pollobarca

Don,
thanks for the user details. Not many write so sensibly about a camera and how its used.
Look forward to seeing more pics from this camera. BTW if you want a half case Japan Exposures has them for sale. No doubt costs an arm and leg but they are very good accessories.
b rgds

paul

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Paul,
Thanks....I will post more images but processing is about as much fun a diarreah......

The included software is the worst.......So, it's very slow going.....hopefully tonight...
Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks D,
I always test a new camera with AF and color.
Once I understand the way the camera translates...
I jump to my work in B&W.
So far, no complaints with either, in
fact....it's like a fine guitar...
better everytime ya use it....
Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
More images were added today...and more coming....The OLY software makes me want to paint the kitchen....
Yeah, it's that much fun....
shhhhh shooter

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Today, I used RAW and Super Fine Large Jpeg...
The new images are worked a litttle in PS but from the camera they are very good....

Check out the new ones on the above link...