Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone use a ND Grad filter with the Ricoh?

Hypnohare

Anyone use a ND Grad filter with the Ricoh?

I've been doing a lot of outdoor photography with my Ricoh GR II and often I use a Hoya circular polarizer to good effect.

I've been thinking of occasionally using an ND grad filter to control the bright caribbean skies.

Has anyone here used a Cokin "A" filter system with the Ricoh? I know I can get a 37mm adaptor ring from Cokin and attach their filter holder system. But I am afraid that with Ricoh's 28mm wide angle lens, there might be some vignetting.

It's funny I have a box full of large Cokin filters (as well as Tiffen "Pro-Mists") which I used to use about 12 years ago with a mattebox on video cameras. But there is no way that I will carry these big filters that are larger than the Ricoh.

The good news is that the Cokin "A" filters are pretty inexpensive so I won't mind purchasing a ND1 and a ND2. I just don't want to spend the money, only to find that I am getting all this vignetting!

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Colman

Re: Anyone use a ND Grad filter with the Ricoh?

It's ok with the 28mm - I haven't noticed any vignetting - with a step-down ring and the HA-1 tube, it's ok hanging the filter holder over the end of the GW-1 (though not very secure, lucky they're cheap!), but the GT-1 is wider than the A holder and won't work at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I recalled someone at Pavel's forums talking about the alternative method of mounting Cokin filters to the GRD via the tripod shoe mount holder they make; here's the link:

http://ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=648

Cheers,
    Kai

Colman

That was me - I think the recent version of that adaptor will work, but the one that I have, which is older and smaller, doesn't work except with the 28mm. Nothing will help with the GT-1 unless you're willing to accept some pretty serious vignetting.

Actually on further thought, it occurs to me that the new version would probably be too far out in front of the 28mm and would probably get in the way. It might very well work with the GT-1 though.
    Last edited by Colman; 4th March 2008 at 12:01. Reason: Update.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Colman View Post
    That was me
    Ha! So it was! I didn't even notice

Hypnohare

Thanks for the info! When I get the equipment, I'll report how it all worked out.