The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Obama, The New Champ

pollobarca

Did you ask him for a release? Wake him up and tell him about his photo?
Sorry taking pics of people in unfortunate circumstances, unless its news worthy
journalism, is not for me. When I have done this ( it happens) I normally junk the files.This is just me , there is of course no hard and fast rule or moralism.
Every picture tells a story- well its very clear here! poor bugger looks well down on his luck.
For example Ricoh have their annual photo competition and its a difficult one,
theme is
“Laughter.” (Fun and interesting photos that give the viewer a warm feeling and make the viewer laugh). I dont think pix of cuddly dogs and babies will win anything.
I've been thinking of taking pictures , for this contest, of a street walker near to the office, shes a scream but would it be fair on her ? I also dont want to ask her and ruin the image.She'll start posing or hit me (if I'm lucky Both).
Things that make us laugh (Ironic comment on Obama included) do not neccessarily
give us a warm feeling.
Your picture can make us laugh, its interesting (what happened to this guy!) but theres no love of the person so down on his luck at that moment and no warmth. Well thats how I see it, I hope to be corrected.
Nicely taken picture all the same

All the best

paul

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
hmmmm, dunno

He's got clean white sox on...nice sneakers...clean denim shorts, nice clothes al around...and a watch and some keys to some where and the luggage ...
I would suspect this in not a homeless person but a guy that made the wrong choice for a short spell....
by the way...that sssips lemon aid now comes unsweetened...

besides it's a funny image and it works....

Will

Looks to me like he just partied to hard the night before, or he is a street entertainer having a rest. Remains of gold paint makeup on his face gives a clue.

D

ddk

- Streetshooter and Will, you're both right, he's not a homeless person. The street where I shot this is near the train station in New York and lined with bars. Seeing people passed out on the sidewalks is a regular site there.

- ShiroKuro I found it ironic too, good for a laugh, thanks.

- Paul, although its always good to get one, legally you don't need a release from people when shooting in public. How an image makes you feel is personal, I'm satisfied when it does something for the viewer, thanks for looking and commenting.

- Rawfa, you're right, passing out in public from too much consumption is degrading.

Last edited:

Rawfa

David, tell us the truth, you saw the opportunity for a great photo and decided to knock the guy out cold. ;-)