Site Sponsors

Thread: The Height of Luxury

Post Thanks / Like

The Height of Luxury

With the global recession severely impacting the luxury goods market and with the rising cost of even being French S.T. Dupont have announced the relocation of their international headquarters to Hong Kong. Perched atop their flagship store, the new headquarters is an exercise in cost-savings, with its stark exterior and lack of designer touches in the executive offices, which are reached by bamboo ladder from the back of the shop.

Sigma DP2 click for larger image.

Don

P.S. In reality, the luxury-goods market in Hong Kong seems impervious to economic trends. The Chanel shop across from my office is packed every time I look in, which is often. We may have knock-off products in the back alleys of Hong Kong, but on the main streets, the genuine article is still much in demand. And the 60% off? Probably on a keychain, with normal prices on everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Height of Luxury

Hilarious, Don. The unassuming air-conditioning system puts the final touch to the elegance of the international headquarters building
    Thanks for making my day,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought Dupont lighters were poor imitations of Dunhill lighters. Now I can see where they make 'em!

Nice one Don

paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

D upton-Hackett.

( Executive offices, which are reached by bamboo ladder from the back of the shop.)
    No health and safety in Hong-Kong then.

Super colours.

Derek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Hilarious, Don. The unassuming air-conditioning system puts the final touch to the elegance of the international headquarters building
    Thanks for making my day,
    Osman
    Sorry, got so busy I forgot to say thank you... I agree, the air-conditioning system completes the photo. How sad for Louis to have a shack for a hat.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    I always thought Dupont lighters were poor imitations of Dunhill lighters. Now I can see where they make 'em!
    Nice one Don
    paul
    Funny, Paul... I don't smoke, but I love lighters. But I bought a Dunhill years ago as a present for someone and it was truly a luxury item.

Bought a Porsche Design flame-thrower a few months ago that was spectacular, but only for seconds. When I found it wouldn't do the jet-exhaust flame for more than a few seconds, I returned it.

And a friend gave me a Zippo, which I recall as being very low-tech and reliable. But it seems to run out of fuel in just a day... or leak inside my pocket... so it's on the shelf and I am lighterless.

I'm thinking Strike Anywhere matches in a small waterproof case... now that's retro... and reliable.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D upton-Hackett. View Post
    ( Executive offices, which are reached by bamboo ladder from the back of the shop.)
    No health and safety in Hong-Kong then.

Super colours.
    Derek.
    OSHA's pretty non-existent over here... I have yet to see a jackhammer operator wearing ear protection. Amazing.

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

I love HK (my g/f was born there). One of my favorite shots involves the bamboo scaffolds (DLux3 iirc):

More of a laowai view of HK here:

http://nostatic.com/photos/hk08/