The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-420

G

GeneW

I'm wondering what it would be like to use this camera with an external 50mm finder, such as the CV 50 1:1. Since focus is automatic, it might work for shooting quickly, and being able to keep both eyes open while shooting.

Brian Mosley

I'm wondering what it would be like to use this camera with an external 50mm finder, such as the CV 50 1:1. Since focus is automatic, it might work for shooting quickly, and being able to keep both eyes open while shooting.
The OVF is quite good enough for fast framing... but if you already have the external finder it would be interesting to see how it works for you.

Kind Regards

Brian

DavidL

It's sooooo small. I had a look at one at the Olympus day at digital depot.
I queried the 50mm pancake, as in why 50mm. Olympus said, as the first pancake lens they thought 25mm (50mm equivalent) was the way to go. I of course disagreed and said I'd want an 11mm and 50mmish. I guess your all hoping the word "first" was the operative word.
It was a pretty busy day for d.d. and my friend came away with a new 50-200 SWD. If you want his old one cheap, see my thread on buy and sell.
I'm currently entrenched in Nikon (D300) land but if I ever get to do some traveling or go on holiday the 420 would be a great camera. Mind you by the time I get to go away there may well be the other pancakes which would make it a no brainer. Olympus probably don't listen to me that much anymore as they probably heard about my cat smuggling at Jono's:wtf: and figure I've betrayed them. I did pose as a photographer for d.d. because no one seemed to want to photograph the model. I do that sort of thing so as this is my first real post see attached photo, but it's off a D300
David

Last edited:

DavidL

Woops. Image is a bit big.
Also this isn't the model at the Olympus day. This is a young lady who models for us occasionally. She isn't professional but is pretty good and works alongside pro. models well.
While I have your attention, she may consider modeling so what do you guys think.
Bear in mind this was just a grab shot between set ups, so she can do better.
Thanks
David

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I have your attention, she may consider modeling so what do you guys think.
Bear in mind this was just a grab shot between set ups, so she can do better.
Thanks
David
If she can cook, I'll marry her :D

Nice portrait, beautiful model :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have both the 420 + pancake and the DP-1 on order. I had a 410, and it is VERY quiet, mirror-shutter wise. I will sell the one I like the least. I am hoping for a wide prime too.

To Terry: the 420 is so light and small that any long lenses on it are going to be pretty unbalanced, I feel. If light is what you need, the 510 and its successor are not that much bigger and heavier, and IS is built in, and the grip is much more substantial. The PanaLeica lenses with IS are all relatively heavy, as I recall, so I feel they are not good matches for the 420 either.

I think that the DP-1 or the 410 will be nice snapshot cameras—and small enough to go anywhere. I have never felt like taking the D3 and the 24–70 out with me on a walk around the neighbourhood!

Brian Mosley

Hi Kit, large lenses can work very well on the E-4x0 - in terms of handling but I agree the E-5x0 or E-3 is much more sensible for the reach (or ideally, check out the PanaLeica 14-150mm with OIS - which I found to be very well balanced on the E-420 last Saturday)

You're right about the DP1 - I'm just starting a campaign to have the thing 'finished' though... the UI still feels like beta s/w to me.

Kind Regards

Brian

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
So, Terry, another perspective.

Brian, what is that 14-150 like? That is an incredible zoom range—but (for me) kind of defeats the overall purpose.

I will join the "finish the DP-1" campaign as soon as you get it going and direct me to it! I guess I will have to wait until it is delivered, though.

:)

Terry

So, Terry, another perspective.

Brian, what is that 14-150 like? That is an incredible zoom range—but (for me) kind of defeats the overall purpose.

I will join the "finish the DP-1" campaign as soon as you get it going and direct me to it! I guess I will have to wait until it is delivered, though.

:)
Hi Kit,
I was hoping they would have also upgraded the 510 and done a 520 with the E3 sensor. I was a bit paranoid about DR and the tendency for both the 410 and 510 to blow highlights. But since it wasn't announced I sprang for a D300 which arrived last night....I know I didn't stay small but the D300 was mighty sweet. I have the 70-300 coming from another forum member and am figuring out the wide normal end. This will give me a simple two lens kit. While not small it felt good. After going that route and attempting to stay a bit lighter and out of the nikon pro range (excluding the 12-24, 24-70, 70-200) I think Oly has the edge on good mid zoom lenses.

My equivalent of the pancake kit is to go out shooting with the M8 one lens either 28 cron or 50 lux and no bag which is my norm when out in NYC shooting. My dslr was the result of the 90 being my longest M lens and while I love my CV12mm and going wide long can be fun.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Brian,
It would be very interesting to get some info on your experiences with the 14-150. Looks like the perfect walk-around for my E-1.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The D300 is a very nice camera, to be sure (I have one, too). Don't ignore the cheap plastic zooms, either. I have a Nikkor 18–70/3.5-4.5 that makes very nice images on the D300, and the CA is automatically corrected apparently, too. It is my 'walk-around' lens, and is a bargain. That 70–300 VR (is that the one you are getting?) definitely looks the goods for your purpose. cheers, kl

Terry

The D300 is a very nice camera, to be sure (I have one, too). Don't ignore the cheap plastic zooms, either. I have a Nikkor 18–70/3.5-4.5 that makes very nice images on the D300, and the CA is automatically corrected apparently, too. It is my 'walk-around' lens, and is a bargain. That 70–300 VR (is that the one you are getting?) definitely looks the goods for your purpose. cheers, kl
Yes, I have a 70-300 on its way from another forum member. On the wide side it is either going to be the new 16-85 or I will go for the gusto and get the 24-70. The 16-85 has a better range starting at the equivalent of 24mm vs 36mm. While the 18-70 is faster than the 16-24 which is f3.5-5.6 the new lens has VR II. I just want someone I know (who also knows the Nikon lenses) to test the 16-85 first :grin:

I'm going to take a look at the 18-70 thanks for the heads up.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

jonoslack

I just want someone I know (who also knows the Nikon lenses) to test the 16-85 first :grin:
Hi Terry - but as I said in the other thread, the problem with the cheaper nikon lenses is not the design, but the variability, so unless you got someone to test a lens and then let you have it . . . .

Why not just buy one and spend a few hours with a tripod and a brick wall to check that it does what you want?

Terry

Hi Terry - but as I said in the other thread, the problem with the cheaper nikon lenses is not the design, but the variability, so unless you got someone to test a lens and then let you have it . . . .

Why not just buy one and spend a few hours with a tripod and a brick wall to check that it does what you want?
I am going to test. It I'm sure I will look funny in front of a brick wall in NYC
I only will have one for a while I was giving the end state of a 2 lense kit.

Brian Mosley

Brian,
It would be very interesting to get some info on your experiences with the 14-150. Looks like the perfect walk-around for my E-1.
Hi Jorgen,

I think you're right - the 14-150 would make the perfect walk around lens for the E-1, and even better with the E-420.

Here are a couple of shots by Tom Heslop, one of our Safari Group members who was trying out the 14-150 on the E-420... what a killer combination!

Check out the smooth backgrounds, and this lens is sharp!

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the samples, Brian. Guess I have to start saving. The PanaLeica isn't exactly cheap. How was the build quality compared to the Zuikos?