The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-420

Riley

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono, I've been watching BS Bill's entertaining leaks and holding my breath! lol

I hope that you will be able to join us at the end of this month, I'd really appreciate your own take on the E-420 in use ;) (p.s. will you bring your GX100? - I'm not writing it off as a serious and flexible pocket cam)

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Jono, I've been watching BS Bill's entertaining leaks and holding my breath! lol
I missed those, which is a pity, Bill leaks so enticingly!

I hope that you will be able to join us at the end of this month, I'd really appreciate your own take on the E-420 in use ;) (p.s. will you bring your GX100? - I'm not writing it off as a serious and flexible pocket cam)

Kind Regards

Brian
Where is the trip? I guess it'll be weekend, which is always tricky for me, but I'll see what I can do.

I must say, as far as the GX100 is concerned, I'd have thought that the E420 was more of a problem for those contemplating a Sigma DP-1

cam

I must say, as far as the GX100 is concerned, I'd have thought that the E420 was more of a problem for those contemplating a Sigma DP-1
raises hand!

sigh. happy GRD/GRDII owner that sometimes wants something more... i've been avidly following all the DP1 threads and now this... double sigh.

Brian Mosley

Yes, actually this makes the decision easier... the Ricoh GX100 for ultimate pocketable small sensor cam. Olympus E-420 for not much bigger, serious DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

I don't know the Oly lens line up. Do any of the good long zooms have stabailization in the lens?

I know there is a Panny one for the L10 that also works for the contrast detection AF. So maybe this would work on thr E420. Just looking at coverage longer than the M8 can get.

jonoslack

I don't know the Oly lens line up. Do any of the good long zooms have stabailization in the lens?

I know there is a Panny one for the L10 that also works for the contrast detection AF. So maybe this would work on thr E420. Just looking at coverage longer than the M8 can get.
hi Terry
None of the Olympus lenses have IS, because most of the bodies do. Of course you can get panaleica lenses which do, but its not an attractive proposition for those of us who already have 4/3 lenses from Olympia which cover the range and are weatherproofed

Brian Mosley

Jono's right of course... and I'm a big lover of IS, but a key feature of this cam is that it's the smallest DSLR in the world - and now with the E-3 (enhanced?) sensor we can expect better S/N and DR... which makes the prospect of shooting at higher ISO's more realistic.

The other thing is, with 4/3rds you can use fast legacy lenses - like the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 (EFL of 80mm) - although the 25mm f2.8 pancake lens looks very sexy indeed :

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

Jono's right of course... and I'm a big lover of IS, but a key feature of this cam is that it's the smallest DSLR in the world - and now with the E-3 (enhanced?) sensor we can expect better S/N and DR... which makes the prospect of shooting at higher ISO's more realistic.

The other thing is, with 4/3rds you can use fast legacy lenses - like the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 (EFL of 80mm) - although the 25mm f2.8 pancake lens looks very sexy indeed :

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian

Ahem.
SQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
*coughs*
Just HAD to get that out of my system.
Oly did indeed smell the coffee.
And of course this lovely new lens will work on a e410, right?
*Swoons*
^_^

scott kirkpatrick

Thye new pancake lens is something I've been looking for to put on my E-3. I use it with a 50/2.0 macro mostly, because it has a compact but effective feel for situations like sports. Going shorter to the 11-22 in those situations means that i am working at f/3.5 (at the 22mm end) and takes a big deep pocket to carry the lens around in reserve. The fancy PanaLeica 25/1.4 is even bigger than my 11-22, but this one will fit in a small pocket when not in use, and should handle well. The MTF doesn't look nearly as ambitious as the comparable data for the 11-22, however, but I haven't studied it carefully yet and this may be too quick a judgement. Enuf -- can't wait for May to see if it is real. (No more Pentax-envy!)

scott

Maggie O

Lucky for Leica that this wasn't around last Spring, or I might have bought it and never caught the red dot bug. So, lucky for me!

This comes as close as anything to my idea of a digital F3.

Brian Mosley

I got a chance to hold an OM4 yesterday - and I was surprised how heavy and wide it was, compared to my E-400... and the shutter was much noisier too! The 50mm f1.4 OM lens was a beauty though...

I think this E-420 is getting closer to the spirit of the OM - I'm really excited about our upcoming Photo Safari here in the UK.

Kind Regards

Brian

E

espressogeek

For me personally this sort of camera in 4/3 is the use of the format I am interested in. However one day perhaps Canon or someone can make a FF sensor body that is very compact. The one thing about this camera, keep in mind I have not held one, is the viewfinders on the porro mirror oly's are terribly small and dim. If they did this with a metal body and a top range view finder I would be in mad love. I still might consider it for a walk around camera. Has anyone seen any shots taken with the 25/2.8 yet?

A

asabet

If they did this with a metal body and a top range view finder I would be in mad love. I still might consider it for a walk around camera. Has anyone seen any shots taken with the 25/2.8 yet?
If Oly ever makes a wide prime for Four Thirds, I hope they put a proper distance window on it so we can zone focus and use an external OVF. Is a distance window even possible with this focus-by-wire business?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The one thing about this camera, keep in mind I have not held one, is the viewfinders on the porro mirror oly's are terribly small and dim.
The E-420 doesn't have a porro-mirror, but a penta-mirror like most other compact DSLRs. I suppose the viewfinder is the same as on the E-410, which isn't very big, but no worse than my Fuji S3.

The Olympus models that had a porro-mirror where the D-300 and D-330.

E

espressogeek

Thanks for the info. I had the e-300 and the VF sucked. Is the penta mirror any better?

Brian Mosley

That slightly larger, better lcd will be nice for LV display though... and if we can get a firmware fix to allow multiple shots without mirror flap then it will be lovely and quiet for an DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian