The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-420

Brian Mosley

Thank you for the samples, Brian. Guess I have to start saving. The PanaLeica isn't exactly cheap. How was the build quality compared to the Zuikos?
Excellent build quality - it's a shame the aperture ring won't be recognised by the Olympus though - I like the idea of manual dials on the lens.

The only thing that would make me think hard about a lens this expensive, is the speed (f3.5 - f5.6) but in good light it's a fantastic performer, and the next generation 4/3rds sensor cameras should give much better noise performance - which will make the lens even more useful.

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The aperture is the price to pay for the enormous range, I guess. I've tried the Nikkor 18-200, which have the same speed, and although the optical quality is fair enough, the build quality isn't good, and the zoom-creep of that lens is something I couldn't live with. The Nikkor isn't cheap either, although cheaper than the PanaLeica, but I prefer 4/3 for walk-around anyway.

Brian Mosley

Well, I think you'd love the E-420 + 14-150mm lens then... the image quality would be at least as good as the E-3, and in a superbly compact package.

I must stop now, I'm talking myself into the 14-150! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I just ordered the Leica 14-150 (from Japan) for my E-420. My travel kit will be the E-420, Leica 14-150, Olympus 50/2 Macro (excellent lens!), and the 25 pancake when it's available.

So far, I'm very happy with the E-420 as a travel body. Just took it with me for 3 days in Seattle, and it was perfect. Light and compact, yet much better IQ than I would get from a P&S.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Mike, that's great.

I saw matsuiysastore has this zoom for $1,309 USD—where did you order yours from, if I may ask? I am waiting on *both* the DP-1 and the E-420 + pancake (smaller than the OM-4, but nowhere near as good in the finder department, of course, more's the pity).

Cheers, Kit

Brian Mosley

Hi Mike, congratulations - that sounds like a perfect travel set!

Please post some shots when you have them :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Kit - there are two Ebay sellers based in Japan. One is Matsuiysastore, and the other is i-qiu. Both are about the same price, but when you factor in shipping, the 2nd seller is about $10 less.

Both sellers have excellent feedback, and both use the same shipping service. They both have done tons of transactions on ebay. I think either one is a fairly safe bet.

Brian - I'll post my thoughts and impressions once I've received the lens. I have a lot of business travel lined up in Q2, so I'll be putting this tandem to good use.

Mike

N

nei1

Has anyone tried the leica 25mm d f1.4 on the e420?Would be nice to know how it feels on the camera and how it compares to the pancake.Brian,hows the dp1 campaign going?

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi Neil, the 25mm f2.8 is a kit lens quality (which, for Olympus standards is excellent) ultra slim lens - I haven't seen the Leica but I have the impression it's much larger.

As for the DP1, what campaign?

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

Re:dp1 campaign

Before I was thrown out for daring to challenge the wisdom of certain braindead individuals on the dpreview sigma site I enjoyed youre more subtle approach in trying to open their eyes to a wider world.Youd make a great politician Brian,all the best,Neil.
p.s as to the leica lens;-thats 3 extra stops.If the lens balances well with the camera and the image quality is at least as good as the olympus it might just be woth the extra burden.Sorry,2 extra stops

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Brian, nei1 was referring to a campaign you mentioned you were going to initiate re. improvements to the DP-1. I offered to join this too, once you got it going—recall?

Has anyone actually seen the pancake (other than images?). I was not aware it had been released. If it has, how sharp is this little gem?

Brian Mosley

Hi Nei1, Kit... the Sigmafia(TM) installed on the dpreview forum didn't react well to open criticism of anything with the Sigma brand attached ;) So my campaign had to go underground - in a direct dialogue with one of the Sigma group leaders by e-mail.

He assures me (now that the independent reviews are out, panning the DP1's UI) that Sigma are working on upgrades to the UI in firmware, as we speak.

Kind Regards

Brian