Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympus E-420

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-420

Olympus announced the E-420 today, and a new 25/2.8 pancake lens
    contrast detect AF in LV
    U.S. Pricing / Product Configurations

* E-420 body Estimated Street Price: $499.99
    * E-420 with ED 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens Estimated Street Price: $599.99
    * E-420 with ED 25mm f2.8 Zuiko Digital Lens Estimated Street Price: $699.99

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/preview/e-420_01.php

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...8_e420_pr.html
    Last edited by Riley; 4th March 2008 at 23:24.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus E-420

Hi There
    interesting news (although I guess it won't be a surprise to Brian)
    here's another link:
    http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/03/t...s_examined.php

It's a pity it doesn't have image stabilisation, but otherwise it looks great. Just for those interested:

Olympus 420: 125 X 91 X 53
    Sigma DP1: 113 X 59 X 50
    Ricoh GRD 1: 107 x 25 x 58

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, I've been watching BS Bill's entertaining leaks and holding my breath! lol

I hope that you will be able to join us at the end of this month, I'd really appreciate your own take on the E-420 in use (p.s. will you bring your GX100? - I'm not writing it off as a serious and flexible pocket cam)

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jono, I've been watching BS Bill's entertaining leaks and holding my breath! lol
    I missed those, which is a pity, Bill leaks so enticingly!

I hope that you will be able to join us at the end of this month, I'd really appreciate your own take on the E-420 in use (p.s. will you bring your GX100? - I'm not writing it off as a serious and flexible pocket cam)

Kind Regards

Brian
    Where is the trip? I guess it'll be weekend, which is always tricky for me, but I'll see what I can do.

I must say, as far as the GX100 is concerned, I'd have thought that the E420 was more of a problem for those contemplating a Sigma DP-1

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I must say, as far as the GX100 is concerned, I'd have thought that the E420 was more of a problem for those contemplating a Sigma DP-1
    raises hand!

sigh. happy GRD/GRDII owner that sometimes wants something more... i've been avidly following all the DP1 threads and now this... double sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, actually this makes the decision easier... the Ricoh GX100 for ultimate pocketable small sensor cam. Olympus E-420 for not much bigger, serious DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know the Oly lens line up. Do any of the good long zooms have stabailization in the lens?

I know there is a Panny one for the L10 that also works for the contrast detection AF. So maybe this would work on thr E420. Just looking at coverage longer than the M8 can get.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I don't know the Oly lens line up. Do any of the good long zooms have stabailization in the lens?

I know there is a Panny one for the L10 that also works for the contrast detection AF. So maybe this would work on thr E420. Just looking at coverage longer than the M8 can get.
    hi Terry
    None of the Olympus lenses have IS, because most of the bodies do. Of course you can get panaleica lenses which do, but its not an attractive proposition for those of us who already have 4/3 lenses from Olympia which cover the range and are weatherproofed

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono's right of course... and I'm a big lover of IS, but a key feature of this cam is that it's the smallest DSLR in the world - and now with the E-3 (enhanced?) sensor we can expect better S/N and DR... which makes the prospect of shooting at higher ISO's more realistic.

The other thing is, with 4/3rds you can use fast legacy lenses - like the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 (EFL of 80mm) - although the 25mm f2.8 pancake lens looks very sexy indeed :

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono's right of course... and I'm a big lover of IS, but a key feature of this cam is that it's the smallest DSLR in the world - and now with the E-3 (enhanced?) sensor we can expect better S/N and DR... which makes the prospect of shooting at higher ISO's more realistic.

The other thing is, with 4/3rds you can use fast legacy lenses - like the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 (EFL of 80mm) - although the 25mm f2.8 pancake lens looks very sexy indeed :

Kind Regards

Brian

Kind Regards

Brian

Ahem.
    SQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE!!!!!!
    *coughs*
    Just HAD to get that out of my system.
    Oly did indeed smell the coffee.
    And of course this lovely new lens will work on a e410, right?
    *Swoons*
    ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Thye new pancake lens is something I've been looking for to put on my E-3. I use it with a 50/2.0 macro mostly, because it has a compact but effective feel for situations like sports. Going shorter to the 11-22 in those situations means that i am working at f/3.5 (at the 22mm end) and takes a big deep pocket to carry the lens around in reserve. The fancy PanaLeica 25/1.4 is even bigger than my 11-22, but this one will fit in a small pocket when not in use, and should handle well. The MTF doesn't look nearly as ambitious as the comparable data for the 11-22, however, but I haven't studied it carefully yet and this may be too quick a judgement. Enuf -- can't wait for May to see if it is real. (No more Pentax-envy!)

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky for Leica that this wasn't around last Spring, or I might have bought it and never caught the red dot bug. So, lucky for me!

This comes as close as anything to my idea of a digital F3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a chance to hold an OM4 yesterday - and I was surprised how heavy and wide it was, compared to my E-400... and the shutter was much noisier too! The 50mm f1.4 OM lens was a beauty though...

I think this E-420 is getting closer to the spirit of the OM - I'm really excited about our upcoming Photo Safari here in the UK.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey Brian
    Please include Me on your list for Photo Safaris / [email protected]
    Thank You..... Helen

espressogeek

For me personally this sort of camera in 4/3 is the use of the format I am interested in. However one day perhaps Canon or someone can make a FF sensor body that is very compact. The one thing about this camera, keep in mind I have not held one, is the viewfinders on the porro mirror oly's are terribly small and dim. If they did this with a metal body and a top range view finder I would be in mad love. I still might consider it for a walk around camera. Has anyone seen any shots taken with the 25/2.8 yet?

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by espressogeek View Post
    If they did this with a metal body and a top range view finder I would be in mad love. I still might consider it for a walk around camera. Has anyone seen any shots taken with the 25/2.8 yet?
    If Oly ever makes a wide prime for Four Thirds, I hope they put a proper distance window on it so we can zone focus and use an external OVF. Is a distance window even possible with this focus-by-wire business?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one thing about this camera, keep in mind I have not held one, is the viewfinders on the porro mirror oly's are terribly small and dim.
    The E-420 doesn't have a porro-mirror, but a penta-mirror like most other compact DSLRs. I suppose the viewfinder is the same as on the E-410, which isn't very big, but no worse than my Fuji S3.

The Olympus models that had a porro-mirror where the D-300 and D-330.

espressogeek

Thanks for the info. I had the e-300 and the VF sucked. Is the penta mirror any better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the info. I had the e-300 and the VF sucked. Is the penta mirror any better?
    Slightly, but we all dream about an E-420 with an E-3 viewfinder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That slightly larger, better lcd will be nice for LV display though... and if we can get a firmware fix to allow multiple shots without mirror flap then it will be lovely and quiet for an DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian

GeneW

I'm wondering what it would be like to use this camera with an external 50mm finder, such as the CV 50 1:1. Since focus is automatic, it might work for shooting quickly, and being able to keep both eyes open while shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
    I'm wondering what it would be like to use this camera with an external 50mm finder, such as the CV 50 1:1. Since focus is automatic, it might work for shooting quickly, and being able to keep both eyes open while shooting.
    The OVF is quite good enough for fast framing... but if you already have the external finder it would be interesting to see how it works for you.

Kind Regards

Brian

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just ordered my E-420.

They are in stock at B&H now.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hatam View Post
    Just ordered my E-420.

They are in stock at B&H now.

Mike
    So have I - but it'll be a few weeks in the UK I think.
    I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It's sooooo small. I had a look at one at the Olympus day at digital depot.
    I queried the 50mm pancake, as in why 50mm. Olympus said, as the first pancake lens they thought 25mm (50mm equivalent) was the way to go. I of course disagreed and said I'd want an 11mm and 50mmish. I guess your all hoping the word "first" was the operative word.
    It was a pretty busy day for d.d. and my friend came away with a new 50-200 SWD. If you want his old one cheap, see my thread on buy and sell.
    I'm currently entrenched in Nikon (D300) land but if I ever get to do some traveling or go on holiday the 420 would be a great camera. Mind you by the time I get to go away there may well be the other pancakes which would make it a no brainer. Olympus probably don't listen to me that much anymore as they probably heard about my cat smuggling at Jono's and figure I've betrayed them. I did pose as a photographer for d.d. because no one seemed to want to photograph the model. I do that sort of thing so as this is my first real post see attached photo, but it's off a D300
    David
    Last edited by DavidL; 1st July 2011 at 12:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Woops. Image is a bit big.
    Also this isn't the model at the Olympus day. This is a young lady who models for us occasionally. She isn't professional but is pretty good and works alongside pro. models well.
    While I have your attention, she may consider modeling so what do you guys think.
    Bear in mind this was just a grab shot between set ups, so she can do better.
    Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    While I have your attention, she may consider modeling so what do you guys think.
    Bear in mind this was just a grab shot between set ups, so she can do better.
    Thanks
    David
    If she can cook, I'll marry her

Nice portrait, beautiful model

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jorgen Udvang;17581]If she can cook, I'll marry her

I'll ask her about her cooking next time I see her, it's something that hasn't come up in conversation to date.
    She's currently in SEAsia for a couple of months getting tanned and toned.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=DavidL;17671]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    She's currently in SEAsia for a couple of months getting tanned and toned.

David
    No problem, I'm in SEAsia permanently, day and night

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the 420 + pancake and the DP-1 on order. I had a 410, and it is VERY quiet, mirror-shutter wise. I will sell the one I like the least. I am hoping for a wide prime too.

To Terry: the 420 is so light and small that any long lenses on it are going to be pretty unbalanced, I feel. If light is what you need, the 510 and its successor are not that much bigger and heavier, and IS is built in, and the grip is much more substantial. The PanaLeica lenses with IS are all relatively heavy, as I recall, so I feel they are not good matches for the 420 either.

I think that the DP-1 or the 410 will be nice snapshot cameras—and small enough to go anywhere. I have never felt like taking the D3 and the 24–70 out with me on a walk around the neighbourhood!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kit, large lenses can work very well on the E-4x0 - in terms of handling but I agree the E-5x0 or E-3 is much more sensible for the reach (or ideally, check out the PanaLeica 14-150mm with OIS - which I found to be very well balanced on the E-420 last Saturday)

You're right about the DP1 - I'm just starting a campaign to have the thing 'finished' though... the UI still feels like beta s/w to me.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

So, Terry, another perspective.

Brian, what is that 14-150 like? That is an incredible zoom range—but (for me) kind of defeats the overall purpose.

I will join the "finish the DP-1" campaign as soon as you get it going and direct me to it! I guess I will have to wait until it is delivered, though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    So, Terry, another perspective.

Brian, what is that 14-150 like? That is an incredible zoom range—but (for me) kind of defeats the overall purpose.

I will join the "finish the DP-1" campaign as soon as you get it going and direct me to it! I guess I will have to wait until it is delivered, though.

Hi Kit,
    I was hoping they would have also upgraded the 510 and done a 520 with the E3 sensor. I was a bit paranoid about DR and the tendency for both the 410 and 510 to blow highlights. But since it wasn't announced I sprang for a D300 which arrived last night....I know I didn't stay small but the D300 was mighty sweet. I have the 70-300 coming from another forum member and am figuring out the wide normal end. This will give me a simple two lens kit. While not small it felt good. After going that route and attempting to stay a bit lighter and out of the nikon pro range (excluding the 12-24, 24-70, 70-200) I think Oly has the edge on good mid zoom lenses.

My equivalent of the pancake kit is to go out shooting with the M8 one lens either 28 cron or 50 lux and no bag which is my norm when out in NYC shooting. My dslr was the result of the 90 being my longest M lens and while I love my CV12mm and going wide long can be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian,
    It would be very interesting to get some info on your experiences with the 14-150. Looks like the perfect walk-around for my E-1.

Post Thanks / Like

The D300 is a very nice camera, to be sure (I have one, too). Don't ignore the cheap plastic zooms, either. I have a Nikkor 18–70/3.5-4.5 that makes very nice images on the D300, and the CA is automatically corrected apparently, too. It is my 'walk-around' lens, and is a bargain. That 70–300 VR (is that the one you are getting?) definitely looks the goods for your purpose. cheers, kl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    The D300 is a very nice camera, to be sure (I have one, too). Don't ignore the cheap plastic zooms, either. I have a Nikkor 18–70/3.5-4.5 that makes very nice images on the D300, and the CA is automatically corrected apparently, too. It is my 'walk-around' lens, and is a bargain. That 70–300 VR (is that the one you are getting?) definitely looks the goods for your purpose. cheers, kl
    Yes, I have a 70-300 on its way from another forum member. On the wide side it is either going to be the new 16-85 or I will go for the gusto and get the 24-70. The 16-85 has a better range starting at the equivalent of 24mm vs 36mm. While the 18-70 is faster than the 16-24 which is f3.5-5.6 the new lens has VR II. I just want someone I know (who also knows the Nikon lenses) to test the 16-85 first

I'm going to take a look at the 18-70 thanks for the heads up.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I just want someone I know (who also knows the Nikon lenses) to test the 16-85 first
    Hi Terry - but as I said in the other thread, the problem with the cheaper nikon lenses is not the design, but the variability, so unless you got someone to test a lens and then let you have it . . . .

Why not just buy one and spend a few hours with a tripod and a brick wall to check that it does what you want?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry - but as I said in the other thread, the problem with the cheaper nikon lenses is not the design, but the variability, so unless you got someone to test a lens and then let you have it . . . .

Why not just buy one and spend a few hours with a tripod and a brick wall to check that it does what you want?
    I am going to test. It I'm sure I will look funny in front of a brick wall in NYC
    I only will have one for a while I was giving the end state of a 2 lense kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian,
    It would be very interesting to get some info on your experiences with the 14-150. Looks like the perfect walk-around for my E-1.
    Hi Jorgen,

I think you're right - the 14-150 would make the perfect walk around lens for the E-1, and even better with the E-420.

Here are a couple of shots by Tom Heslop, one of our Safari Group members who was trying out the 14-150 on the E-420... what a killer combination!

Check out the smooth backgrounds, and this lens is sharp!

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the samples, Brian. Guess I have to start saving. The PanaLeica isn't exactly cheap. How was the build quality compared to the Zuikos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the samples, Brian. Guess I have to start saving. The PanaLeica isn't exactly cheap. How was the build quality compared to the Zuikos?
    Excellent build quality - it's a shame the aperture ring won't be recognised by the Olympus though - I like the idea of manual dials on the lens.

The only thing that would make me think hard about a lens this expensive, is the speed (f3.5 - f5.6) but in good light it's a fantastic performer, and the next generation 4/3rds sensor cameras should give much better noise performance - which will make the lens even more useful.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The aperture is the price to pay for the enormous range, I guess. I've tried the Nikkor 18-200, which have the same speed, and although the optical quality is fair enough, the build quality isn't good, and the zoom-creep of that lens is something I couldn't live with. The Nikkor isn't cheap either, although cheaper than the PanaLeica, but I prefer 4/3 for walk-around anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I think you'd love the E-420 + 14-150mm lens then... the image quality would be at least as good as the E-3, and in a superbly compact package.

I must stop now, I'm talking myself into the 14-150! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered the Leica 14-150 (from Japan) for my E-420. My travel kit will be the E-420, Leica 14-150, Olympus 50/2 Macro (excellent lens!), and the 25 pancake when it's available.

So far, I'm very happy with the E-420 as a travel body. Just took it with me for 3 days in Seattle, and it was perfect. Light and compact, yet much better IQ than I would get from a P&S.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, that's great.

I saw matsuiysastore has this zoom for $1,309 USD—where did you order yours from, if I may ask? I am waiting on *both* the DP-1 and the E-420 + pancake (smaller than the OM-4, but nowhere near as good in the finder department, of course, more's the pity).

Cheers, Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mike, congratulations - that sounds like a perfect travel set!

Please post some shots when you have them

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit - there are two Ebay sellers based in Japan. One is Matsuiysastore, and the other is i-qiu. Both are about the same price, but when you factor in shipping, the 2nd seller is about $10 less.

Both sellers have excellent feedback, and both use the same shipping service. They both have done tons of transactions on ebay. I think either one is a fairly safe bet.

Brian - I'll post my thoughts and impressions once I've received the lens. I have a lot of business travel lined up in Q2, so I'll be putting this tandem to good use.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

nei1

Has anyone tried the leica 25mm d f1.4 on the e420?Would be nice to know how it feels on the camera and how it compares to the pancake.Brian,hows the dp1 campaign going?
    Last edited by nei1; 20th April 2008 at 00:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Neil, the 25mm f2.8 is a kit lens quality (which, for Olympus standards is excellent) ultra slim lens - I haven't seen the Leica but I have the impression it's much larger.

As for the DP1, what campaign?

Kind Regards

Brian

nei1

Re:dp1 campaign

Before I was thrown out for daring to challenge the wisdom of certain braindead individuals on the dpreview sigma site I enjoyed youre more subtle approach in trying to open their eyes to a wider world.Youd make a great politician Brian,all the best,Neil.
    p.s as to the leica lens;-thats 3 extra stops.If the lens balances well with the camera and the image quality is at least as good as the olympus it might just be woth the extra burden.Sorry,2 extra stops
    Last edited by nei1; 20th April 2008 at 14:35. Reason: mistake