Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP1 vs Oly E420 vs GRD II

Sean_Reid

Re: Sigma DP1 vs Oly E420 vs GRD II

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    The E420 does look interesting — of course if I got it I'd have to destroy it's files to get the effect I want <g>. Rather than the 25mm lens that gives an EFL of 50mm I would have preferred an EFL of 40-42mm, as I have really started to like the 40mm EFL of the Ricoh tele-converter of the GRD/GRD2. And I'd want 21 and 28mm EFL lenses, but I gather there are no small 4/3 lenses if these EFLs, are there?

I must say that I'm much more attracted by the idea of the E4120 than by the DP1, and wonder whether this is partly because I feel Olympus has always made better lenses that in the pass.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    That 40 mm EFOV has always been great for me as well. I'd love to see a 20 mm 4/3 pancake lens.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    Holy cow, I read that part about the new E410 this morning, before work, but didn't see the part about the new 25 mm lens. That is so cool. After what, about eight years of affordable DSLR's, someone finally comes out with a lens that really makes sense, for street photography. I know Pentax had a couple pancakes, but they were still sort of odd ball focal lengths. This has got to be the package I've been waiting for. Now, if they can just add a 14 2.8 to go along with it. Good going Olympus! Anyone hear of a release date for the lens?
    The focal lengths may seem strange but Pentax has definitely been the leader in pancake lenses for DSLRs. Of course, there are many pancakes for DRFs.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    While there have been a number of posts on a number of sites to the effect that the E-420/ 25 pancake combo eliminates the need for the DP1, I don't see it that way.
    We may want to get a bit of hands-on experience with both cameras before we make any calls.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Sadly, part of the DSLR thing is just legitimacy. When I'm shooting for other people (ie work), if I pull out the Leica I'm perceived as being an "amateur" and treated as such.
    Wow, I've never had that experience at all when doing pro work with Leicas.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    What is the aspect ratio of the Pentax? The 4x3 frame of the Olympus is a deal-breaker for me.
    3:2, see my review

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

For people who like compact, though not pocketable, cameras, there's also the option of shooting an Epson R-D1 with Pancake lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Wow, I've never had that experience at all when doing pro work with Leicas.

Cheers,

Sean
    Well, a D Lux-3 isn't quite a "real" Leica, if ya know what I mean...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

3:2, see my review

Cheers,

Sean
    Oh, I read your review, but I was being lazy and forgetful, Sean!

Post Thanks / Like

That 40 mm EFOV has always been great for me as well. I'd love to see a 20 mm 4/3 pancake lens.

Cheers,

Sean
    Always is two weeks for me, but the GRD-40mm clicked instantly.

The form factor of this unit is in the E420 ballpark, whereas (living in a jacket-friendly climate zone) I'm comparing the size of the DP1 to the unfitted GRD rather than to the E420; my greatest anticipation yet with '08-releases is for the DP1-40mm.

Thomas
    Last edited by thomasl.se; 7th March 2008 at 14:44. Reason: typo

Hypnohare

As much as the love the GR2, I would like to have the option of sometimes using a larger sensor in order to reduce the depth of field (albeit in a compact camera).

I am certain that pretty soon we will get the reviews on the DP1 and the E420 with the new pancake lens. That said, would anyone care to hazard a guess as to which camera would be better in terms of "bokeh"?

From what I understand the new Olympus lens is faster than the Sigma lens, but the Olympus sensor is slightly smaller than the Sigma (or do I have this all wrong?).

Would the Olympus or Sigma be better for shallow depth of field shots or would they be similar in performance?

Post Thanks / Like

For people who like compact, though not pocketable, cameras, there's also the option of shooting an Epson R-D1 with Pancake lenses.

Cheers,

Sean
    I saw an RD-1 displayed seductively in a shop window in Venice a few weeks ago, still brand new. No idea of price, but I can imagine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

after reading through everybody's comments, i'm actually leaning towards the DP1 again... i still don't have a "real" camera (feel very inadequate when reading about how many everybody else has) and have been loathe to choose because of the costs of various lenses (an addiction in itself). as tempting as the new Oly is, i'd be going down that path. add the noisy shutter and it's definitely a no go.

does anybody know how quiet/loud the DP1 is in operation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey CAM

Just noticed /Pham Minh Son has just put up a FS: Sigma DP1 for $850.00
    She probably can answer all your Questions...
    Her camera collection is wild!!
    Thanks for your Private Note and hope your feeling better
    All the Best..... helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm kinda leaning toward a lust for the RD1 OR the DP1
    (I find Olympus digital menus to be over the top..... the dlux 3 & Grd's menus are so Zen / Simple & to the point .no extra baggage so to speak) Cheers! Helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    after reading through everybody's comments, i'm actually leaning towards the DP1 again... i still don't have a "real" camera (feel very inadequate when reading about how many everybody else has) and have been loathe to choose because of the costs of various lenses (an addiction in itself). as tempting as the new Oly is, i'd be going down that path. add the noisy shutter and it's definitely a no go.

Cam,
    Your Ricoh is very much a real camera.
    And trust me, having all these cameras is just more to dust while cleaning; they deserve to be used and I feel bad for not doing so

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Cam,
    Your Ricoh is very much a real camera.
    And trust me, having all these cameras is just more to dust while cleaning; they deserve to be used and I feel bad for not doing so
    though judging from one of your first 40mm shots, you dust about as much as i do... (was that faster than 4.5???)

seriously, yes, both my GRD's are real -- my terminology was incorrect. i adore them and use them to the fullest and they suit my needs perfectly. guess i just suffer from size envy now and again....

Post Thanks / Like

seriously, yes, both my GRD's are real -- my terminology was incorrect. i adore them and use them to the fullest and they suit my needs perfectly. guess i just suffer from size envy now and again....
    You oghta get the GT-1; 40mm of pure pleasure!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just remember it is the brain behind the camera not what your holding in your hand that truly counts. Much rather have a good eye than a 60k in junk in front of it because if the eye can not get the image than anything you put in front of it will not matter. Never have gear envy my dear , it is a waste of energy and talent. From what i have seen you have the talent and the eye but just get something that is comfortable and easy to control for you. The rest will will from your talent. Lesson 1 about photography and my podium speech. LOL

When I teach at the workshops i could care less what gear folks have but what I do care about is getting in there head and teach them how to shoot. No gear in the world will do that for you. The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL - everybody's reassured you . . but nobody's answered your question!
    It's silent (the DP1 that is), or as near as anything silent.

As for the reassurance - I absolutely second (third, fourth) what the others have said.
    I'm only too clear that I have two passtimes:
    1. spending unfeasibly large amounts of money on equipment and then bellyaching about sharpness/noise/colour/contrast when looking at 100%
    2. taking photographs

The second has very little to do with the first (I just hope that I'm better at it!).

Just this guy you know

Ruhayat

Jono,

I saw the 420 with pancake lens and thought it looked very nice. Having played with a 410, it's a very compact package indeed. But then it's still an SLR, isn't it, with the loud slapping sound which you can't turn off. That's the reason why I choose to shoot with small sensor cameras: you'll get more shots than an SLR user.

I often go out shooting with a friend of mine who has a gigantic (comparatively) Fuji S5 Pro SLR camera. At events and shows I can shoot away while he can't because the mirror slap sound annoys people. And at restaurants or inside malls I can still shoot away while he can't because his camera is too big. Of course, when the conditions are right, that humongous SLR can do things that neither of my small cameras (GRD, D-Lux 3 and Digilux 2) are able to.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

though judging from one of your first 40mm shots, you dust about as much as i do... (was that faster than 4.5???)

ROFL, I dust a bit more nowadays
    4.5?
    If your GRD's suit your needs perfectly then why worry?
    Your work is stunning as it stands!
    Guy is very very right; it is the photographer that matters most, without your mind and heart and eye, the camera can do Nothing.
    Yes I too get tempted to buy new toys.
    Part of me still longs for the GX-100.
    Even tho with both add on lenses my GRD more than meets my carry camera needs.
    As to the 420 or DP-1.
    The former I consider maybe to replace my K100D if Pentax refuse to honor the warranty.
    The latter is a very cool concept and oh so tempting.
    But I need neither to shoot as I do now.
    My GRD meets 70% of my needs and the S6000fd the rest.
    Speaking of which I just got back from a session with the Fuji.
    Last edited by Lili; 8th March 2008 at 11:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, thanks for that - I'm getting camera discussion fatigue! Time to get off-line and on-track with my photography! lol

Hope to be back soon, to share some new pictures

Kind Regards

Brian

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent , I love you guy's being here no doubt but get your butts off the keyboard and go shoot . Than report. That was a order BTW.

Seriously though need to find time to work your craft. If your not shooting your not learning.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Excellent , I love you guy's being here no doubt but get your butts off the keyboard and go shoot . Than report. That was a order BTW.

Seriously though need to find time to work your craft. If your not shooting your not learning.
    Actually that is why I am worn out right now, shooting all over Dallas, and NOT from my car!

asabet

For anyone who's interested, I put up a demo of the DP1 RAW highlight headroom here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just remember it is the brain behind the camera not what your holding in your hand that truly counts. Much rather have a good eye than a 60k in junk in front of it because if the eye can not get the image than anything you put in front of it will not matter. Never have gear envy my dear , it is a waste of energy and talent. From what i have seen you have the talent and the eye but just get something that is comfortable and easy to control for you. The rest will will from your talent. Lesson 1 about photography and my podium speech. LOL

When I teach at the workshops i could care less what gear folks have but what I do care about is getting in there head and teach them how to shoot. No gear in the world will do that for you. The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.
    thank you, Guy, you do make an excellent cheerleader! i can picture you with pom-poms

i totally understand it's the eye and not the gear, but can you blame me for lusting in the heart after an M8??? the GRDs are perfect for me and my style i love them to death. i seriously could not have found a more perfect match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    LOL - everybody's reassured you . . but nobody's answered your question!
    It's silent (the DP1 that is), or as near as anything silent.

As for the reassurance - I absolutely second (third, fourth) what the others have said.
    I'm only too clear that I have two passtimes:
    1. spending unfeasibly large amounts of money on equipment and then bellyaching about sharpness/noise/colour/contrast when looking at 100%
    2. taking photographs

The second has very little to do with the first (I just hope that I'm better at it!).
    thank you for answering my question! i do a majority of my shooting where silence is very important -- even when it's not stealth (which it often is). i will sometimes take multiples of somebody until they get so bored that they finally get bored, let their guard down, and stop posing. a noisy camera would not allow this. with the GRD i can often continue shooting and they don't even realise it. this has become very important to me! (i also can't help but love the 28mm for the similar reasons. i shoot with the camera in hand or around the neck, often without looking. a wider lens makes gives my guesstimate more chance of getting what i want.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROFL, I dust a bit more nowadays
    4.5?
    the time i go from being a kitten...

seriously, all, thank you for the encouragement. i blame this awful flu for making me obviously so needy. i promise to get back into the groove and play around this week before surgery on friday. i think i've just been psychologically protecting myself from withdrawal. the doc hasn't said how long i'll be banned from shooting yet. it may just be my own tolerance for pain. knowing me, i'll pick my camera up the second the novocaine wears off....

Mitch Alland

...The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.
    While looking at photography monographs is useful and can give you ideas, ultimately, to improve your composition I think the best thing to do is to look at paintings because painters have to create the whole composition; their composition is completely intentinonal. The trouble is that it's difficult to look at paintings: you can look at a painting for a few minutes and think about the composition, but the only real way to understand the composition is by making a sketch of the painting that emphasizes the compositional elements. That's a huge effort that, understandably, most people do not want to undertake. I do feel, however, that the time I spent drawing and painting did more than anything else to teach me how to see, which is what you need for good photography.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

the time i go from being a kitten...

seriously, all, thank you for the encouragement. i blame this awful flu for making me obviously so needy. i promise to get back into the groove and play around this week before surgery on friday. i think i've just been psychologically protecting myself from withdrawal. the doc hasn't said how long i'll be banned from shooting yet. it may just be my own tolerance for pain. knowing me, i'll pick my camera up the second the novocaine wears off....
    Cam, ROFL about the '4.5' now
    Seriously, I understand quite well. I think this last bout of Flu was the worst I've ever had. I imagine that combined with stress from surgery would be horrid! Good luck and I hope you feel well soon and start shooting equally quickly

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a bit OT but on the subject of equipment.
    When first I went digital I compared everything to my Hexar AF and found it all wanting.
    In part because the Hexar is just so very good but mostly because I was trying to make digital behave like the film.
    In short I was stuck looking back.
    Then my friend gave me the advice to play to digitals strengths.
    In other words open my Eyes to another way of Seeing.
    Just as is said in Quantum Physics that the presence of an Observer changes reactions, so it is for me in this medium.
    The equipment changes how I See.
    It does not See for me, but, like the putative Observer it changes what
    I See.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In short I was stuck looking back.
    Then my friend gave me the advice to play to digitals strengths.
    In other words open my Eyes to another way of Seeing.
    This, I think, is a common denominator for those who manage to use a new tool as a means of personal expression. Just like when the Leica arrived in the 1920´es; those who realized this was a new language were among those who we now remember as the top artists of the medium.

Just as is said in Quantum Physics that the presence of an Observer changes reactions, so it is for me in this medium.
    ... it sounds like you´re Schroedinger´s kitten, then....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    This, I think, is a common denominator for those who manage to use a new tool as a means of personal expression. Just like when the Leica arrived in the 1920´es; those who realized this was a new language were among those who we now remember as the top artists of the medium.

... it sounds like you´re Schroedinger´s kitten, then....
    Meow!!!!!

^_^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Meow!!!!!

^_^
    TRES COOL....in Total Agreement

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Meow!!!!!

^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    This, I think, is a common denominator for those who manage to use a new tool as a means of personal expression. Just like when the Leica arrived in the 1920´es; those who realized this was a new language were among those who we now remember as the top artists of the medium:
    TRES COOL....in TOTAL AGREEMENT

Mitch Alland

That's the point: small sensor cameras are indeed a mew format in the way Sean wrote about this on his website. And the GRD/GRD2 cameras are an innovative product. Whether the DP1 is a successful innovate product remains to me seen, as we get reports from users and reviewers. But, hey, my mind is open on this one.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    the only real way to understand the composition is by making a sketch of the painting that emphasizes the compositional elements.
    That's a great idea.

If you can draw. Which I can't. I have zero aptitude for the visual arts. (which is probably painfully apparent to anyone whom I've foisted my cat-snapping crap upon.)

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to be able to draw to do this. Just get a reproduction of a painting, drawing, or a photograph and use tracing paper to block out the compositional elements. you can use the same technique to study the way artists handle the bottom edge of their works, the framing, etc. It is a great way to better understand why some photographs work and others don't.

Ben Lifson uses this approach in some of his essays.

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch's suggestion about sketching is extremely apt.
    A very good way to learn.
    As to the OT; I have gone back and forth on the DP-1.
    Seeing actual images shots by those on fickr and elsewhere not some anonymous review or posting is reassuring.
    I will await more in-depth reviews before deciding, but as it stands now I am tempted.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mitch's suggestion about sketching is extremely apt.
    A very good way to learn.
    As to the OT; I have gone back and forth on the DP-1.
    Seeing actual images shots by those on fickr and elsewhere not some anonymous review or posting is reassuring.
    I will await more in-depth reviews before deciding, but as it stands now I am tempted.
    Schroedinger´s kitten eh? terribly apt I'd have said.
    And, as the OP er, it's appropriate to comment.
    I must say, I'm much too lazy to sketch paintings, but I took up photography at a time when I was too busy to continue painting - so it's always been a 'substitute' and I'm pretty sure that whatever 'eye' I have was developed way back when.

As for the DP-1, like you, I dither backward and forward; perhaps the biggest thing against it was that when handling it I didn't fall in love with it

What IS so great about this forum, and this place in particular is the idea that the small sensor camera isn't simply a compromise, but a tool in it's own right . . . . not sure where that leaves the DP-1 though (with it's larger sensor).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

my g/f is a sculptor/visual artist and we were having a related discussion the other night. She said my photos are much more "painting" than "sculpture." Something about focus on texture and tending to flatten things out as opposed to being more about spatial. I had never really thought about it that way before, but she's also an art prof so she does think about those things...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello everyone,

first a picture from today... to show that I'm good to my word

Sony R1

I agree completely with Jono - the DP1 had a distinct 'unfinished' feel to me at the FoI show... but there are some fantastic images showing up. On the other hand, I'm quite fascinated by the images I'm seeing the GR-DII and GX100 produce and I'm sold on small sensor cams for ultra compact and quiet operation, ultra sharp and deep dof... I could just as easily go the GX100 or GR-DII route as the DP1.

And just to keep on-topic, a small sensor cam shot with the Panasonic LX1... from this afternoon.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hello everyone,

Kind Regards

Brian
    Are we to assume that this is a self portrait?
    The R1 seems more and more attractive as time goes by - do you use yours very much?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popum View Post
    You don't have to be able to draw to do this. Just get a reproduction of a painting, drawing, or a photograph and use tracing paper to block out the compositional elements. you can use the same technique to study the way artists handle the bottom edge of their works, the framing, etc. It is a great way to better understand why some photographs work and others don't.

Ben Lifson uses this approach in some of his essays.

Mike
    Time for a link. Go here.

11 lectures, more or less, with great examples and a lot to think about.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Jono there is a distinct similarity but no... it's a close up of this sculpture :

The guy in the top right!

I haven't used my R1 nearly enough... it's a classic camera - a bit like a lightweight E-3 with a D2x sensor and fixed 12-60mm lens - but perfectly silent.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops, meant to post this version of the sculpture :

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love version 2!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I love version 2!
    Me too. Great shot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree
    version 2 is wonderful - is the guy standing the same as the one in the wheelchair in version one (certainly looks like it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Whoops, meant to post this version of the sculpture :

Kind Regards

Brian
    Wow.....ABsolutely Superb
    other worldliness......Divine helen