The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 vs Oly E420 vs GRD II

Lili

Perhaps a bit OT but on the subject of equipment.
When first I went digital I compared everything to my Hexar AF and found it all wanting.
In part because the Hexar is just so very good but mostly because I was trying to make digital behave like the film.
In short I was stuck looking back.
Then my friend gave me the advice to play to digitals strengths.
In other words open my Eyes to another way of Seeing.
Just as is said in Quantum Physics that the presence of an Observer changes reactions, so it is for me in this medium.
The equipment changes how I See.
It does not See for me, but, like the putative Observer it changes what
I See.

In short I was stuck looking back.
Then my friend gave me the advice to play to digitals strengths.
In other words open my Eyes to another way of Seeing.
This, I think, is a common denominator for those who manage to use a new tool as a means of personal expression. Just like when the Leica arrived in the 1920´es; those who realized this was a new language were among those who we now remember as the top artists of the medium.

Just as is said in Quantum Physics that the presence of an Observer changes reactions, so it is for me in this medium.
... it sounds like you´re Schroedinger´s kitten, then....:ROTFL:

Lili

This, I think, is a common denominator for those who manage to use a new tool as a means of personal expression. Just like when the Leica arrived in the 1920´es; those who realized this was a new language were among those who we now remember as the top artists of the medium.

... it sounds like you´re Schroedinger´s kitten, then....:ROTFL:
Meow!!!!!

^_^

M

Mitch Alland

That's the point: small sensor cameras are indeed a mew format in the way Sean wrote about this on his website. And the GRD/GRD2 cameras are an innovative product. Whether the DP1 is a successful innovate product remains to me seen, as we get reports from users and reviewers. But, hey, my mind is open on this one.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Maggie O

the only real way to understand the composition is by making a sketch of the painting that emphasizes the compositional elements.
That's a great idea.

If you can draw. Which I can't. I have zero aptitude for the visual arts. (which is probably painfully apparent to anyone whom I've foisted my cat-snapping crap upon.)

popum

You don't have to be able to draw to do this. Just get a reproduction of a painting, drawing, or a photograph and use tracing paper to block out the compositional elements. you can use the same technique to study the way artists handle the bottom edge of their works, the framing, etc. It is a great way to better understand why some photographs work and others don't.

Ben Lifson uses this approach in some of his essays.

Mike

Lili

Mitch's suggestion about sketching is extremely apt.
A very good way to learn.
As to the OT; I have gone back and forth on the DP-1.
Seeing actual images shots by those on fickr and elsewhere not some anonymous review or posting is reassuring.
I will await more in-depth reviews before deciding, but as it stands now I am tempted.

jonoslack

Mitch's suggestion about sketching is extremely apt.
A very good way to learn.
As to the OT; I have gone back and forth on the DP-1.
Seeing actual images shots by those on fickr and elsewhere not some anonymous review or posting is reassuring.
I will await more in-depth reviews before deciding, but as it stands now I am tempted.
Schroedinger´s kitten eh? terribly apt I'd have said.
And, as the OP er, it's appropriate to comment.
I must say, I'm much too lazy to sketch paintings, but I took up photography at a time when I was too busy to continue painting - so it's always been a 'substitute' and I'm pretty sure that whatever 'eye' I have was developed way back when.

As for the DP-1, like you, I dither backward and forward; perhaps the biggest thing against it was that when handling it I didn't fall in love with it

What IS so great about this forum, and this place in particular is the idea that the small sensor camera isn't simply a compromise, but a tool in it's own right . . . . not sure where that leaves the DP-1 though (with it's larger sensor).

nostatic

my g/f is a sculptor/visual artist and we were having a related discussion the other night. She said my photos are much more "painting" than "sculpture." Something about focus on texture and tending to flatten things out as opposed to being more about spatial. I had never really thought about it that way before, but she's also an art prof so she does think about those things...

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

first a picture from today... to show that I'm good to my word ;)

Sony R1

I agree completely with Jono - the DP1 had a distinct 'unfinished' feel to me at the FoI show... but there are some fantastic images showing up. On the other hand, I'm quite fascinated by the images I'm seeing the GR-DII and GX100 produce and I'm sold on small sensor cams for ultra compact and quiet operation, ultra sharp and deep dof... I could just as easily go the GX100 or GR-DII route as the DP1.

And just to keep on-topic, a small sensor cam shot with the Panasonic LX1... from this afternoon.

Kind Regards

Brian

scott kirkpatrick

You don't have to be able to draw to do this. Just get a reproduction of a painting, drawing, or a photograph and use tracing paper to block out the compositional elements. you can use the same technique to study the way artists handle the bottom edge of their works, the framing, etc. It is a great way to better understand why some photographs work and others don't.

Ben Lifson uses this approach in some of his essays.

Mike
Time for a link. Go here.

11 lectures, more or less, with great examples and a lot to think about.

scott

Brian Mosley

Well, Jono there is a distinct similarity ;) but no... it's a close up of this sculpture :

The guy in the top right!

I haven't used my R1 nearly enough... it's a classic camera - a bit like a lightweight E-3 with a D2x sensor and fixed 12-60mm lens - but perfectly silent.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

I agree
version 2 is wonderful - is the guy standing the same as the one in the wheelchair in version one (certainly looks like it).