The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone still shooting with the LC1?

agoglanian

I always wanted the Pansonic DMC-LC1, I've started poking around the net looking for one recently, but I wonder is it even worth tracking down? By todays standards is it usable? How would the quality (resolution aside) compare to my DLux 4?

I'm just curious really...

W

wbrandsma

I know that forummember Cristian Sorega aka VladimirV has the LC1. And I think you can find a lot of usable information about this camera (actually the Leica version) at the site of Thorsten Overgaard. He is a Danish professional photographer and still uses this camera for assignments.

Another good site to visit: John Thawley´s D2 pages. Like Thorsten, he primarily swears by the Leica version, but the models are very similar.

I happen to have one myself (the Leica one; see my avatar...), and to this day it remains one of my favourites. It has far fewer pixels than the DL4 (which I also own), but the perceived total image quality is even higher (and that´s saying a lot; the DL4 is phenomenal).

Do get one! You´lll love it! Only, make sure the sensor has been replaced (a well known problem).

Terry

Mine died right at the time Leica was hopelessly behind on replacing sensors. After waiting several months we worked out a deal for an upgrade to the M8. LC1 was the camera that got me back into Photography after many years.
Late last year there were some refurbs floating around and a friend got one through a Leica rep that I believe had a 1 year warranty. So, if there is a Leica dealer near you, you could ask the dealer to ask their representative.

smokysun

for my money there have been only three digital cameras which will give you high-class and unique pictures: sigma dp1/2, sony 717, and the leica d2/panasonic lc1. some of it must have to do with low pixel density and great lenses. also, the sensors fair/sized, the sony and leica (what i have) being 2/3'rds. you do have to slow down to use them and 400 iso noisy. still, here's a few dance photos

http://www.pbase.com/wwp/photoshoot

taken with stage lighting. these cameras force you into something different.

www.popflash.com had several refurbished leicas a couple of weeks ago. (none now). you might call them and get on the list.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

les

Dig around and you'll be amazed at the strong following for the LC1 and it's sister the Digilux 2. Check out the Digital Forum and the D2 Community Group on the User Group of that German Camera Coy......
In short there are a lot of people using it, and you could say they're fanatical - it's far from dead.

V

VladimirV

The LC1 is a fantastic camera with great IQ and controls. I have bough mine just for the controls and greatly enjoy using it, after the Ricohs this is the best digital camera when it comes to controls.
The lens is fantastic and produces very nice portraits without the extreme bokeh you get from larger sensors. The AF is slow and not always accurate so it's not for fast action scenes but it can be worked around and I used mine successfully at the London Marathon (http://ricoh-gr-diary.blogspot.com/2009/04/london-marathon-2009.html).

I would say it is the best camera Panasonic produced and the best digital camera Leica ever produced (or rebranded). It is a shame Panasonic or Leica have not produced a successor and even the GF-1 does look more líke the fiddly to use LX3 than the LC1.

If Panasonic would release a LC2 with the same lens but based on a new 2/3" sensor or 4/3" sensor I would buy it in a heartbeat.

But here some pictures I took with it:

dhsimmonds

I quite agree.......a full frame LC3 would be even better with a 28-110 vario Cron lens would be even nicer for me!!

My LC1 has had the sensor replaced FOC by Panasonic and has seen my DSLR's come and go and although I also use the D-Lux-4, the LC1 is the main back up camera for my full frame 24Mpx DSLR.

It is truly a very great camera....probably now a classic. Mine needs the "leather" covering replacing otherwise even after having gone around the world with me twice, across Australia and US it works beautifully.

A

AMW-Chef

I now have two of them

As a tribute, I'm preparing a rather large article on the LC1. I think a modern day comparison is due, and, lets just say I'm pretty smitten with the design. :p

In the article, I'm calling on Panasonic to release an LC2. I ask for totally reasonable changes, but ask also that they keep the good parts the same or near the same.

Basic outline of what I ask for from Panasonic:

• Update 2/3" sensor to new model, update processor
  • Developed to support native ISO 50, up to ISO 1600 max
  • Include Image stabilization on the sensor
  • Upgrade EVF to G-1's EVF specs or better
  • Upgrade LCD panel to 2.7"-2.8" wide, 230-460K dots
  • Update and improve menu's a bit
  • Keep everything else basically the same and tradtional. This includes the specs of the leica lens (bar a 26-120 increase in focal length perhaps).

That's it. As is the LC1 is a fine tool. I love it to bits, it gives me what I can't get from anything else on the market. I'm writing this big article on it because at the end of the day, I'll know I did my part to try and preserve what is, always will be, an EXCELLENT design.

-C

D

D upton-Hackett.

I love my Leica D2 not had it long and still getting used to it, or close to the truth it is teaching me and I'm loving it. just posted a pic under post "spring rose close-up"

jminor

I was seriously tempted by a Digilux2 not too long ago, and was discussing a trade with my Oly E-P2. At the last minute I chickened out and kept the Oly, but the Digilux2 has been in the back of my mind since then. And it sure doesn't help when Carl Garrard posts his tribute to the LC1..... And to make matters worse, Thorsten Overgaard's writtings add fuel to the fire....
If I found myself in a similar situation now I would probably make the trade as I really miss analog controls, and to be able to shoot with that great big wonderful lens would be great fun.....
John

Terry

I used to own the Digilux 2. I have yearned for a new version for years. As mentioned above by AMW most of what I want is in the interior guts. The form fact/lens are superb.

Give me a new sensor (same size is fine)/lcd/evf etc. and I would be ecstatic.

A

AMW-Chef

I used to own the Digilux 2. I have yearned for a new version for years. As mentioned above by AMW most of what I want is in the interior guts. The form fact/lens are superb.

Give me a new sensor (same size is fine)/lcd/evf etc. and I would be ecstatic.
The question is, how much would we pay for a brand new one? That is assuming it were as expected.

900? 1200? 1600?

I'd go up to 1600 personally. If it were the list or near the list enough of what I was saying earlier, I'd sell off some stuff to get one.

C

sonomichele

The question is, how much would we pay for a brand new one? That is assuming it were as expected.

900? 1200? 1600?

I'd go up to 1600 personally. If it were the list or near the list enough of what I was saying earlier, I'd sell off some stuff to get one.

C
The original Digilux 2 was about $1800 in the US, and that was in 2004 dollars.

A

AMW-Chef

looks like Fuji made something very close to what I was hoping, bar a fast zoom lens.

Carl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ the moderator: the list (bullet point) function is broken; see AMW-Chef's post above—trying to read black on black is hard! I edited my recent post on the LX-5 because the dot points came out black, too.

Re. the LC-1 (D2); I had two LC-1s and agree with everything written above. IMHO, this is a much better camera than the X1. 24mmEFOV at the wide end, and I would definitely buy the Mk II version. The lens is simply superb.

dhsimmonds

I can echo everything that's been said here and elsewhere on the LC1. It's a great camera with the perfect sensor/lens combo. Don't let the 5 Mpx put you off as this camera is as relevant today as when it first appeared.

Mine has accompanied me around the world three times now and is looking a bit tired but it is on it's second sensor (Panasonic UK replaced mine without charge....well out of warranty!) and it is still taking very fine images..I love it!