The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first DP-1 shots

otumay

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine decided to end his love and hate relationship with DP-1 and gave it me. I always had faith in the Foveon sensor in spite of my unhappy adventures with SD-14 and was more than eager to give this camera a try.

I was very positively impressed with the results. I tried not to focus on its shortcomings and used it in varying light conditions. I humbly present my first steps into the DP-1 world. Criticisms are very welcome.

Kind regards,

Osman

Tim

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine decided to end his love and hate relationship with DP-1 and gave it me. I always had faith in the Foveon sensor in spite of my unhappy adventures with SD-14 and was more than eager to give this camera a try.

I was very positively impressed with the results. I tried not to focus on its shortcomings and used it in varying light conditions. I humbly present my first steps into the DP-1 world. Criticisms are very welcome.

Kind regards,

Osman
Osman, The images here look wonderful and as long as there are no complaints from you about using the camera?, I think it looks like a win for you. :)

I have the DP2 and am still coming to grips with it, seems you are faster than me!

otumay

Osman, The images here look wonderful and as long as there are no complaints from you about using the camera?, I think it looks like a win for you. :)

I have the DP2 and am still coming to grips with it, seems you are faster than me!
Tim, it was love at first sight, so I am overlooking its flaws.

otumay

Osman,

Nice photos, especially the low light shots. Did you use SPP to process?
Yes I used SPP 3.3 (Mac) to convert to 16-bit TIFF, then PS CS4 to make minor adjustments like correcting the horizontal, levels fine tuning,etc. Glad you liked them.

otumay

Thank you Wayne, you can take my word that those guys in the ads are not well-paid, but astronomically paid! The guitarist as OK.
Osman

S

stevenkania

Hi Osman,

I think you need to add this camera to your "signature list" since it seems to be working fine for you. Don't ever give it back to your friend because seriously any photographer with enough patience couldn't have disliked the camera. He is either impatient or just a P+S photographer.

Steven

otumay

Thanks Steven,

I did as you told me and changed my signature. I think my friend is a little impatient. Well, you know how young people sometimes are;)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hmmmmm,
Impatient......
There's another word they use for me especially.
FOOL.... I sold my DP1 but loved it and miss it.
Yeppers, "Like the fool on the hill".

Shooter ..... With a shot and missed...

otumay

Seyhun, you would be the last person I'd call impatient. I understand that DP-1 did not measure up to your exacting standards. As for me, you know it is always a hunch, a feeling that this or that camera is just for me. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't like it, otherwise I would not be able to use this wonder of a camera. Thanks again...

Shooter, I think I understand what you feel; exchanging my Nikon D2x for a D300 which I exchanged for a D700 which I rarely use. Not that it is a bad camera, but I never liked it the way I did my D2x.

By the way, DP-1 constantly gives me the 'itch'; I went home in a very roundabout way today:

Best,
Osman

smokysun

hi osman,
there seems to be a huge prejudice against postprocessling, yet many famous photos are crops: lange's migrant woman, hcb's puddle jumper, kertesz's photo of his wife's face with his hand on her shoulder. and all the great view camera people have dodged and burned like crazy: weston, adams, and so on.
i've made no secret of playing with these plugins

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?

i've tried hundreds of plugins (literally) and this set the one i use almost exclusively these days, along with neat image and focus magic.

this last pic a perfect one to work on. you can use the demo for two weeks.

i envy you istanbul. i haven't been there in forty years but the images still indelible. (do you have webb's recent book on the city?) i think in the digital darkroom is where you will find your own, special vision of it. you've already great raw material. who was it said you don't take a picture, you make it?

all the best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i love the guitarist picture. i think you could really emphasis an interpreation of what you're seeing: focus, detail, etc. they do not have to be major changes. tiny ones matter a lot.

otumay

hi osman,
there seems to be a huge prejudice against postprocessling, yet many famous photos are crops: lange's migrant woman, hcb's puddle jumper, kertesz's photo of his wife's face with his hand on her shoulder. and all the great view camera people have dodged and burned like crazy: weston, adams, and so on.
i've made no secret of playing with these plugins

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?

i've tried hundreds of plugins (literally) and this set the one i use almost exclusively these days, along with neat image and focus magic.

Hi Wayne,

I completely agree with you on the subject of post-processing, maybe for slightly different reasons. I think the photographer has every right to utilize whatever technique he can to achieve the results he has in mind. I never shun any attempt, saying that the image was heavily manipulated, though I retouch my images only slightly.

My personal perspective is this: After recovering from a very advanced case of cataract in both eyes, I went literally to tears upon rediscovering the beauty of things; the color, the texture, play of light on things, the majesty of nature and man-made wonders. Being a very latecomer in photography, I only had a beginner's insight to taking photographs. I was very fortunate to have Seyhun, my very good friend and a very knowledged photographer to help me limp along on this bumpy road. But still a long way to go...

So, in comes the magical world of post-processing. Only then I can come close to producing images of the things I see with my new eyes, because my raw files leave a lot to be desired. (Learning became a steeper climb for me in my fifties). I think; "If I can really capture the beauty of the Topkapi Palace as I SEE IT, I shall be able to share my amazement with others through my photographs".

I know this message has become painfully long, so I'll end with sincere thanks to you and Shooter for taking an interest in my photographs and providing me valued insight. I downloaded the demo version from Nik Software and shall give it a try today.

Best,

Osman

P.S.: Thanks for your kind words about my city. You'd find it changed considerably during the past forty years.