The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where has all the water gone?

Tim

A sign of the times... at the end of the Murray River in Australia are the lower lakes, this image taken near the town of Goolwa.

The stress of water use from the river has resulted in the low levels. :(
Its surprising that the paddle boat can still sail. :shocked:

Panasonic LX3 1/1000 sec f5.6 ISO:80

jpg from camera

Tim

Last edited:

Tim

No one seemed to like the colour version, so I have reprocessed in Silkypix from the RAW file a B/W version.

Anyone like this version? :confused:

Tim

I prefer the b/w version.
Osman
Thanks Osman, I think the BW works a bit better.

I am curious though on the lack of comments, is this a bad image? or too tough a subject? Too depressing perhaps? No one likes it?

Criticisms welcome.. :deadhorse:

Will

Tim I've not been looking in so much the last few days or I would have commented.
I like both the colour and B&W versions. I do find myself wanting to lift the view to include more sky though, or lower it to include just the pier. I feel like I'm looking and 2/3 of two different shots?

W

wbrandsma

While I personally like the B&W version, I would have probably picked a different perspective to emphasize the drought. I think the Murray River and its problems do make an excellent photographic story Tim (a suggestion?).

nostatic

Tim I've not been looking in so much the last few days or I would have commented.
I like both the colour and B&W versions. I do find myself wanting to lift the view to include more sky though, or lower it to include just the pier. I feel like I'm looking and 2/3 of two different shots?
I like the pier and the weeds. My "frame" would probably be that with maybe a bit of water in the edge.

But I have a weird eye...

Tim

I like the pier and the weeds. My "frame" would probably be that with maybe a bit of water in the edge.

But I have a weird eye...
thanks for the feedback, everyone. I felt this image wasn't right either, but often the author is not keen to be critical of his own work. I think the sky should be less or nothing too, now that you mention it. The image was to try and say something about the impact of this water situation we have, so the boat forced to the center of the river seemed to say something for me.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Viewing this image, I am also paying very careful attention to the written words describing the image.

The title, opens for a story....
The words support the image...
The image supports the words..

This image works better in color, although some from the story could be b&w.
I think you could satisfy everyone's crop issues by using 16/9 format.
The LX3 lends itself very well to this format.

an observation..... shooter

nostatic

I hadn't looked before. To me the color has more impact.
I agree. If water (or lack thereof) is the point, then you should see blue - in that case color along is suggesting content. To me water in a b&w photo is usually about something else.

And I think a dry dock with weeds says a lot about "where's the water" ;)

In the end though, it is about what it says to you. It is interesting to see what it says to others though.

Lili

Tim, at first I liked the B&W more, then, in my head I cropped the color version the same way.
I think the color version has more imapct then.
:)