Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how many cameras is enough?

Post Thanks / Like

how many cameras is enough?

"never enough" isn't allowable. I"m wondering what is in people's collection, and what they use on a regular basis. Using the Reidism, it seems that you'd want at least one of various sensor sizes because they "draw" differently. But there also is an issue with usability and learning a different "manual of arms" (for those of you who shoot things other than cameras).

Right now I have:

D Lux 3 (what I mostly shoot with at the moment)
    Panasonic FZ-20 - long throw zoom (36-432) that can be useful but I'm not crazy about the IQ..almost never use it
    Canon SD400 (what I used to shoot with a lot, very pocketable but now used by my 11 year old son)
    Nikon D70 - used to use a 105mm micro almost exclusively but the sensor is now sick and I sold off all the lenses anticipating a switch to Pentax. Either will sell or let my son use it (he loves manual focus)
    Canon A620 - got it because it was supposed to do macro well. Ended up giving it to a g/f.

I'm thinking small sensor, dslr with a couple lenses and that could cover it. But it is fun to have different approaches, and the GRD2 still calls to me as I think that shooting with it would change my approach (just as the 16x9 of the DLux has). I also am moving more manual as I go...one thing I like about a dslr with old prime lenses.

you?
    Last edited by nostatic; 6th March 2008 at 16:36.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how many cameras is enough?

Moi?
    In order of useage;
    Now my GRD, my 'carry camera'
    My Fuji's, S5200 (38-380mm efl) and S6000fd (28-300mm efl) 'superzoom' bridge cameras.
    My Pentax K100D, in Hospital for hot pixels, used mainly with 50/1.4 'big-eye' lens.
    Sold-off
    Nikon Coolpix S6, tiny, light, frustrating P&S
    Given Away
    Fuji Finepix F31fd, lovely available light machine, frustrating interface, too few image controls
    If my K100D is not covered by warranty it and the two kit lenses and the 1.4 will go.
    In plaxe of it may come a E-410 or 420.
    Gotta love that 25/2.8
    I consider also a Nikon D40, are there pancake lenses for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    "never enough" isn't allowable. I"m wondering what is in people's collection, and what they use on a regular basis. Using the Reidism, it seems that you'd want at least one of various sensor sizes because they "draw" differently. But there also is an issue with usability and learning a different "manual of arms" (for those of you who shoot things other than cameras).

you?
    OK, I'll play. I have a GRD-2 and GRD. Thinking of using the 21mm converter on the GRD only, because it is clumsy to install it while walking about. They work almost the same, so that's one manual. I had a GX-100, but my 10-yr old daughter, inspired by Cheyenne Reid, has it now and is off doing a reportage at the local pizza parlor.

I have one M8 body, and several lenses. No manual needed. Covers almost everything I ever need. Don't think I'll exhaust its capabilities.

I used an E-1 for a few years, have some nice lenses from that time, and bought an E-3 to get more use of the lenses. There's quite a manual that goes with it. The M8 vs the E-3 is an either/or proposition, as I don't like to carry a lot of stuff with me. The E-3 does nicely when I am only shooting with its longer lenses.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a very tough question,
    it is something like how much air, water, food, or sex is enough.
    I have not yet found my limit in any of these dimensions yet, and suppose that when I do I will also have eaten enough and drank enough.

As far as cameras are concerned I have lessee....
    2 M8's 1 MP, 1 D200, 1 D300 about to arrive, 1 F3HP, 1 Panasonic DMC-LX2, a Canon SD800 IS an iPhone, and a Polaroid SX70.
    As for the other things......, well maybe best said that as long as I can stand, there be never enough.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you guys are certainly digitally geared-up! I have a Canon D60 dSLR which I purchased in 2002. I gave away my old Nikon Coolpix 950 at that time.

All my other gear is (really) analog: Pentax Super A, Yashica FX-3, Contax 139Q, Contax T2, and some very much older stuff (most of which I still use regularly) like a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta BX (by far my favourite to use), Pentacon 6 (also 6x6), Welta Weltur (again 6x6), a Corfield Periflex (a most unusual Leica screwmount camera that offers TTL-focusing via a tiny little periscope that slides down behind the lens), a couple of Soviets: Zorki-1 & FED-2, and a mix of L39-mount lenses from various places. I hasten to add that these older cameras are somewhat older than me (very much so in the case of the Welta).... all the better to learn from :-)

Obviously, I use that D60 regularly, and that's why I'm chasing compacts now, since I don't want to carry it everywhere. I often go out with one of those older cameras simply because they are so much smaller (well, apart from the monstrous Pentacon 6). I'm no Luddite when it comes to technology, but I have managed to curtail my genuine lust for modern gadgetry as much as possible over the past few years!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got two cameras; an M8 and a D-Lux 3.

I don't really count my film cameras, because they're in storage in California. So, there's a Nikon F3, a Canonette GIII QL-17, an Olympus XA and a Polaroid SX-70 sitting in a camera bag out there.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 5D
    Leica M8 and Epson R-D1
    Leica IIIG, M3, M4
    Modified Holga 120N.
    Ricoh GR-DII

Use the M8 and the 5D the most but am shooting the IIIG and M3 to get back to film more.
    Still trying to sort out the GR-DII for my shooting tastes. But already love it fitting in my shirt pocket.

Should shoot the Holga more and the RD-1 is the home of my Canon 0.95 and M8 back up.

And I await the Canon replacement for the 5D so I'll have two FF Canon bodies.

Let's don't even talk about lenses as I'm a Glass Whore. Never met a Fast lens I didn't like... Want Canon LTM 50/1.2 for the IIIG.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 6th March 2008 at 18:04.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon D300- my main boy.
    Contax G2- for DSLR quality in a P&S with AF and motor drive. Film required. Zeiss glass.
    GX100- for a good quality compact.
    Olympus 850 SW- for always-in-the-pocket or waterproof applications.

I'd still like to have something compact with DSLR-level quality that's not as restricted as the DP1 or expensive as the M8. Love to have a D3. Need strobes. Need models. Help...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My way back into photography was through the Digilux 2. It was a camera that just felt so right. At that time I wasn't carrying around a camera all the time so along came the D-lux3.....

But then.....the Digilux 2 sensor died and the D-lux3 was sitting in my house in AZ while I was in NY and could not retrieve it. Having nothing I went on a small sensor camera journey and bought a bunch (FZ8, TZ3, A630....OK that is all I will admit to).

With the Digilux 2 going into its fifth month of being at Leica with and no current supply of new sensors in stock, I called Leica about upgrading to the M8. The BEST, BEST, BEST customer support experience in my life, they let me upgrade with a very generous allowance for my dead D2. No new cameras but lots of lenses since then.

I was very anti dslr because of the bulk and for me I just knew there was no chance I would carry it around the city or travel

Of the small sensor cameras, if the d-lux3 (with the manual controls+RAW) and TZ3 (with excellent range 28-280) could be merged together with a couple of other enhancements it would be a killer.

I applaud the effort on the DP1 but its lack of flexibility for the price leaves me a little cold.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I include my film cameras
    Minox 35gl
    Cosina CX-2 (the ur-lomo)
    Voiglander Vito II
    Voigtlander Perkeo II
    Agfa Click
    Agfa Clack
    Zeiss Box-Tengor 54/2
    Agfa Cadet
    Yashica GSN
    Yashica GTN
    Olympus 35SP
    Yashicamat original model
    Yashica D with Yashinon lenses
    Sawyers Mk IV
    Ricoh R-1
    Konica Hexar AF

The Minox is the same model as my first camera, a heavily used GL my Dad gave me on graduating High School. It was stolen in college, I just replaced it in the last year or so.
    The Konica was my only film camera for a long time.
    The rest were given to me or collected in the past 3 years.
    Last edited by Lili; 6th March 2008 at 18:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Current cameras are the Nikon D2Xs, my Nikon F3, an M8, Nikon 990, and Canon S70.

I've owned cameras in the past that I miss, but would never buy again. Mostly view cameras. Yeah, I do kind of miss them. The medium format stuff? Not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

so is the M8 "all that and a bag of chips"? Would one eschew a dslr and just trip the light fantastic with that and a small sensor beast (well, other than TEB )? I've never shot a rangefinder and the price is prohibitive (well, until I sell my track car). It feels like a religion...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I have currently:

Digital
    (2) Leica M8 bodies with various lenses (CV & Leica)
    Leica D-Lux 2
    Ricoh GRD II & 40mm
    Panny TZ3
    Leica V-Lux 1 (my wife uses this)
    Nikon 8800 (used by my wife before the V-Lux)

Film
    Leica M4-P
    Olympus XA-2

Are they enough? Well certainly until something else essential comes along, at which point some may become barter!

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

so is the M8 "all that and a bag of chips"? Would one eschew a dslr and just trip the light fantastic with that and a small sensor beast (well, other than TEB )?
    Hey, that'd be me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so is the M8 "all that and a bag of chips"? Would one eschew a dslr and just trip the light fantastic with that and a small sensor beast (well, other than TEB )? I've never shot a rangefinder and the price is prohibitive (well, until I sell my track car). It feels like a religion...
    I had never used a rangefinder before buying the M8. I really like it A LOT and I happy about my decision. It is a very clean interface with very few buttons. When you take a shot, nothing blanks out at all and you are always ready to take that second shot unlike some of the small sensor cameras.

I hope that Leica can come up with a way to put a good fast lens (prime is fine) on a small package with a big sensor and wow us!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Starting to get jealous here. I don't have half the stuff you folks have
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Hey, that'd be me.
    mea culpa. I have short term memory problems

I have short term memory problems

I have short term memory problems

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, that'd be me.
    OK, I may have a short term memory but I can't read!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was saying that Terry and I both are two camera gals.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was saying that Terry and I both are two camera gals.
    Ok I'm also a little slow....

Post Thanks / Like

one thing for sure...looking at Leica lens prices make the Pentax limiteds look downright cheap.

Colman

Enough? Hah. What I have and use:

GR-D II, all the accessories. Goes everywhere.
    D200 (recently upgraded from D70s when the prices dropped!), collection of primes, 70-200VR.
    Nikon EM, which I love dearly. Small, no hassle, enough manual control, feels nice. And my beloved 20mm AF works as a wide angle on it.
    I'm in the process of resurrecting my Bender Photographic kit-build 4" x 5" ...

I *want* a real film rangefinder. Trying to resist at the moment.

Does a Coolscan V count as a camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not counting my old silver cameras (lots of them, but all retired), I have a Nikon D200 with 17-55/2.8 (my "lumbago outfit"), a Digilux 2, and now a D-lux 3.

Afraid the D200 will be used less and less, mainly for dogs/kids and similar UFO´s.

The D-lux 3 is a new love that´s almost always with me.

The Digilux 2 has been temporarily retired while I learn the D-lux, but I think I´ll get back to using it a lot again. Being able to instantly preset the zoom, even when the power is off, is great (this is one of the weak points of the D-lux), and it is far easier to hold and to use in cold weather.

Yet another one? Well, the GRD II might still come my way; very impressed with what I see in this forum. And of course the M8, whenever I strike oil in my backyard....

Post Thanks / Like

At least two of every thing. I only shoot in stereo now once I got turned onto it a couple of years ago. Non stereo images are just half done.

Cameras that I use are:

• Ricoh GX100
    • Ricoh GR-D
    • Epson R-D1
    • Leica MP
    • Canon EOS 1Ds (the original one)
    • Canon EOS 1v

Of these, the GX100 goes with me almost everywhere, and the R-D1 or 1Ds are used when I go out specifically to take photographs. Regrettably, the film cameras don't get used so much nowadays.

I also collect old cameras, but they are too numerous to list!

Alan

Player

Digi:

Canon A95 (my first)
    Ricoh GRD2
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D80

Film:

Minox 35 GT-E
    Nikon F2 (meterless finder)
    Nikon FM3A

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    At least two of every thing. I only shoot in stereo now once I got turned onto it a couple of years ago. Non stereo images are just half done.
    Well, the mind boggles....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Well, the mind boggles....
    It surely does....

For the tech geeks: Canon 5D, DeWijis 6.5mm separation lens 3.6:1 macro f/90 . Canon MT 24ex twin flash.

You need to cross your eyes slightly to see this as a stereo. That is: cross your eyes till you see three images and look at the center image only while holding your eyes crossed.

The scale speed that this little guy moves is at about 125 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    It surely does....

For the tech geeks: Canon 5D, DeWijis 6.5mm separation lens 3.6:1 macro f/90 . Canon MT 24ex twin flash.

You need to cross your eyes slightly to see this as a stereo. That is: cross your eyes till you see three images and look at the center image only while holding your eyes crossed.

The scale speed that this little guy moves is at about 125 mph.
    cool. The other trick for seeing this is to put your finger midway between your eye and the computer screen. Focus on your finger, then remove your finger without changing your eye gaze.

As a reformed chemist, I spent many an hour resolving stereo chemical structures. It becomes easier but can give you a massive headache. Oh wait, maybe that was the ether

Post Thanks / Like

That's the first one of these stereo pairs I've been able to resolve. There's a contributor to the GX100 flickr group who posts lots of these, but I've not had success. Now I'll go back and try again armed with these instructions!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the set up. And my very first image with it. For reference it is an African Violet pestals.

wbrandsma

Digital:
    Ricoh GX100
    Olympus C4000z

Film:
    Ricoh GR1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm feeling pretty deprived here:

Nikon D200
    Nikon D70 converted to IR
    Fujifilm F30 digicam in the purse or car for when I'm not carrying the big ones
    I think there's an old Canon EOS film camera somewhere, but I've lost track of it...

Lisa

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm - should I own up?
    okay I will:
    M8 . . . . okay, TWO M8's
    GX100
    D-Lux3
    Olympus E1
    E3

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Excellent! I feel much better about the few camera I have compared to the rest of you!

Canon 5D, 40D, 20D converted to IR
    Pentax Optio S (3mp camera that fits inside an Altoids tin), Optio S5z

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Ahh, camera phone I never use *hahaha*

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm - should I own up?
    okay I will:
    M8 . . . . okay, TWO M8's
    GX100
    D-Lux3
    Olympus E1
    E3
    JONO
    YOUR A LITTLE PIGGY and I'm jealous......

as for me ( having just sold my Mamiya 645 pro & Digilux 2 )
    which leaves me with:
    Digital / D lux 3 & Grd2
    Film / Rollei 35S

DominicPerry

GRD2
    Voigtlander Bessa R3M
    Nikon D50
    Olympus OM1
    Sony P150
    Olympus 35SP

and I've never taken a decent shot with any of them. Beat that.

Dominic

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    GRD2
    Voigtlander Bessa R3M
    Nikon D50
    Olympus OM1
    Sony P150
    Olympus 35SP

and I've never taken a decent shot with any of them. Beat that.

Dominic
    I've never taken a decent shot with any of your cameras, either!

Post Thanks / Like

at least as far as he knows...

asabet

Currently use:
    Olympus OM-2N (2 of these) - This is my currently most used camera. I most often use it with an OM 40mm f/2 lens.
    Bessa R3A - I really enjoy the 1:1 finder on this camera and use it with an M-Hexanon 50/2. However, when I feel the urge to shoot film, I almost always reach for the OM-2N; so I may be selling the Bessa soon. I don't like to keep around gear that I'm not using. Just doesn't feel right to me that a great camera should go unused.
    Canon 5D - I mostly use this camera for low light. Most often with the EF 50mm f/1.4. Otherwise, it's mainly been 35mm film for me lately.

Plan to get:
    Sigma DP1 and Ricoh GRD II - Will compare these and subsequently sell one.
    Olympus E-420 and ZD 25mm f/2.8

Of a number of digital cameras that I have sold or given away, the two I probably enjoyed most were the Leica Digilux 2 and the Ricoh GX100. Both truly great cameras that didn't exactly fit my needs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    JONO
    YOUR A LITTLE PIGGY and I'm jealous......

as for me ( having just sold my Mamiya 645 pro & Digilux 2 )
    which leaves me with:
    Digital / D lux 3 & Grd2
    Film / Rollei 35S
    HI Helen
    I am a piggy - we had a VAT inspection yesterday, and even our accountant looked shocked!
    But you should see what I haven't got anymore!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Helen
    I am a piggy - we had a VAT inspection yesterday, and even our accountant looked shocked!
    But you should see what I haven't got anymore!
    Actually Jono....when I saw the post I laughed because of all the stuff I know that you have had at one time or another....

Ruhayat

Mine would be (in order of ownership):

1. Panasonic LC-40 -- nice lens; still great pics even after 5 years, but body a bit wonky now
    2. Panasonic FZ5 -- took a while before I could get usable shots out of it; Vario Elmarit lens not as nice & sharp as Vario Summicron, IQ also not so good
    3. Leica D-Lux 3 -- bought on a whim out of lust, really; I still haven't mastered this camera, I might just sell it off one of these days
    4. Leica Digilux 2 -- my favourite, it's just about perfect
    5. Ricoh GRD -- was my favourite before I got a bag for the Digilux 2 that allowed me to carry that around; I much prefer the 40mm lens than the standard 28mm now.

I suppose I could get the 410 with a couple of lens to replace them all. But then I'd lose the unique characteristics of each -- for some reason, each of cameras above compel me to take photos in different ways.

I think the other day I finally figured out why I can't seem to gel with the D-Lux 3: it's characteristics and the shots it takes are quite SLR-like (to me). It's also very suitable for the kind of shots I'd imagine an SLR excels at -- the pretty pictures that take time to compose properly. I discovered a while ago that I'm pretty much a Rangefinder Type -- SLRs just get in the way too much for me -- which is why I've bonded far easier with the Digilux 2 and GRD.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Actually Jono....when I saw the post I laughed because of all the stuff I know that you have had at one time or another....
    Okay Okay, confession time - I'll start from the digital era (otherwise it'd be too embarrassing ).

Olympus C3030
    Olympus E10
    Olympus E20
    Olympus E100RS
    Canon G3
    Nikon D1x
    Nikon 5700
    Nikon D100
    Kodak 14n
    Olympus E1
    Olympus E500
    Nikon D2x
    Olympus E330
    Nikon D200
    Leica V-Lux1
    Leica M6
    Leica M8
    Ricoh GR-d
    Leica M8
    Olympus E510
    Ricoh GX100
    Olympus E3
    Leica d-lux3
    Ricoh Gx100

Where cameras occur twice, it's because I've bought two of 'em!
    Actually, these are just the ones I can remember - I do sell them too, they've all had their points (some of them bad ones), and most of the decent photos I've taken could have been taken with any of them!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, you're my new hero

Player

I thought this was just about cameras you currently have. Let's see if I can remember all my cameras, since I became serious:

Digital (same as current list):

Canon A95*
    Ricoh GRD2*
    Nikon D80*
    Nikon D200*

Film:

Pentax SF-10
    Pentax SF-1n
    Pentax K-1000
    Pentax 67 (2)
    Fuji 670II
    Hasselblad 500CM
    Nikon FM2n
    Nikon FM2T
    Nikon FM3A*
    Nikon F2*
    Nikon F3HP
    Nikon F4
    Leica M6 (one black/ one silver)
    Minox 35GT-E*
    Minox 35ML

*Cameras I currently have

This doesn't hold a candle to Jono.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My list would be two pages, if I could remember them all. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

while the historical perspective is interesting, I think my curiosity is more around what you use now and why/for what. Guy, I've read your comments about using the M8 for a lot of stuff, but there being occasions where you need to go to the dslr. In my case I'm rarely shooting for a "client" but rather for my own "art", so that is less of a pressure on me. But I do want to explore different looks and push myself to try different things. I know that the nut behind the wheel is most of it, but the gear does seem to influence things, whether it is the way the sensor and lens draws or the way the ergonomics/ui get in or out of the way.

helgipelgi

At the moment I have these:

Lomo LC-A, Holga CFN120, Diana+, SuperSampler, Panasonic LX2, Ricoh GRD2, and a Canon 10D + 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/1.8

All bought/acquired since last Christmas, so I've been on a bit of a spree lately. Feel a lot less guilty about my collection after reading this thread, so cheers everyone :D

Oh, and the answer to the question is obviously: n+1

DominicPerry

Or in Jono's case 2(n+1)+1

Dominic