The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What now, Boss?

Don Ellis

Walking around town at lunch today, I found this workman up on a ladder, phoning for instructions. You can’t really see his phone in the small version, but it’s more apparent in the full-size photo.

I would been even more visible if I were to lighten the shadows… but light and shadow are what the photo is about for me, not phones, so if you can’t see it, you’ll just have to think of another caption. :)

Sigma DP2… click for larger image.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Hell "I love those tones" in this engaging shot.
Think i may have said this before Don, i envy you out there in Hong Kong, will you ever think of returning home where ever that maybe.

Derek.

Don Ellis

Hell "I love those tones" in this engaging shot.
Think i may have said this before Don, i envy you out there in Hong Kong, will you ever think of returning home where ever that maybe.
Derek.
Thank you, Derek... and I think I've said this before: "Sometimes I envy myself." :)

I am home... I'm a permanent resident and have been here for 24 years. I've only been back to the U.S. five times... and if I hadn't been visiting family, I wouldn't have been back at all.

Cheers,
Don

smokysun

hi don,
just saw another movie i think you'd enjoy: 'away we go' about a couple travelling the us and canada for a place to call home. twill make you even gladder about where you are.
browsed your galleries. wonderful stuff.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Don Ellis

hi don,
just saw another movie i think you'd enjoy: 'away we go' about a couple travelling the us and canada for a place to call home. twill make you even gladder about where you are.
browsed your galleries. wonderful stuff.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Hi Wayne... went to my local HMV and they tell me there's one copy of The Chinese Box in Central, so I'm off to get that. Thanks for the new recommendation. And it was nice of you to look around the galleries and take the time to comment... thank you.

Don

MHC

Hello Don,

I like this photo. To me, it's always enjoyable and interesting to see your photos taken in Hong Kong beacuse I also live here. Sometimes, I think that there's not much worth to shot here in HK. But after seeing your photo, I think it's not the case. Apparently, you really have the photographer's eye.

mhc

Don Ellis

Hello Don,
I like this photo. To me, it's always enjoyable and interesting to see your photos taken in Hong Kong beacuse I also live here. Sometimes, I think that there's not much worth to shot here in HK. But after seeing your photo, I think it's not the case. Apparently, you really have the photographer's eye.

mhc
www.flickr.com/photos/mhchung
Hi... thanks for the very generous compliment... I always think that if you can't find something to shoot in Hong Kong, you probably just need to see it through others' eyes. It's easy as a resident to think that things are commonplace.

Of course, a lot of photography is simply timing. This scene attracted me half a block away because of its size, the message, the light, the shadows of the trees and the man on the ladder preparing to put the last strip of wallpaper in place. I walk by it now when it has none of those elements, and it's just something to glance at and keep on walking.

Cheers,
Don

pollobarca

Don,
the light in the middle and the straight lines make this a very peaceful scene.
Reminds me of the scene in "Roma" where Fellini films two set decorators
working in a studio in Cinecittà while one pulls the others leg . Its the same peaceful
atmosphere. How did you manage that in HK!

Don Ellis

Don,
the light in the middle and the straight lines make this a very peaceful scene.
Reminds me of the scene in "Roma" where Fellini films two set decorators
working in a studio in Cinecittà while one pulls the others leg . Its the same peaceful
atmosphere. How did you manage that in HK!
I must admit that my knowledge of Fellini films is poor... I'll have to look for that one now that you've mentioned it.

As for peaceful, even Hong Kong has its moments of tranquility... not many, but it sometimes happens even in the city. Of course, I live in the country, where it's pretty peaceful most of the time... unless they're building a new house right next door. We've been in the same village for 11 years now. After the first five years, they began building a new home right next to us, blocking our view of a beautiful green hillside -- so when they finished, we walked next door, took a look around and moved in. Fortunately, it was the same landlord, so it was fine with him.

Cheers,
Don

pollobarca

Don,
I must get my films right when quoting.
its Fellini's Intervista , the scene painters at CineCittà.
bit of the scene is here
http://www.perceber.com/archives/2007/04/happy_birthday.html

The scene painters are slowly brushing in silence . The conversation is:-
― Oh, a Ce’…
― Che voi?
― Vattela a pijà ‘nder culo.

and it continues

― A Ce’ ―, fa il primo.
E l’altro, sbuffando: ― Uuhhhh!
― Sai chi t’ho incontrato ieri? Moccoletto. Sai che m’ha detto?
― No.
― M’ha detto che te la devi annà a pijà…