Site Sponsors

Thread: What now, Boss?

Post Thanks / Like

What now, Boss?

Walking around town at lunch today, I found this workman up on a ladder, phoning for instructions. You can’t really see his phone in the small version, but it’s more apparent in the full-size photo.

I would been even more visible if I were to lighten the shadows… but light and shadow are what the photo is about for me, not phones, so if you can’t see it, you’ll just have to think of another caption.

Sigma DP2… click for larger image.

D upton-Hackett.

Re: What now, Boss?

Hell "I love those tones" in this engaging shot.
    Think i may have said this before Don, i envy you out there in Hong Kong, will you ever think of returning home where ever that maybe.

Derek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D upton-Hackett. View Post
    Hell "I love those tones" in this engaging shot.
    Think i may have said this before Don, i envy you out there in Hong Kong, will you ever think of returning home where ever that maybe.
    Derek.
    Thank you, Derek... and I think I've said this before: "Sometimes I envy myself."

I am home... I'm a permanent resident and have been here for 24 years. I've only been back to the U.S. five times... and if I hadn't been visiting family, I wouldn't have been back at all.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

hi don,
    just saw another movie i think you'd enjoy: 'away we go' about a couple travelling the us and canada for a place to call home. twill make you even gladder about where you are.
    browsed your galleries. wonderful stuff.
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    hi don,
    just saw another movie i think you'd enjoy: 'away we go' about a couple travelling the us and canada for a place to call home. twill make you even gladder about where you are.
    browsed your galleries. wonderful stuff.
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Hi Wayne... went to my local HMV and they tell me there's one copy of The Chinese Box in Central, so I'm off to get that. Thanks for the new recommendation. And it was nice of you to look around the galleries and take the time to comment... thank you.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Don,

I like this photo. To me, it's always enjoyable and interesting to see your photos taken in Hong Kong beacuse I also live here. Sometimes, I think that there's not much worth to shot here in HK. But after seeing your photo, I think it's not the case. Apparently, you really have the photographer's eye.

mhc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHC View Post
    Hello Don,
    I like this photo. To me, it's always enjoyable and interesting to see your photos taken in Hong Kong beacuse I also live here. Sometimes, I think that there's not much worth to shot here in HK. But after seeing your photo, I think it's not the case. Apparently, you really have the photographer's eye.

mhc
    www.flickr.com/photos/mhchung
    Hi... thanks for the very generous compliment... I always think that if you can't find something to shoot in Hong Kong, you probably just need to see it through others' eyes. It's easy as a resident to think that things are commonplace.

Of course, a lot of photography is simply timing. This scene attracted me half a block away because of its size, the message, the light, the shadows of the trees and the man on the ladder preparing to put the last strip of wallpaper in place. I walk by it now when it has none of those elements, and it's just something to glance at and keep on walking.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Don,
    the light in the middle and the straight lines make this a very peaceful scene.
    Reminds me of the scene in "Roma" where Fellini films two set decorators
    working in a studio in Cinecittą while one pulls the others leg . Its the same peaceful
    atmosphere. How did you manage that in HK!
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Don,
    the light in the middle and the straight lines make this a very peaceful scene.
    Reminds me of the scene in "Roma" where Fellini films two set decorators
    working in a studio in Cinecittą while one pulls the others leg . Its the same peaceful
    atmosphere. How did you manage that in HK!
    I must admit that my knowledge of Fellini films is poor... I'll have to look for that one now that you've mentioned it.

As for peaceful, even Hong Kong has its moments of tranquility... not many, but it sometimes happens even in the city. Of course, I live in the country, where it's pretty peaceful most of the time... unless they're building a new house right next door. We've been in the same village for 11 years now. After the first five years, they began building a new home right next to us, blocking our view of a beautiful green hillside -- so when they finished, we walked next door, took a look around and moved in. Fortunately, it was the same landlord, so it was fine with him.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

hi don,
    did you find chinese box? i thought of two other films for you, the most beautiful ever made in black and white (i think it's the sharp lenses).

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Man-Johnn...1171064&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Closely-Watche...1171104&sr=1-1

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like

Don,
    I must get my films right when quoting.
    its Fellini's Intervista , the scene painters at CineCittą.
    bit of the scene is here
    http://www.perceber.com/archives/200..._birthday.html

The scene painters are slowly brushing in silence . The conversation is:-
    ― Oh, a Ce’…
    ― Che voi?
    ― Vattela a piją ‘nder culo.

and it continues

― A Ce’ ―, fa il primo.
    E l’altro, sbuffando: ― Uuhhhh!
    ― Sai chi t’ho incontrato ieri? Moccoletto. Sai che m’ha detto?
    ― No.
    ― M’ha detto che te la devi anną a piją…
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/