Site Sponsors

Thread: Rat Removal Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Rat Removal Kit

Sigma DP2, click for full-size image.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rat Removal Kit

What happened with the #2?

P.S. I thought for sure this was going to be a picture of a cat!

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You've got some BIG RATS there...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

D upton-Hackett.

Just HateRats.
    Very nice pic though.

Derek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    What happened with the #2?
    Don't know... I had the #8, 24 and 27 at the sushi bar around the corner.

P.S. I thought for sure this was going to be a picture of a cat!
    I try not to be that predictable. My cat photos will using say "Spooks" in the subject line, because that's the fool's name.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    You've got some BIG RATS there...
    That's because Cantonese food is so good.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D upton-Hackett. View Post
    Just HateRats.
    Very nice pic though.
    Derek.
    Thanks, Derek... I don't hate rats, but then we all have our own experiences with them.

Actually, I haven't seen too many rats to hate here. I remember washing dishes in my old flat and looking into the air shaft (nice view), when I saw one climbing up a television cable wire on his way to the roof. That was 19 years ago.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

arrggh...you're selling me on the DP-2. There certainly is something to the image it creates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    arrggh...you're selling me on the DP-2. There certainly is something to the image it creates.
    Well, if you think rat traps are good, wait until you shoot something interesting.

I've had the DP2 for just over three months now and I love it. There certainly is something to the images it creates. If you get a DP2, remember never to judge a photo on the LCD or before SPP has its way with it. It will be like opening a dull brown cardboard box to find a beautiful gift inside. It's always a surprise.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of rat removal, I just saw an article on CNN.com: Botanists discover new rat-eating plant. Who needs Star Trek when we have these sorts of species on our own planet.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    Well, if you think rat traps are good, wait until you shoot something interesting.

I've had the DP2 for just over three months now and I love it. There certainly is something to the images it creates. If you get a DP2, remember never to judge a photo on the LCD or before SPP has its way with it. It will be like opening a dull brown cardboard box to find a beautiful gift inside. It's always a surprise.

Don
    Well, Rat Trap is an old favorite tune of mine, so maybe I'm biased

I'm still pondering the DP2 as "teacher" thing, and not chimping with the LCD but rather waiting to see what "develops" is kinda like the delayed gratification with film.

I just need more money...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Well, Rat Trap is an old favorite tune of mine, so maybe I'm biased
    Funny where our biases originate.

I'm still pondering the DP2 as "teacher" thing, and not chimping with the LCD but rather waiting to see what "develops" is kinda like the delayed gratification with film.
    I do the same thing when I hold the camera at waist level and just shoot scenes "blind." It's like getting a roll of film back from the shop when I open the images onto the computer screen and see them for the first time.

I just need more money...
    I'm very sympathetic to that impulse.

Speaking of money, I just upgraded got the new-generation iPhone 3GS. One of the improvements is an upgrade to the camera from 2 to 3 megapixels. I started my digital photo days with the 3-megapixel Canon G1, so it's just like old times in terms of image size.

Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

At least the food is better and cheaper in HK so buying too much gear doesn't mean eating poorly

I actually played with an Apple QuickTake (and was doing 160x120 Quicktime videos on the web) back in the mid-late 90's so I can appreciate coming full circle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don
    You've summed up my sentiments about DP-1 perfectly. I guess DP-2 processing in SPP has even more gratifications compared to DP-1. Excellent shots by the way, made me question why we do not have a separate place for these remarkable cameras in GetDPI forums. The Foveon sensor is not small, anyway.

Best,

Osman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    You've summed up my sentiments about DP-1 perfectly. I guess DP-2 processing in SPP has even more gratifications compared to DP-1. Excellent shots by the way, made me question why we do not have a separate place for these remarkable cameras in GetDPI forums. The Foveon sensor is not small, anyway.
    Best,
    Osman
    Thanks, Osman... there is an interesting thread about the Kodachrome look of DP2 images noted in the September issue of Popular Photography.

Whatever comparisons are made, however, the Foveon images are certainly a beautiful advance on any of the compact cameras I've used.

Coincidentally, between my last message and this one, I dragged a DP2 image into Photoshop CS4 with ACR 5.4 (out of sheer laziness because CS4 was open). I processed it to a point that looked good to me and then decided to do the same thing with SPP 3.5.

I much prefer the SPP image. There was a thread on DPreview some time ago where people were arguing that they could achieve the same look with ACR... perhaps they can, but they would need a reference image as a guide, plus some time and effort.

I love the simplicity of the SPP and I have the feeling that it is tuned for the Foveon images in a way that other converters aren't.

Anyway, it was a good reminder for me to use only Sigma PhotoPro.

Cheers,
    Don

P.S. And I would be happy with a separate forum for Foveon or DP1/2.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know... I had the #8, 24 and 27 at the sushi bar around the corner.

I try not to be that predictable. My cat photos will using say "Spooks" in the subject line, because that's the fool's name.

Cheers,
    Don

I ADORE Spooks Kitty! DOn you are doing very nice work. ANd "Kodachrome
    ' is exactly the descriptor I would use for much DP1/2 work I see...