The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Powershot G11 and S90

Don Ellis

The DP1 will make the Canon G cameras seem like a D3.

With my Sandisk extreme card, it takes around 7 secs after shooting a pic before the camera will respond to the controls again. Perhaps not an issue for those used to big medium format film cameras but when you are waiting to check the histogram it seems an eternity ;-)
Or you could take my approach... I've never checked a histogram in my life. :D

Don

Don Ellis

I like the S90 though, the lens ring sounds great and I like that they have copied the step zoom from the Ricoh cameras, shame it is designed like a soapbox without any handgrip.
I would be very surprised if Richard Franiec doesn't create a grip for it... that was my first thought when I saw the S90.

Don

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interestingly, the G11 has made a headline in the most important Norwegian newspaper: "Lower resolution, better image quality". Headlines like that may contribute to a complete stop in the megapixel race among compact cameras. Most people don't have a clue about how many megapixels they need, but they do want high image quality. Very interesting development.

I think I will buy a compact again :)

Braeside

Could just be clever marketing. If the street price is a lot lower, then the perceived saving is greater...

Quentin
My decision will be made by comparing the features & actual price of the G11 in the shop against those of other cameras of a similar nature, not the RRP.

I note that most manufacturers have an RRP higher than street price, once the initial early adopters have been gouged.:)

It is however a valid complaint that the UK RRP is almost twice the USA price.:mad:

Ben Rubinstein

£450 preorder at warehouse express. Why give Canon UK the money to gouge you when you can import, pay the VAT, all legal, and pay a fraction of the price?

jonoslack

HI David
£449 is for the S90 sheesh! $429 . . . . erm £258 . . . that's nearly half the price!!
talk about robbed! (looks nice though), oops. supposed to be resting :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HI David
£449 is for the S90 sheesh! $429 . . . . erm £258 . . . that's nearly half the price!!
Who is this man :cool: Does anybody know him :confused:

Mr. Slack, this is a camera forum. You're supposed to get robbed. The trick is to make yourself believe that it's all for the better :lecture:

Quentin_Bargate

£450 preorder at warehouse express. Why give Canon UK the money to gouge you when you can import, pay the VAT, all legal, and pay a fraction of the price?
Exactly - which is the same aproach I have taken to Adobe products where you'd have to be a numpty to pay UK / European prices.

Quentin

jonoslack

Who is this man :cool: Does anybody know him :confused:

Mr. Slack, this is a camera forum. You're supposed to get robbed. The trick is to make yourself believe that it's all for the better :lecture:
First I get lectured

Exactly - which is the same aproach I have taken to Adobe products where you'd have to be a numpty to pay UK / European prices.

Quentin
Then I get told I'm a numpty

Hah!

:angry:

Braeside

HI David
Ah - sorry missed that the thread was also covering the S90 as well. I was so focussed on the G11 I missed that. :eek:

I am always looking for something like my old 35mm compact film Pentax Zoom 70.

10 megapixels with a CCD sensor, hmmmmmm.
I wonder if it has or needs an AA filter, and if it has one, how strong is it?
Seems Canon is paying more attention to IQ than megapixels.
Perhaps feeling the IQ heat from 4/3 and M4/3?

Paul

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah - sorry missed that the thread was also covering the S90 as well. I was so focussed on the G11 I missed that. :eek:

I am always looking for something like my old 35mm compact film Pentax Zoom 70.

You need some very strong binoculars to find something even remotely resembling that one, I'm afraid.

But... it does strikes me that the old Pentax seems to have a real viewfinder that can actually be used for composing photos. Wouldn't it be nice if there was at least one digicam available that had something similar, with, let's say, at least 90% coverage... please?

MHC

Before I purchased my first DSLR D80, I used to take pic with my canon S30 and S70. I'm very satisfied with these 2 compacts' quality except there is soft corner problem.

Last year, I bought another compact which is GRD2. The lens, control, the feel of holding are all perfect. Just I'm not quite satisfied with the pic quality especially when taking people in color. Also for the very poor movie quality. You know, it's quite useful for the movie ability when you're travelling. Anyways, it's enjoyable when using it.

On and off, I start missing my old S70, wondering if there are new models. Now there it is. But the movie mode is just 640x480 and the macro is just 5cm.

Looks like canon's compact can catch up with like panasonic LX3. Or Canon won't like to provide all the good at one time??

BTW, there are limited edition case for both G11 and S90:
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/s90/sp-option.html
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/g11/sp-option.html

Rawfa

The S90 is more and more entrancing.
I Really like the concept
I agree. This could be a nice true pock camera.
I think that digital photography has reached a point where unless there's a real breakthrough sensor wise we won't be seeing any drastic changes in IQ in any future models. Fujifilm and Sigma are on the right path, but they still have to up their games...Fujifilm has to keep working on the great concept that their sensor represents and Sigma has to start checking out the competition and visiting forums to see that their DP series can be much MUCH more (show up with a responsive DP3 with a lens mount and it will probably be the most sold compact ever).

Lili

After having fondled a G10 and a G9 today, I have realized the S90 is far more likely to suit me.
Yessssss My Preciousssssss, yes it does.
Here waiting till it hits the shelves of Amazon!!!