The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Powershot G11 and S90

mark1958

I am curious how it will compare to the Panasonic LX-3/Leica DLUX4. The G11 has a better zoom range but the LX-3 has the faster and wider angle lens with less zoom. The G10 image quality was a bit better at the low isos (perhaps due to the higher resolution) but not so at the higher isos. It will be interesting to see how they compare now that the sensor is 10megapixel (which I applaud).

I really used to hate the fact that the LX-3 did not have a viewfinder but I have gotten more used to it over time.

Lars

Interesting to note: While the S90 has a stop brighter lens on the wide end, the G11 has quite an advantage on the long end where it matters more. f/4.5 at 140 mm likely means close to f/4.0 at 105mm where the S/90 is f.4.9.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting to note: While the S90 has a stop brighter lens on the wide end, the G11 has quite an advantage on the long end where it matters more. f/4.5 at 140 mm likely means close to f/4.0 at 105mm where the S/90 is f.4.9.
Good point.

The G11 reminds me a lot of the Olympus 7070, a camera that I really liked.

neilvan

Had the S90, took it back after a day. The barrel distortion at full wide was way too much considering the cost of this camera. Nice design though, the colour was good and the lens was fairly sharp for what it is...

I ended getting another LX3 for my pocket camera.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Neil, that may have been premature, if I can offer comment: the supplied DPP software corrects that distortion extremely well, as it does for the G11, too. cheers, kl

Last edited:

neilvan

Neil, that may have been premature, if I can offer comment: the supplied DPP corrects that distortion extremely well. cheers, kl
Thanks but it didn't at all for me. The buildings in the photos I had taken still looked like flacid penises. ;) Far beyond anything I have seen in ANY camera I have owned before, it could very well have been a defective camera, who knows...