Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Spooks and Friend

  1. #1
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Spooks and Friend

    I don't pose him... he poses himself. In this case, against the big green frog Leela threw on our 15-year-old Balinese bedspread.

    Sigma DP2, click for nearly full-size image...

    Last edited by Don Ellis; 22nd August 2009 at 02:43.

  2. #2
    D upton-Hackett.
    Guest

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Prrrrrrrfect Snoozzzzztime.

    Cracking shot, did you use flash Don? "second thoughts" that would of woken him up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Quote Originally Posted by D upton-Hackett. View Post
    Prrrrrrrfect Snoozzzzztime.
    Cracking shot, did you use flash Don? "second thoughts" that would of woken him up.
    Thanks for the nice comment... no, no flash. After owning the DP2 for three months, I took one flash photo to see if it worked, then I pushed it back down and it's never been up again.

    If I want a flash, I want a good one... like the 550EX that I use for my G9. I wouldn't mind trying that on the DP2, but after posting a question about the advisability of that, I never got a suitable answer from anyone who's actually tried it.

    I'm not concerned about having to use manual controls and no E-TTL metering, but I've heard that you can cause electrical problems with mismatched flash/camera combinations and I'm not willing to take the chance.

    Cheers,
    Don

  4. #4
    D upton-Hackett.
    Guest

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    heard that you can cause electrical problems with mismatched flash/camera combinations and I'm not willing to take the chance.

    Don a few years back my freind Fried his Minolta just doing that.

    While i remember is the DP2 good in lowlight situations indoors/nightscapes.

    Cheers Derek.

  5. #5
    sphexx
    Guest

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post
    I don't pose him... he poses himself. In this case, against the big green frog Leela threw on our 15-year-old Balinese bedspread.
    [/URL]
    Frog? It looks like it has ears! From what we can see it could be a green Koala. Maybe.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Quote Originally Posted by sphexx View Post
    Frog? It looks like it has ears! From what we can see it could be a green Koala. Maybe.
    You can't see the front... those are his eyes.

    Don

  7. #7
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Can the shutter be totally silent on the DP2? While the sound on the EP1 is ok, I really like hearing nothing. DLux4 is totally silent. One thing that keeps tempting me back to the K7 is the very quiet shutter.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Can the shutter be totally silent on the DP2? While the sound on the EP1 is ok, I really like hearing nothing. DLux4 is totally silent. One thing that keeps tempting me back to the K7 is the very quiet shutter.
    Not totally, but so quiet that you don't even notice it -- nor would people around you pay any attention unless you were all meditating in a sound-proof chamber with perfect acoustics. In fact, I had to go check before I answered, because I was going to say it was totally silent.

    There is a bit of a start-up noise, however... like a sleepy man roused from slumber who mutters a bit about the disturbance... plus a bit of a low grumble each time he has to focus his eyes on something new.

    Don

  9. #9
    Member kalex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Don DP2 should be perfectly safe with 550EX flash. Digital cameras can be used with new flashes because they are low voltage. You had no problems wtih canon G9 and 550EX and you'll have no problems with DP2 and 550EX. You will only be able to use it in Auto or Manual mode since there is no TTL. You would fry you camera if you use old model Vivitar 485(Not sure of exact number) because that flash had a high current going to the hotshoe. Most Nikon speedlights (SB10 and up) and Canon speedlights (not sure what number it starts with) are perfectly safe to use and enjoy.

    I'm currently using Nikon SB-27 speedlight with Epson R-D1 mounted in its hotshoe and it works perfectly fine without any electrical problems

  10. #10
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Don DP2 should be perfectly safe with 550EX flash. Digital cameras can be used with new flashes because they are low voltage. You had no problems wtih canon G9 and 550EX and you'll have no problems with DP2 and 550EX. You will only be able to use it in Auto or Manual mode since there is no TTL. You would fry you camera if you use old model Vivitar 485(Not sure of exact number) because that flash had a high current going to the hotshoe. Most Nikon speedlights (SB10 and up) and Canon speedlights (not sure what number it starts with) are perfectly safe to use and enjoy.

    I'm currently using Nikon SB-27 speedlight with Epson R-D1 mounted in its hotshoe and it works perfectly fine without any electrical problems
    Thanks for your experience. My concern was that Canon specifically says the 550EX can be used with the G9, but I've seen no such official approval about mixing flashes and cameras, specifically these two. That would certainly be great to use the Canon flash... and Auto and Manual mode don't worry me much. Although it might annoy my subjects while I get the lighting right. I'll let you know if I actually do it...

    Cheers,
    Don

  11. #11
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Spooks and Friend

    This one is getting a bit old, but may help someone:

    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •