Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Lunch with the DP2

  1. #1
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lunch with the DP2



    You can't be a considered a real Hong Kong person unless you photograph your food... so here's yesterday's lunch.

    I'm finding the DP2 to be a marvellous camera, often turning ordinary objects into something out of the ordinary. It even has the power to make you think you can photograph food.

    If you have time, click on the image for the nearly full-size image to see what I mean.

    Lunch was served on the terrace, so the lights and darks are shadows from the palm fronds overhead.

    Don

    P.S. I like a lot of pepper.

  2. #2
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    You're in HK and eating that?!?!

    Good gawd man - let me ask my g/f for some restaurant suggestions for you

  3. #3
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    You're in HK and eating that?!?!
    Good gawd man - let me ask my g/f for some restaurant suggestions for you
    What, you think I eat Chinese every meal... I'm an omnivore!

  4. #4
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    That tee'd up a rather blue joke for me but I passed on it.

    Well, actually by mentioning it I didn't really pass on it

    HK is certainly one of the great food cities in the world and you can get nearly anything. But my fav is still probably the local noodle hole-in-the-wall place that is around the corner from nearly everywhere.

    Hawker stalls in Singapore are another amazing phenomenon, though I only know it from pictures and stories from friends. I have to admit that Shanghai had the best food between there, Beijing and Hong Kong but my g/f (who was born and raised in HK) hits me whenever I say that

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    That does look very tasty, and the Sigma/Foveon sensor never stops fascinating me. What does the DP1/2 cost in Hong Kong?

    Re. food in Asia: Of all the places I've been in this part of the world, it's hard to beat Pattaya, although more or less anything else in that city sucks seriously. Any food is available there, the quality is sometimes unbelievable, and it's dirt cheap, at least considering what you get.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That does look very tasty, and the Sigma/Foveon sensor never stops fascinating me. What does the DP1/2 cost in Hong Kong?

    Re. food in Asia: Of all the places I've been in this part of the world, it's hard to beat Pattaya, although more or less anything else in that city sucks seriously. Any food is available there, the quality is sometimes unbelievable, and it's dirt cheap, at least considering what you get.
    Hi Jorgen,

    DP2 is US$770 in Hong Kong (with a Hong Kong-only warranty).

    The greatest food paradise I’ve ever found – a dozen times – is Penang, Malaysia. The first time Leela and I visited her hometown, she recommend the fish curry at a banana-leaf roadside restaurant. I kept stalling, looking over the menu, imagining some brown gravy on white fish. She suggested it again. I kept looking. Finally, she ordered me to have it. So I did… that day and for the next 11 days, switching to prawn curry for our last three days.

    And char koey teow… don’t get me started…



    And dosa and iddli and lamb curry in Little India in downtown Penang. And all so cheap.

    I could go on, but I have to call my travel agent.

    Don

  7. #7
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    A friend of mine lived in Penang for three years. She raved about the food. Vietnam is actually the top of my list for food countries to visit. I am addicted to bun...

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    I agree about Penang, particularly for Indian food, and very cheap as well.

    Go to Vietnam for the coffee (and the cakes), there's nothing like it anywhere. Sitting at one of the many lakes in Hanoi, drinking that thick, dark, sweetish fluid is very near the top of my list of enjoyable things to do.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ellis View Post


    I could go on, but I have to call my travel agent.

    Don
    This looks so delicious! I was hoping to click on it and see a higher resolution image (as with your first image).....which I'm sure I would ALMOST be able to taste and smell.

    Great photos....I'd really like to make another trip to southeast Asia. My only experience was a week in Singapore in the mid-90s and I loved it.

    Gary

    P.S Keep the food photos coming!

  10. #10
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Don, although I heartily share your enthusiasm with food and pepper, the perfectness of the image is what I want to congratulate you about. I'm discovering the potential of DP-1 nowadays, and am amazed by its results. I must admit that you and Wayne have been affecting me with your creative photographs. Could you please compare your impressions of the DP-2 to DP-1 in a few words?
    Do keep posting please.
    Best,
    Osman

  11. #11
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I agree about Penang, particularly for Indian food, and very cheap as well.

    Go to Vietnam for the coffee (and the cakes), there's nothing like it anywhere. Sitting at one of the many lakes in Hanoi, drinking that thick, dark, sweetish fluid is very near the top of my list of enjoyable things to do.
    Ah, you weasel, you...



    Taken with a Canon Pro 1.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Don, although I heartily share your enthusiasm with food and pepper, the perfectness of the image is what I want to congratulate you about. I'm discovering the potential of DP-1 nowadays, and am amazed by its results. I must admit that you and Wayne have been affecting me with your creative photographs.
    And I must admit to taking some pretty mundane shots (my unmade bed comes to mind), simply because they are transformed when shot with the DP2 and processed in SPP. It's always a surprise and a pleasure to photograph something boring and see it in a new way. Thank you for the very nice compliment.

    Could you please compare your impressions of the DP-2 to DP-1 in a few words?
    I don't have a DP1. (Is that few enough. )

    Do keep posting please.
    Best,
    Osman
    Thank you... this is a very friendly board, so I certainly will.

    Cheers,
    Don

  13. #13
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    This looks so delicious! I was hoping to click on it and see a higher resolution image (as with your first image).....which I'm sure I would ALMOST be able to taste and smell.
    After a steady diet of caribou and whale blubber, anything different is going to look good to you.

    Ok, so much for stereotypes... I'm sorry I couldn't provide you a bigger meal... I just grabbed that off my galleries and would have to look on some hard disk somewhere to find the original and process it full size. Char Koey Teow is one of those dishes that costs about US$1.25 on the roadside (the last time I had it) that is brilliant.

    Great photos....I'd really like to make another trip to southeast Asia. My only experience was a week in Singapore in the mid-90s and I loved it.
    Singapore is a nice first stop... it has all the amenities and is CLEAN... some people say too clean. But it makes a great transition between West and East. I hope you get a chance to come again... barring any incredible interventions, it's where I'll be for the rest of my life, and I enjoy it all: Bali, Bhutan, Malaysia, Japan, India, Nepal, Vietnam, and Hong Kong, of course... and there are so many other Asian countries I still would like to see.

    One of life's little frustrations is that we cannot travel everywhere we want and live there for a time... so you just do the best you can.

    P.S Keep the food photos coming!
    No one's ever asked me to do that... but now that I have permission...

    Cheers,
    Don

  14. #14
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Don,

    Being primarily a vegetarian, your food pictures haven't affected my appetite at all. However, you are making me think about blowing the dust off my DP2 and shooting something with it! I suppose I'll have to charge up the batteries too. Hmm, starting to sound like too much work.

    Bill

  15. #15
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Bill, so nice to hear from you at last! You may not know this, but you're one of the few people who -indirectly, of course- induced me to try -and fall in love with- the DP-1. I miss your posts.
    Regards,
    Osman

  16. #16
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Bill, so nice to hear from you at last! You may not know this, but you're one of the few people who -indirectly, of course- induced me to try -and fall in love with- the DP-1. I miss your posts.
    Regards,
    Osman
    Osman,

    That is very kind of you to say. I'm glad I was able to lead you in the right direction! Maybe I should ask Sigma to put me on their payroll.

    Bill

  17. #17
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Osman,

    That is very kind of you to say. I'm glad I was able to lead you in the right direction! Maybe I should ask Sigma to put me on their payroll.

    Bill
    I'll be happy to give you a reference... least I could do for all the questions you answered for me before I bought my DP2, which is my favourite camera. It's in England with me now.

    Leela and I are vegetarian at home, and she everywhere, but I occasionally eat free-range ocean animals when I'm outside the the house. I'll have to take a photo of a paper masala dosa next time we go to our favourite South Indian vegetarian restaurant. It should surprise you, unless you're familiar with them.

    How nice is it to hear from you? Well, I'm typing this on my iPhone. Take care, take a photo.

    Don

  18. #18
    Senior Member Don Ellis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lunch with the DP2

    Interesting (and annoying) that in Edit mode on the iPhone, you can't scroll the Edit box far enough down to reach the redundant "the the house" -- oh, well, it's not the most illiterate I've ever appeared.

    Don

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •