The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Autism

W

wbrandsma

My son has autism. A fact of life for him, me and my family. Most of his symptoms deal with social interaction, restrictions in understanding communication (in particular non verbal communication), theory of mind, and very distinctive interests (like dinosaurs, trains and Lego).

One particular symptom is his difficulty in prioritizing and picking up details. What he considers important will often not be of any significance to us. That can cause anxiety, fear, panic, enjoyment, and pleasure. His own world! A complex world hard to comprehend for us.

These photographs are my interpretation of this complexity, dealing with too many information.

otumay

Wouter your explanations and photographs opened a new perspective for me, I'm indebted to you. Thank you for sharing.
Osman

Terry

Wouter, what a thoughtful and heartfelt set. I'm wondering if your son has the capability of taking pictures? or have you ever given him a camera to use?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wouter, I have spent some time this summer with the autistic young son of a cousin. I understand what you are portraying. Your series is very beautiful and loving. It is wonderful that you can use your art to educate us.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you all. It means a lot to me. Terry, he has an older digicam and at times has been able to take pretty respectful photographs (these were partly my inspiration too). But he doesn't always want to do it. He is eight now and the tunnel vision of camera somehow makes him more conscious of his own limitations.

smokysun

"What he considers important will often not be of any significance to us. That can cause anxiety, fear, panic, enjoyment, and pleasure. His own world! A complex world hard to comprehend for us."

i wonder if that isn't the very nature of childhood? we have to learn to see the world in a common way in order to be accepted by the tribe which protects us. in the process we lose (forget, don't notice) our own individual vision cause it's actually terrifying to feel we're different from everyone else. yet that is actually the case and it's part of the artistic enterprise to recover it. no wonder art ultimately proves difficult as a way of life. most of the time we must live in cliches.

profound and moving, wouter. thanks.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Diane B

Thank you for sharing this. The one that touched me the most was of the dog's ears--it perhaps gave me more insight into other's 'seeing' than I would have expected, but the whole set is wonderful.

Diane

N

nei1

Wouter,I seem to see these in pairs,one helping to explain the other,1&2,3&4 etc.Beautiful set both in intent and execution,thanks.........Neil.

W

wbrandsma

I felt exhausted today after posting these photographs. I have been taking these photographs in my mind for so long. It wanted it to come out, but didn't feel a lot of relief though. Reading your comments and appreciation gives me a much needed boost. So maybe Cindy these photographs serve no real educational purpose (although that wouldn't mind since 1 out 100 kids nowadays are diagnosed with autism, PDD-NOS or syndrome of Asperger), but rather my personal expression of my fears.

We all have expectations when our kids grow older. Family life, happiness, job, etc. We help them and someday we hope they will help us when we get older. My life will be meaningful when he is happy in his sort of way. While so, I try to learn his state of happiness. Thank you all.

Lili

Wouter, thank you for sharing with us. This photo essay and its theme are powerful.

T

tetsrfun

An amazing series...I agree with Diane, the Dog's Ears conveys "something" of information processing that the non-Autistic can only have a "glimpse" at understanding.
Really well done!!!

Steve

Don Ellis

Wouter, you've done a truly marvellous job here... and a great service to many of us who appreciate the insight into another world. Like Diane, I was most touched by the dog's ears. Thank you for the photos and the personal story.

On a technical note, I think we can all quit worrying about noise now. :)

Don

sizifo

What wonderful photos Wouter. Your charge and understanding is felt even without knowing the background. Hope you get some more exposure, it'd be a pity, since some of your photos deserve better than transient life of internet forums. I'll keep these marked, and try order some prints from you (as soon as I'm no longer "between jobs" :) ).