The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CZ Lens noise

LoSenior

I've noticed that I feel a slight vibration when I'm walking with my CZ 24-70 attached to the camera. I tried shaking the camera and I can see the lens move at the barrel without the lens being extended. I can hear as well as see the lens move. I picked up my CZ 85 and shook it and noticed a slight sound and a very small amount of movement.
Is the common for the CZ Lenses or do I have something that I should be concerned about? I find it hard to believe that both of my CZ lenses could be defective,but I wouldn't think that that should have any movement in them.
Thanks, Jerry

edwardkaraa

I think what you're describing is quite common. Both my 24-70 and 16-35 have a slight amount of wobbling if I shake them. I believe this is due to the SSM mechanism, nothing to worry about. The sound in the 85 is due to the screw mechanism, also quite normal.

As long as the lens zooms and focuses smoothly, there is no need for concern in my opinion.

Most problems I heard of from the ZA lenses are of screaking zoom mechanism that will fail after a while.

LoSenior

Ed,

Thanks, it's nice to know that things are normal.
I contacted Sony Customer Service and was told to send it in after about 20 minutes discussing what was going on.
Again, Thanks for the help from someone that is very familiar with the camera and CZ Lenses.
Regards, Jerry

edwardkaraa

You're most welcome Jerry :)

It's amazing that Sony's own CS do not understand the product yet. I think they really do need to have a specialized DSLR service. The guys you talked to probably answer anything from Walkmans and Playstations to Home Theaters.

dhsimmonds

I confirm Edward's diagnosis of the symptoms. It is very disconcerting at first but absolutely nothing to worry about. I think that it is a combination of SSM and the anti-shake characteristic's.