The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon lenses on Sony A850/A900?

mrtoml

I am about to join the Sony clan. I hope it is OK to ask some basic questions.

I am hovering between an A850 and A900. I also have a lot of manual focus Nikon lenses. Is it wise to get an adapter to mount these lenses on the Sony?

Also can anyone tell me the advantages of the A850 over the A900. They are about the same price in the UK at the moment, but the A900 seems better in some respects (eg fps).

If you were going to get one lens to start with what would it be (in the 28-90mm sort of range - zoom or prime - I am thinking of a 35mm or 50mm, but open to suggestions)?

Are the older Minolta AF lenses worth buying given the high resolution of the Sony sensor or do you need more modern lenses to get the best out of it?

I really know very little about this system, but am hearing such good things about it. I have been using mainly film for the past couple of years, but have had a Nikon D100 and Canon 5D in the past. I am currently using a Panasonic G1 which is nice, but I would like bigger files sometimes. The Sonys look like great value in this regard.

Thanks,
Mark

J

Jamesmd

Hi , welcome .

I have 2 minolta af, and I'm really happy with them , great performance , only perhaps a little slow , but excellent if you get good copies .

I have 35-70 AF and 28-135 AF

cheers

James

edwardkaraa

Hi Mark,

For the same price, you should buy the A900 as the A850 is exactly the same with just a smaller viewfinder and less fps.

As for lenses, I would suggest you get the 24-70, which is becoming a classic. Perhaps add a 50/1.4 for occasions when you need a lighter package. Sony is slowly introducing new glass to complete the line, so I would hold off on buying used Minolta glass, not that it is no good, but why take the risk of buying old used stuff when you can get more modern designs with warranty?

mrtoml

Thanks a lot. Useful advice. I think I will go for the A900 the way things are at present.

I will check out those lenses you guys mentioned.

M

madcat207

I am about to join the Sony clan. I hope it is OK to ask some basic questions.

I am hovering between an A850 and A900. I also have a lot of manual focus Nikon lenses. Is it wise to get an adapter to mount these lenses on the Sony?
Sure, no harm in getting an adapter. One thing to note, is that "unchipped" lenses (lenses or adapters with no electrical contacts) you will not get focus confirmation or anti-shake. It is a silly limitation, but it is what it is. However, if you do get an adapter without a chip, you can buy one here:
http://eadpt.cn.webz.datasir.com/eadpen.htm

Also, if you plan on doing alot of MF, you may want to pick up an "M screen" for focusing.

Also can anyone tell me the advantages of the A850 over the A900. They are about the same price in the UK at the moment, but the A900 seems better in some respects (eg fps).
The A850 has no advantages at all over the A900, other than the fact that it is supposed to be cheaper. The A900 has a better build, higher framerate, and slightly better VF.

If you were going to get one lens to start with what would it be (in the 28-90mm sort of range - zoom or prime - I am thinking of a 35mm or 50mm, but open to suggestions)?
On a budget, you might start with the Sony 50mm f/1.4; if you want wider the Sony 35mm f/1.4 is nice (but expensive). There are also some nicer longer primes from Carl Zeiss, in 85mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/1.8.
Personally though, if it was one lens (and I could afford it), It would be the Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8.

Are the older Minolta AF lenses worth buying given the high resolution of the Sony sensor or do you need more modern lenses to get the best out of it?
The early Minolta AF lenses are one of our best kept secrets. :thumbup: There are 24 years of amazing glass out there, all of which works great with the camera system. Take a peek through the minolta lens database to see how much is out there:
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

I really know very little about this system, but am hearing such good things about it. I have been using mainly film for the past couple of years, but have had a Nikon D100 and Canon 5D in the past. I am currently using a Panasonic G1 which is nice, but I would like bigger files sometimes. The Sonys look like great value in this regard.

Thanks,
Mark
The A900/A850 is an amazing system, and one you would not regret. The colors produced especially will blow you away.

Mark, you don't mention budget, what you expect from the camera, what kind of shooting you do, etc. so I may be able to offer better suggestions if you provide that info.

If you have the budget for it I hear nothing but good about the CZ 24-70(weight concerns aside).

If you want a budget zoom, the Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5 is a great piece of glass, though you have to watch flare and CA(the latter is generally fixable in PP). Try before you buy to make sure you get a sharp copy, they can be found for ~$300. Take a look in the Dyxum "for sale" section; I saw one there a few days ago. The Minolta 50 1.4 is a very good place to start your fast prime collection. The 85 1.4 and Minolta 100 2.8 are incredible lenses in their own right the 100 pushing the "affordability" envelope for some and the 85... let's just say I'm glad I bought mine new for $500 many, many years ago. :D The 100, being a macro, is one of the sharpest primes you'll lay hands on.

One issue with adapters for MF lenses(not sure if a Nikon variant exists) is that they usually have an extra element to allow for infinity focus. I cut that out of my adapter and opened up the throat on a lathe for bellows use. I have heard that the "James Lao" adapters(see madcat's link) use a very good extra element.

When using such adapters you will find yourself in manual metering mode, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Using ISO 800 or higher will IMHO bring out the bad side of the Sony and Adobe RAW converters. DxO seems very promising from all that I've read, but I have not tried it yet. I'm waiting to get to the point where I have more free time before I start a trial period with that. There are some ongoing discussions in the image processing forum here that may interest you.

douglasf13

Mark, it really depends on your needs in regards to cost and weight. I love the ZA 24-70, but I've found myself using it less and less, simply because I like keeping a small lens on the camera when I'm on the go. My two most used lenses are the Sony 50 1.4 and the ZA 85 1.4. You may want to look into the Minolta 35 f2. Great lens, if you can find one. The Sony 35G is also great, although it's not so much razor sharp, but rather it renders beautifully. Go to dyxum.com and you can read about all of these.

BackToSlr

Sure, no harm in getting an adapter. One thing to note, is that "unchipped" lenses (lenses or adapters with no electrical contacts) you will not get focus confirmation or anti-shake. It is a silly limitation, but it is what it is. However, if you do get an adapter without a chip, you can buy one here:
http://eadpt.cn.webz.datasir.com/eadpen.htm
Just a minor correction, You DO get anti-shake but the system focal length defaults to 50mm (so if your manual lens is 50 mm or thereabouts) it will have anti-shake. If it is a different focal length, then anti-shake will be sub-optimal (still there and not as effective as when it has the accurate focal length). Chipped adaptor is recommended if you can have one. Check Chipped Adaptor Discussion on dyxum for more clarifications on the chipped adaptor recommended by MadCat.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

N

M

madcat207

Back - there are chips listed there that can hold 4 different (and switchable) lens settings, and you can ask the chip to be programmed for something else. What you said is correct, but you do have some customization options.

BackToSlr

Back - there are chips listed there that can hold 4 different (and switchable) lens settings, and you can ask the chip to be programmed for something else. What you said is correct, but you do have some customization options.
Yes madcat i should have specified, i was commenting only for unchipped adaptors.

N

gogopix

Subscriber
i suppose i could start another thread, but, at the risk of seeming to 'hijeck' can I ask what people know about Leica R lenses on the sony
Having body stabilization seems great, but only if chip sets the FL. leitax.com has mounts to change, and they can get chips
any experience? Seems should be similar to Nikon and M42
I know there are Leica R to M42 mounts but isnt Sony registration too close to Leica and M42? Don't you need to change the mount?

regards
Victor

douglasf13

m42 lenses are easily useable on the A900 via adapter. Leica and Contax require a mount change, which leitax has reversible options for. Sony camera stabilization works without a chip, but not as well as when optmized with a chip that indicates focal length.

mrtoml

Thanks for all your replies. Really useful.

I am thinking of this as a replacement for my Mamiya 7ii. It seems to me that a camera with this resolution will satisfy me enough if I get good lenses and with the A900 at this price I am prepared to hang up the Mamiya. I probably can get around £2000 for the Mamiya and the 3 lenses I have (65, 80 and 150). I am also selling a Leica so I could have £2500+ to spend plus what I add myself.

I like primes so I am thinking of a 28 or 35, 50mm, and something like an 85mm for portraits. I shoot landscapes, still life and portraits mostly. A zoom would be nice when walking around, but I have just found an old (20 years?) Minolta 35-70mm f4 in a cupboard from the days when I had a Minolta film camera. This would presumably do for the time being. It looks like using my old Nikons may not be such a great idea.

dhsimmonds

Good choice for digital, you will love the natural colours straight off the A900.

Quite understand your preference for primes but if it's landscapes you might also want to consider the 16-35 F2.8 Zeiss, as it is stellar in my view. Look forward to seeing some images with whatever lenses you decide to use.

Mark K

Just got my A850. But if I was allowed to choose again, A900 is better in terms of fps and finish.
I have many more lenses to choose from however, I still prefer having a brand new CZ 24-70. My wrist really hurts and for that reason, I may simply attach a 50/1.4
As for Nikon lenses, the only manual one is a 24/2.0 and I wonder if it performs better on a D700 body

mrtoml

I am waiting to see how much I get for the other gear, but these primes seem pretty fine from what I've read.

I think the 24-70cz may be a future purchase. Also there is the new and cheaper 28-75 bundled with the A850. Has anyone got one yet?

mrtoml

It has arrived...

The battery is charging, but my 50mm and 28mm lenses are not here due to a postal strike.

Here it is with the old Minolta 35-70mm f4.