The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro lenses for A900

P

Paolo7780

The 200 f4 APO G is for sure the best Macro ever built for A Mount, stunning... For both quality and price :shocked:

This is a comparative test on A900 (courtesy of Rokkor from Minoltasonyclub.it)

Center @f4

Corner @f4

As said in the other post about Zeiss lenses hope that Sony will resume this 200mm f4 project...

V

vyanush

Thanks. I'll try and find that thread.
Why not to try Sigma EX 150/2.8 DG Macro? I like it very much on Canon 5D2
though it has HSM AF that is in question for A-mount. IQ is very good and bokeh is pleasing&smooth

And BTW on A900 i use ZA 135 over TAMRON 90 Macro most of time unless i want to frame 1:2 or tighter

mrtoml

I find 150mm too long for portraits. I prefer something around 100mm. Although reading about the sharpness of the Sigma 70mm has got me thinking about that as well.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The Sigma 2.8/150 APO Macro EX DG would also have been my obvious suggestion, but unfortunately I don't think it comes in Alpha mount. Or am I wrong here ?
It has a very good reputation.

dhsimmonds

Hi Bondo

The 150/F2.8 macro Sigma is not available in Sony mount....I just don't know why! However the 180/ F3.5 Ex DG lens is available in the A mount and there are some good reviews over at the Dyxxum site:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=206

The extra focal length would help with any nervous critters but at the cost of a slightly slower lens.

V

vyanush

Ooopps, sorry for misleading to EX 150, really forgot its lack of A-mount. Hope it is just question to adopt HSM to Sony SSM-standard.
Rgd EX 70 i looked at it but finally fond too much protruding to my taste. IMHO it is a deal-breaker for insects and even for flowers/small nature sometime. So my strong preference go to "fixed-focus" design like EF-S 60 Macro, EF 100 Macro USM and EX 150/180s. My exception to Mamiya 120/4 Macro though for great IQ as stressed by Quentin.

V

vyanush

Oooppps! Sorry for misleading rgd EX 150 and hope it will come in A-mount ASAP when SIgma adopt it to Sony SSM standard.
Rgd EX 70 it shows impressive IQ but looked too much "protruding" to my taste. It's a show-stoper for insects and even for flowers/small nature sometime. "Fix-focus" design of EF-S 60, EF 100 USM and Sigma EX 150&180 is more appealing IMHO. My only exception is Mamiya 120/4 Macro, fully second Quentin rgd its IQ excellence.
As for portraits, again my small preference to ZA 135 over 85 due to MDF advantage and ability to frame very tight when needed. Also ZA prortuding and slow focusing sometime anoying IMHO. To my eye ZA 135 is slightly crisper&better corrected WO