The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss lens

ecsh

Looking around for a real good macro lens, and i stumble across a thread for the CZ Makro-Planer 2/100. The images look like they are 3-D. Very very sharp, and the colors look great. Ok, go to CZ site, and there they are, but, no Sony mount. Nikon, Canon, Pentax only. Is there something in the agreement with CZ and Sony saying that they will not make any manual focus lens in Sony mount?:mad:

BackToSlr

Looking around for a real good macro lens, and i stumble across a thread for the CZ Makro-Planer 2/100. The images look like they are 3-D. Very very sharp, and the colors look great. Ok, go to CZ site, and there they are, but, no Sony mount. Nikon, Canon, Pentax only. Is there something in the agreement with CZ and Sony saying that they will not make any manual focus lens in Sony mount?:mad:
It looks like that.

You could get one in m42 mount, use a chipped adapter if you really must have one :)

N

surfotog

None of the manual focus Zeiss lenses will be available in Sony mount, according to the Zeiss USA rep. Sadly, the 100/2 is not available in m42, nor will it be in the future. Whatever Zeiss manual focus lenses are available in m42, that's all there's ever going to be. Zeiss has no plans to expand the ZS series, again this is according to the Zeiss USA rep.

edwardkaraa

No worries, we will eventually get a far better design probably with 1:1 reproduction ratio. Sony has booked most exclusive newest designs from Zeiss for their ZA line, which leaves Zeiss with older more traditional designs for the ZF/ZE manual focus line.

ecsh

So, when speaking of lens and Sony, its hurry up and wait. Perhaps i can get the Nikon to Sony adapter, and put the lens on this. I wonder how much that would screw up the lens as far as focusing would go?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Yay, Edward, that sounds really great :thumbup:
Please tell us more with sources and everything ...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nikon to Sony adapter ( any adapter for that matter exc. MF ) will necessitate an additional glass element in the adapter to focus to infinity. Good news is that if you use the 100 Macro only for macro you can eliminate the glass. Otherwise your $79 adapter has turned your Zeiss into something less than a Tokina.

That precludes all of the other manual focus non-macro Zeiss lenses at this time. I would hate to make any decision on a camera based on what the Sony reps promise down the line...Zeiss is not the fastest moving company on the planet.

Sony has a great sensor and innovative designs but is a little behind on a few lenses.

Bob

ecsh

It would be only for macro, so manual focusing is the order of the day anyway. There are a couple of adapters that advertise the additional glass element. The other thing is i still have a D200, and could always use it on that without the adapter, but the 900 is crying for a lens of this quality.

douglasf13

It would be only for macro, so manual focusing is the order of the day anyway. There are a couple of adapters that advertise the additional glass element. The other thing is i still have a D200, and could always use it on that without the adapter, but the 900 is crying for a lens of this quality.
I would say that, since you are only shooting macro with it, you could just get the Nikon to Sony adapter and pop out the glass element. Or, you could always go with this lens, and do a Leitax conversion.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=CX060090388300&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=12&BC=CX&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hmm, then there is the Leica 2.8/100 APO Macro Elmarit R with Leitax mount ... ?
Probably the best 35mm format macro lens there is, but it would be stop down metering and I have a hard time seeing stop down metering work for accurate macro shooting.
Stopping down to f/5.6 - f/11 in order to gain some Depth Of Field would mean shaking the setup and loosing accurate focus, even on a tripod.
It's so frustrating that after all these years of new digital SLR developments there is still no system combining a good affordable DSLR with a full range of "magic mojo" high end auto stop down and autofocus optics :(
I had high hopes for a Leica R10 until the R line was discontinued as a DSLR system. Now Sony Alpha with ZA lenses seems to be as close as we get.
But the ZA line is still far from being a full range of lenses. And, even worse, personally I still have some doubt left about how much Zeiss they really are with regards to build quality, 3D contrast etc ...
Please Zeiss, why don't you give us a new Contax DSLR system with a full range of genuine autofocus Zeiss lenses ... :confused:
In my opinion that is the biggest mystery in the entire photo industri ...

Last edited:

ecsh

I will have to spend more time thinking about this one. I had the Nikon 200mm f4 when i had my D700, and that was great. I sold the Sony 100, since it was not even as good as the 105VR i had.

surfotog

Might want to give the Sigma 70/2.8 macro a try. I believe one of the contributors here has one and likes it. Under $500, and reputed to be very sharp. Should hold you over until Sony/Zeiss bring out a ZA macro that will probably run $1500- $2000.

edwardkaraa

Bondo, Sony ZA lenses are more Zeiss that any other Zeiss line. Not only they are manufactured by a more capable factory than the current Zeiss lines, but also they use the most recent and most exclusive Zeiss designs. The 85 and 135 are completely new designs that surpass by far any previous Zeiss lenses of the same focal length. The 24-70 and 16-35 do not have any equivalents in previous Zeiss lines, except the 24-85 and the 17-35 Contax N, which are great lenses by the many accounts of users on Canon bodies, but the ZA are even better.

edwardkaraa

I would say that, since you are only shooting macro with it, you could just get the Nikon to Sony adapter and pop out the glass element. Or, you could always go with this lens, and do a Leitax conversion.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=CX060090388300&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=12&BC=CX&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

I can vouch for the 100 Makro-Planar as the best macro lens I have used. I have shot table top and macro for years with this gem and the difference was day and night between the MP and my previous Canon macros (100 and 50).

A

apras

maybe the minolta macro 200 f/4 G? haven't use it, but a friend has it, and the image quality is stunning.

P

Paolo7780

The 200 f4 APO G is stunning... The price too :shocked:
I've used it a bit... Wow...

This is a comparative test on A900 (courtesy of Rokkor from Minoltasonyclub.it)

Center @f4

Corner @f4

I'm sure that 100 f2 Makro Planar is brilliant, but I hope that Sony will resume this 200mm f4 project...