The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CZ24-70 mm lost infinity focus.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My Zeiss 24-70 has performed flawlessly until a week ago, when it suddenly decided not to focus at infinity - AF or MF.

The index mark turns to the infinity mark, but the far-off images are very blurred - although closer subjects are rendered sharp. I guess that somehow the lens elements have shifted inside the barrel.

Focusing on subjects close by, say 1-10 metres, is fine. And infinity is fine if one stops down to f16. It's as if the lens just cannot retract enough to reach infinity.

The lens is under warranty and is on its way back to Sony, but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem with this or any other lens.

Incidentally, all my other lenses are working perfectly, so it's not the camera.

Bill

edwardkaraa

Sorry to hear about that, Bill. Please do let us know the outcome.

It seems to me that the metal/plastic combination used inside this lens is the cause of the majority of problems we hear about. This is the first time I read about focusing to infinity problem, but more common complaints do also involve the zoom and focusing mechanisms. I wish Sony would have opted for a full metal lens.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Sorry to hear about that, Bill. Please do let us know the outcome.

It seems to me that the metal/plastic combination used inside this lens is the cause of the majority of problems we hear about. This is the first time I read about focusing to infinity problem, but more common complaints do also involve the zoom and focusing mechanisms. I wish Sony would have opted for a full metal lens.
The repaired lens finally made it back to me yesterday - exactly one month after I sent it to Sony Canada.

The work order states "Farmout to Japan" where they "Replaced Optic Assy, Check for Spec and adjusted tested OK".

Needless to say, the first thing I did was to re-test and I must say the problem has been cured perfectly. In fact it might even be a tad better at 70 mm at full aperture. (It was always very impressive at 24 to 50 mm.)

So - bad news, it shouldn't have gone wrong and it took a month to fix it. Good news, it was repaired well and may be a bit better than before at the long end.

Meantime, I've been using the 135/1.8 and continue to be extremely pleased with it!

Bill

fotografz

Wow! I sent my 24-70 in to the shop in the US last year, and it only took a week.
Probably because Bill's had to back to Japan for a total re-build. Sometimes availability of parts can also slow things down.

I sent a Nikon 24-70 that needed a rebuild due to being damaged by a wedding guest, and after almost a month, Nikon service just replaced the whole lens because the part needed still wasn't available and wasn't on the horizon either.

-Marc