The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wedding camera?

peterb

Would the A850 with the Zeiss 24-70 and the 70-200 f2.8 (or possibly the 85mm f1.4 or the 135mm 1.8) make a good basic wedding kit?

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

A

apras

it would be a VERY good basic wedding kit. just remember to use only the center AF area, because the other is not as sensitive. the center af sensor is superb.

fotografz

Would the A850 with the Zeiss 24-70 and the 70-200 f2.8 (or possibly the 85mm f1.4 or the 135mm 1.8) make a good basic wedding kit?

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Yes.

But "basically" you'll need a second Sony camera and second flash as back-up in case something fails at the wedding.

I'd suggest the ZA 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8G APO to start ... then add the two other Zeiss lenses as you can ... followed by the ZA 16-35/2.8 later, and you'll be done.

All with done with a Sony A900 ...

E

elaineeve

Hey all,

I'm relatively new here, although I've been "stalking" for some time. Hope I'm not hijacking the post, but was wondering how the a900/a850 fair in low light. I have the a700 and I'm having alot of trouble getting any pics in focus in the church in low light. I'm either jumping ship, (although I love my Sony and the Zeiss lens line up) or I'm upgrading to a900. Just thoughts on the Sony for weddings and low light would be greatly appreciated.

fotografz

Hey all,

I'm relatively new here, although I've been "stalking" for some time. Hope I'm not hijacking the post, but was wondering how the a900/a850 fair in low light. I have the a700 and I'm having alot of trouble getting any pics in focus in the church in low light. I'm either jumping ship, (although I love my Sony and the Zeiss lens line up) or I'm upgrading to a900. Just thoughts on the Sony for weddings and low light would be greatly appreciated.
Haven't noted any extraordinary issues with A900 low light focusing. It's a tad slower than my D3X but quite accurate. Rarely miss a image due to focus issues. I have noted a bit more difficulty in really low reception lighting when using the 135/1.8 ... those are some huge lens elements being moved back and forth ... but it's not as bad as the Canon 85/1.2 MKII I once used before coming to favor Sony. Plus, at 135mm I'm usually out of range for the focus assist light.

My second shooter uses my second A900 body on a tripod with the Sony 70-200/2.8 G APO from the church balcony ... strictly available light ... and she nails focus every time. That lens is as fast as my Canon or Nikon 70-200s were.

Can't speak to the differences between the A700 and A900 AF abilities ... never shot with a A700.

I'm using local single focus points which I manually move around as needed. If you are letting the camera select the focus point that may be the issue. I once accidently moved the selection to multipoint, and for the life of me couldn't grasp what happened as I started missing one shot after another.

Marc

Edit:

Here's an action shot in a really dark reception hall during the general dancing .. A900 @ ISO 640 with flash ... Zeiss 24-70/2.8 @ 24/4 ... never have any issue with this lens in any light ... it nails it just as fast as my Nikon with 24-70/2.8 does.

Last edited:

fotografz

Got it!
Last one's from The Sopranos prequel, isn't it?

:rolleyes:
Don't know which is the "last one" on your screen. One of the shots is closer to your "Soprano's" comment than you may care to know :eek: I was VERY careful who I aimed my camera toward at that wedding :cool:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Don't know which is the "last one" on your screen. One of the shots is closer to your "Soprano's" comment than you may care to know :eek: I was VERY careful who I aimed my camera toward at that wedding :cool:
Hi Marc,
i meant this one...

[edit]

both the general posture from behind and the reflection are scaringly close to this JG fellow... :eek:

Re your answer, you mean that that time "the uncle who knows-it-all" about photography -and other things- was not the kind you would readily disagree with ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fotografz

Hi Marc,
i meant this one...

both the general posture from behind and the reflection are scaringly close to this JG fellow... :eek:

Re your answer, you mean that that time "the uncle who knows-it-all" about photography -and other things- was not the kind you would readily disagree with ? :rolleyes:
The subjects in that shot you posted are fairly conservative East Coast WASP types.

No, it wasn't the "uncle that knows all about cameras" ... it was the guys with guns that I kept my eye on. Here's a tight crop from one of the formal shots (cropped so no one can identify anyone) ... :shocked:

Ya meet all kinds when shooting weddings.

-Marc

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
You bet.

Marc, i've edited my post erasing the photo -it was just for illustrating the comment at the time.
Your last posted shot is genuinely scaring this time. Proximity with the child's head...