Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony The One and Only.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony The One and Only.

Dear Sony lovers,

Early this year I mentioned that if forced to choose between my Sony system and Nikon system to make my living with, it would be the Nikon.

I am here to eat my words.

After a full wedding season the Sony has proved itself under the most trying of conditions.

This is the best DSLR system I have ever used ... and I've used just about all of them.

The color right out of the camera is unmatched ... no matter how much I tweaked my processing routines, the Sony was always the best going in ... therefore the easiest to get a job done.

Once I figured out how to get great B&Ws it was smooth sailing from then onward.

Even my clients have been remarking on how "realistic" the images are, and how beautiful the colors are.

The proof is in actions not words.

Last week I sold all of my Nikon digital gear.

I await Sony's next step ... and hopefully even more lens choices from Carl Zeiss.

Sony The One and Only.

Who would have thunk it just a couple of years ago.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony The One and Only.

Wow - I was wondering what was up....at first I thought you were going to go to the D3s but you sold all the lenses and I figured it was M9 all the way.

Care to share your thoughts on how to get the most out of B&W in Lightroom ? Did you make yourself a bunch of presets?
    Last edited by Terry; 17th November 2009 at 17:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear Marc, since I might be doing some considerable amount of HD Filming for Sony soon, (Sony Style actually)so possibly will have to start also shooting Photography work with their A900 and Zeiss lenses, any good inputs on it much appreciated.

Already sold the 1Ds III but just don't want to sale my last 1D III body before I give the A900 a good trial.

One concern for me is also Wireless triggering for High Speed Sync Flash Photography, haven't found anything that works well with Sony yet, using the TT1 & TT5 combination on Canon's 580EX II's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its good for this forum to have a pro like yourself using this camera exclusively. I'm also interested in your B&W technique.
    Mike

website under construction

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Food for thought, but not unexpected.
    While Nikon for me is the ideal "potato" (can be used for anything), Sony is very tempting from a pure image quality point of view.

Shelby Lewis

I told you so Marc, lol.

(i can't wait to get back into the sony system)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually doing B&W was easy once I realized it was the A900s flatter mid-tone response I was struggling with.

Nothing earth shattering. Now I just use the tone curve sliders in LR2 & LR3 and do it by eye. I sometimes also use the strong contrast point curve with the sliders. Non of the presets worked for me ... they were to generic and didn't provide the fine control needed to get the brights right in relation to the darks. This camera has a pretty remarkable tonal spread which needs to be punched up to work in B&W.

I wonder if the new flash mentioned in rumors will have a flash sync port? Although it's sort of a moot point for me since using Pocket Wizards isn't TTL anyway ... and any flash will do. Since I already had PW triggered SB900s powered by Quantum Turbo Cs and all the cords ... I just use that kit with the Sony.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    I told you so Marc, lol.

(i can't wait to get back into the sony system)
    Yep, you were right.

But you know ... ya gotta test the crap out of these tools and learn them inside and out before trusting someone's once in a lifetime photos to them.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc,

I passed your comments along to a friend of mine who has been thinking about the Sony A900 and a few Zeiss lenses. Your experience counts for alot around here....thanks!

Gary

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yep, you were right.

But you know ... ya gotta test the crap out of these tools and learn them inside and out before trusting someone's once in a lifetime photos to them.

-Marc
    Totally

What's been wild for me is to shoot with every other 35mm (save leica) and still have trouble getting good stuff sooc. I've finally gotten where I like the output of the 5dmkII, but the one things I bitched about with the sony (continuous AF) has been replaced by a similar problem with the 5dii... ie, responsiveness.

If you look back through my posts here, I got some really neat shots of some little girls swinging... all because the sony is responsive enough to almost be a decisive-moment camera. Not up to the m9, or the sports cameras.... but close.

well.. might as well repost:

and

and while we're at it... a few more to show a longer track of consistency

and

Well... I just shot the next session in their baby first year plan (including the sisters)... and I revisited the swing shot as a comparative test of sorts. While the 5dii does track ok in continuous... catching the "stop" at the top of the swing arc was impossible. Pissed me off, for sure. It was at that moment that I decided the sony was coming back into my stable as soon as funds permit. The 5dii does track processionals at weddings nicely... but it's actually worse with single-af in low-light with static subjects.

Enough bitching, huh. Good to hear, Marc.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, if I may,

What lenses do you use in your work? I need tilt/shift lenses for part of my work (and am using them more for other applications, too) but dod not know if Sony/Zeiss have a TS. TIA, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, you've gotta go 3rd party or adapter for T/S on the Sony.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Marc, if I may,

What lenses do you use in your work? I need tilt/shift lenses for part of my work (and am using them more for other applications, too) but dod not know if Sony/Zeiss have a TS. TIA, kl
    Nope. As a "system" Sony has a ways to go yet.

My evaluation was strictly as wedding photographer's kit using all the current ZA optics and a Sony 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8G APO.

I'm about to publish an article for Photo.net that I was asked to do for their wedding forum which shares my experience using all the latest from Nikon, Canon and Sony ... "used" extensively on the job, not just in controlled test conditions.

One of the article's "Cons" for Sony is that IF you also use your 35mm DSLR for work other than weddings to be aware the system isn't as complete as Nikon or Canon. No T/S, no AF Zeiss macro (both C & N's Macros are image stabilized and optically stellar for the money). I'm looking into adapting a Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro to the A900 ... while not AF, it would be stabilized on the Sony and is the best macro I've ever used.

Some fast Zeiss primes are still missing from both ends of the focal length spectrum (i.e., Zeiss 21/2.8, 28/2 or 35/1.4 and one of those fab Zeiss APO telephotos).

If Zeiss issued an AF ZA version of the legendary 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd sell a body part to get it ... The excellent Canon 50/1.2L is a "Holga Lens" compared to to the Zeiss 50/1.2

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Marc; that's v. helpful.

I could not afford to run two systems presently, I don't think, but since your original post I have re-read most of the reviews and impressions of this excellent camera.

and I can see for event work (I have an Embassy reception to do once I get back from the Caymans, where I am presently) this would be an excellent choice. And I am sure the ZA lens range will expand, too.

For now, the Live View implementation (for the TS lenses) means that I will stick with Nikon for now; and if the D3x sensor appears in a gripless body like the D700, I will sell one of these and get the higher pixel count version.

Agree completely re. the new Nikon macros, too; the 60 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, period. When you adapt that Leica 100/2.8 APO macro, you will have something unique, for sure.

I would appreciate a link to that photo.net article once you have finished it too, please, and I am sure that many others here would, too.

Re. the 50/1.2 Anniversary—which part did you have in mind?

cheers and thanks, kl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Marc; that's v. helpful.

I could not afford to run two systems presently, I don't think, but since your original post I have re-read most of the reviews and impressions of this excellent camera.

and I can see for event work (I have an Embassy reception to do once I get back from the Caymans, where I am presently) this would be an excellent choice. And I am sure the ZA lens range will expand, too.

For now, the Live View implementation (for the TS lenses) means that I will stick with Nikon for now; and if the D3x sensor appears in a gripless body like the D700, I will sell one of these and get the higher pixel count version.

Agree completely re. the new Nikon macros, too; the 60 is the sharpest lens I have ever used, period. When you adapt that Leica 100/2.8 APO macro, you will have something unique, for sure.

I would appreciate a link to that photo.net article once you have finished it too, please, and I am sure that many others here would, too.

Re. the 50/1.2 Anniversary—which part did you have in mind?

cheers and thanks, kl
    LOL!

Judging by the cost of the original Zeiss 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd estimate everything from the neck down.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes that in-body image stabilisation even more valuable, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd be curious how the Sony macros compare to the Canon and Nikon variants, as Ive never really heard complaints about them....unless compared to the Zeiss.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can you post the link to that article when it's done Marc? I've not been on the wedding forum on photo.net for years. Would be very interested to read it.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I'd be curious how the Sony macros compare to the Canon and Nikon variants, as Ive never really heard complaints about them....unless compared to the Zeiss.
    The 100 macro has turned out to be a very good lens. After a few months of regular use, I have come to like it. Having used a 100mm f/2.8 makro-planar for many years, it was a shock at first but now I realize the main difference between these 2 and what I consider as the major flaw of the Sony. The Zeiss MP is known for the infamous Zeiss trick of extending sharpness to the limits of the DOF area, sacrificing slightly the sharpness at the exact focusing point. The Sony is the exact opposite. There is a clear and sharp line where things are either within DOF or not. In some photos, this looks very ugly indeed but I have learned how to avoid such angles, whenever possible.

The Canon macro that I have used before fell somewhere between the two, but I believe the Sony is sharper, without having any direct comparisons to prove it.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Jan Chelminski

Nope. As a "system" Sony has a ways to go yet.

My evaluation was strictly as wedding photographer's kit using all the current ZA optics and a Sony 50/1.4 and 70-200/2.8G APO.

I'm about to publish an article for Photo.net that I was asked to do for their wedding forum which shares my experience using all the latest from Nikon, Canon and Sony ... "used" extensively on the job, not just in controlled test conditions.

One of the article's "Cons" for Sony is that IF you also use your 35mm DSLR for work other than weddings to be aware the system isn't as complete as Nikon or Canon. No T/S, no AF Zeiss macro (both C & N's Macros are image stabilized and optically stellar for the money). I'm looking into adapting a Leica R 100/2.8 APO Macro to the A900 ... while not AF, it would be stabilized on the Sony and is the best macro I've ever used.

Some fast Zeiss primes are still missing from both ends of the focal length spectrum (i.e., Zeiss 21/2.8, 28/2 or 35/1.4 and one of those fab Zeiss APO telephotos).

If Zeiss issued an AF ZA version of the legendary 50/1.2 Anniversary, I'd sell a body part to get it ... The excellent Canon 50/1.2L is a "Holga Lens" compared to to the Zeiss 50/1.2

-Marc
    Thanks Marc, I just read the article and its very good. I am in the process of selling and scraping together for an A900 and lenses. Not a wedding photographer, but its clear to me that this camera is a classic. Still, I find it a little weird, being so excited about getting a Sony. Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Chelminski View Post
    Thanks Marc, I just read the article and its very good. (...)
    + 1
    Indeed an excellent article, Marc !

And Jan, thank you for the hint and welcome aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by kit laughlin; 4th December 2009 at 14:26.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks, would someone kindly add a link to Marc's article, please—totally unfamiliar landscape over there (photo.net) and searches did not locate it.

Regards, kl
    I did a thread here on the Sony forum with the link.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Great article, Marc, as is the other one in the series. Your credentials are very impressive, too. Regards from Australia, KL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc: very nice and informative article. You have certainly been a mentor for many of us.
    would love to see a picture of you..

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, while I am not especially interested in Wedding Photography I found the article very interesting and informative, especially the evolution of your kit. I find your comments about flash especially interesting... I remember you grousing about the iISO shoe in an earlier thread here in GetDPI and it's nice to see that you have "seen the light"... so to speak... Grows on you, eh?
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Anderson View Post
    Marc, while I am not especially interested in Wedding Photography I found the article very interesting and informative, especially the evolution of your kit. I find your comments about flash especially interesting... I remember you grousing about the iISO shoe in an earlier thread here in GetDPI and it's nice to see that you have "seen the light"... so to speak... Grows on you, eh?
    Yeah, I even mentioned that I thought it was a stupid design at first ... but in use it really helps speed up things at a wedding.

It is a bit difficult getting together all the little parts to make it work for PWs, but that's cleared up now.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sony lovers,

Early this year I mentioned that if forced to choose between my Sony system and Nikon system to make my living with, it would be the Nikon.

I am here to eat my words.

After a full wedding season the Sony has proved itself under the most trying of conditions.

This is the best DSLR system I have ever used ... and I've used just about all of them.

The color right out of the camera is unmatched ... no matter how much I tweaked my processing routines, the Sony was always the best going in ... therefore the easiest to get a job done.

Once I figured out how to get great B&Ws it was smooth sailing from then onward.

Even my clients have been remarking on how "realistic" the images are, and how beautiful the colors are.

The proof is in actions not words.

Last week I sold all of my Nikon digital gear.

I await Sony's next step ... and hopefully even more lens choices from Carl Zeiss.

Sony The One and Only.

Who would have thunk it just a couple of years ago.

-Marc

Well written Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sony lovers,
    -Marc
    I'm about to get an A900, the Zeiss 24-70 and a Minolta 50 macro. The viewfinder, the Zeiss (and Minolta) glass and the resolution has got me sold. Your review has just reaffirmed my buying decision.

I'm hoping Sony decides to leverage their video experience in the next top Alpha dog. Looking at RED and the 5DII i think Sony could make a hell of a top end integrated pro still/video device. That's the future for a lot of areas of photography.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Marc
    I missed this first time around - Enjoyed the article, but I'm jealous of your lenses!

For me the combination of the A900, Zeiss lenses and the M9 is where I seem to have arrived as well. I can't see it changing very soon!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I have the A900 and Zeiss, and have an M8 on the way. I agree this is a killer combo; I'm afraid I'll be upgrading to the M9 soon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Graber View Post
    I'm about to get an A900, the Zeiss 24-70 and a Minolta 50 macro. The viewfinder, the Zeiss (and Minolta) glass and the resolution has got me sold. Your review has just reaffirmed my buying decision.

I'm hoping Sony decides to leverage their video experience in the next top Alpha dog. Looking at RED and the 5DII i think Sony could make a hell of a top end integrated pro still/video device. That's the future for a lot of areas of photography.
    I sincerely hope they do not include video. Just something else to clog up the works and increase costs with a little used feature ... IMHO.

Give me dual card capture, (like the Canon and Nikon Pro models have). Live view with 10X mag. One stop better ISO NR. A fast Zeiss 28 or 35 prime and a 100/2.8 APO macro. More weather sealing.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I sincerely hope they do not include video.
    Amen. I have pro. video cameras for that.

And yes to your other suggestions; and add a decent TS lens or two and I will buy an A900 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about skipping the anti-aliasing filter while we are at it ?
    I don't get it why CaSoNikon keep the AA filter even in these high-end FF 24+ megapixel machines ?
    I assume it can no longer be for the sake of aliasing, or am I wrong here ?
    With regards to moiré, I would rather deal with that in post-processing.
    Last edited by Steen; 14th December 2009 at 05:30.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amen. I have pro. video cameras for that.

And yes to your other suggestions; and add a decent TS lens or two and I will buy an A900 as well.
    What about one of these T/S lenses for the A900?

http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/lens_...0Mount%20Types

Kevin B

I was sent the link to this site for the purpose of reading your article, Why? well I have been shooting Sony since the A100 and now own the A700 and A850 but I had begun to feel that maybe Sony was not the system to venture into the pro level any further than the A900/850 ( I see them as pro tools, even the A700 would qualify) I had been conversing with other photg. and I had it my mind to jump to the Canon 7d , But better logic and reasoning won out, I had to take another look at where I truly wanted to go with my photography ( I am not doing it full time as yet but soon) I have shot Moto-X, and stills but I want to get into portrait work, that aside I have now come to my senses and Sony is going to be my system I have one of the best combo's and some good glass but soon to add some long awaited Zeiss.

I have decided to sell my Harley to fund the new glass and that my friend is a huge deal for me, I love my ride but I love photography more so there you go.

And yes after reading your article Marc that help push me in the right direction.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it..

Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, excellent idea, but the site's link says "out of stock". I did have a Super-Rotator for the Canon mount, so am familiar with them—could perhaps do second hand, but 35 is really not wide enough for interiors.

OTOH, with the prices of the A900 so reasonable, I am inclining to running two systems (again!), using the D700 + 24 PC-E for interiors (along with the 14–24).

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post
    I was sent the link to this site for the purpose of reading your article, Why? well I have been shooting Sony since the A100 and now own the A700 and A850 but I had begun to feel that maybe Sony was not the system to venture into the pro level any further than the A900/850 ( I see them as pro tools, even the A700 would qualify) I had been conversing with other photg. and I had it my mind to jump to the Canon 7d , But better logic and reasoning won out, I had to take another look at where I truly wanted to go with my photography ( I am not doing it full time as yet but soon) I have shot Moto-X, and stills but I want to get into portrait work, that aside I have now come to my senses and Sony is going to be my system I have one of the best combo's and some good glass but soon to add some long awaited Zeiss.

I have decided to sell my Harley to fund the new glass and that my friend is a huge deal for me, I love my ride but I love photography more so there you go.

And yes after reading your article Marc that help push me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Hope I didn't help "Push" you over a cliff Kevin ...

Seriously, I really do think that if you don't need really specialized things like T/S, the Sony is a great choice. My only real hope is for a Zeiss 28/2 or 35/1.4 in future. However, I am not holding my breath .... since I waited forever for the same thing from Zeiss for the Contax N system.

Best of luck,

-Marc

gatay

thanks for your share!
    i really like B&W technique!
    good information!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, excellent idea, but the site's link says "out of stock". I did have a Super-Rotator for the Canon mount, so am familiar with them—could perhaps do second hand, but 35 is really not wide enough for interiors.

OTOH, with the prices of the A900 so reasonable, I am inclining to running two systems (again!), using the D700 + 24 PC-E for interiors (along with the 14–24).

Hmmm. Food for thought.
    I believe that Hartblei is only actively making the newer, way more expensive T/S lenses with Zeiss glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I believe that Hartblei is only actively making the newer, way more expensive T/S lenses with Zeiss glass.
    Yeah, only around $12k for the set of three T/S lenses.
    What a bargain for a 40,80,and 120 T/S lens set!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's too rich for me, unfortunately.

Tony Beach

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    Yeah, only around $12k for the set of three T/S lenses.
    What a bargain for a 40,80,and 120 T/S lens set!
    I asked Iliah Borg about these lenses, and he was not impressed. Also, 40mm is too long for me (as a mid range it would be fine, but I too am shocked by the high price); I want 24mm or 28mm, and about $2000 seems like a fair price. I just hope that when Sony/Zeiss get around to this lens, it has independent alignment of the tilt and shift functions.

Post Thanks / Like

40 is way too long for a TS lens, if that is the widest you can get in a range and a 35mm-sized sensor is the recording method. As I have written elsewhere, the new 17 TS-E from Canon with independent tilt and shift axes is the current gold standard (Nikon equivalents have fixed axes, although they can be altered with a screwdriver) and 17 is a lot wider than 24.

I have both axes aligned on my 24 PC-E and get ~17mm EFOV by shifting L and R—but then can't use tilt in the same shot. I hope Nikon sees the light here.

In the meantime, talking about Sony, I can't see a viable solution, because the Mamiya 645 35mm lens is the widest that the Mirex TS adapter can use, AFAIK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, Kit, true...the C 35mm/3.5 N. Imagine how much Sony would charge for a modern CZ 17mm or even 24mm TS; doesn't even bear thinking about!

Post Thanks / Like

Truly, for me a real pity. Everything else looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Yes, Kit, true...the C 35mm/3.5 N. Imagine how much Sony would charge for a modern CZ 17mm or even 24mm TS; doesn't even bear thinking about!
    Going by Sony's other Carl Zeiss offerings, they have been VERY price competitive with their Canon and Nikon equivalents. So using history as a yardstick, I believe when the Sony T/S versions emerge, they will be in the same price ballpark as Canon and Nikon.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post

Thanks
    Kevin
    I am not a professional photographer but I once aspired to being one. Back in the mid-70s I went to art school and photography school but then disability kept me from getting into professional work. Anyway, what camera I used didn't matter much except the bigger the negative the better. I had a Nikon FTN at one time and my a850 reminds me of it. Its a workhorse with excellent optics. I also used 4"x5" and I miss that a great deal. I can see going for the $7,000-8000 NikCans if one needs the speed (fps), liveview for tripod work, or some lenses that aren't available such as wide angle, t/s and super telephoto primes. If you don't need these things then the Sony is probably just as good and maybe better in some ways than NikCans. I really don't see any ISO over about 3200 as useful given the quality of the images produced at such speeds even by the most expensive NikCans. The images have a lot of color noise, lack detail and have poor dynamic range. There are those who say that Sony isn't releasing top of the line cameras as quickly as they like. They seem to forget that the a900 has only been out a bit more than a year and that camera companies don't release top of the line cameras all that frequently because the pay off is just not there. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony released a upgraded a 900 before summer, probably with a few more prime lenses. I think it will have live view if for no other reason than that a fuss has been made about it being absent.