The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible Firmware Update for A900

Gaetan

I thought I had seen an article stating that there was to be a new firmware release for the A900. Then everything disappeared on the subject. Would anyone know anything about the rumour?

Respectfully

Gaetan Dery

www.photostudiodery.com

douglasf13

I've actually been a little surprised by this. Both my A100 and A700 had many firmware updates, and we aren't talking just bug fixes. Some of them added features.

edwardkaraa

I've actually been a little surprised by this. Both my A100 and A700 had many firmware updates, and we aren't talking just bug fixes. Some of them added features.
I completely forgot about this. The A700's 4 firmware updates (or was it 5?).

I retract my comments :D

Irenaeus

What I want in a firmware update to the a900 is a few more aspect ratio options. I personally frame pictures more intuitively in 6 x 7 and 4 x 3 than I do in 3 x 2. Naturally, therefore, I'd like to have these available on my a900.

But what I'd REALLY find fascinating and exciting would be to be able to use something in the true Golden Ratio of 1 x 1.618. And why not? If Sony can write code to produce a widescreen rectangle of 16 x 9, how much harder would it be write code for a Golden Rectangle of 16 x 9.888 or 9 x 14.562?

And NOBODY else does it Sony....

Cheers,

Irenaeus

GrahamB

What I want in a firmware update to the a900 is a few more aspect ratio options. I personally frame pictures more intuitively in 6 x 7 and 4 x 3 than I do in 3 x 2. Naturally, therefore, I'd like to have these available on my a900.

But what I'd REALLY find fascinating and exciting would be to be able to use something in the true Golden Ratio of 1 x 1.618. And why not? If Sony can write code to produce a widescreen rectangle of 16 x 9, how much harder would it be write code for a Golden Rectangle of 16 x 9.888 or 9 x 14.562?

And NOBODY else does it Sony....

Cheers,

Irenaeus
Sony's own IDC is the only raw converter that recognizes the 16:9 crop menu option. The camera takes the full 2:3 format frame, but tags the file with the crop. I don't use jpeg's, but I assume the camera does output the jpeg cropped to 16:9.

I'm in the camp that beleieves the purpose of firmware updates is to correct bug's, rather than introduce new features. There are several bug's that could stand correcting, such as the lcd illumination when a control button is activated, even with your eye to the viewfinder.

I often crop my images to format's other than 2:3. I don't need guidelines for framing, but you can add guidelines limited only by your imagination in aftermarket focus screens. Another option would be to order another type "G" Sony screen, and using a X-acto type knife, a straight edge and india ink, craft your own custom grids.

I'm sure you're aware of the fixed ratio option available with the marquee tool in Photoshop? After using the marquee tool, select "crop" under the "image" heading at the top of the screen. This option is relevant for CS4, but I believe I recall it being available for earlier releases.

Regards,
Graham

fotografz

Firmware can address noise ... it's been done for a number of cameras without some distasteful consequence. The A900 could use a stop better ISO.

If you don't agree with it, don't load the firmware. Choice would be nice.

IMO, aspect ratios are the providence of post programs. Some images are seen in the mind's eye as one ratio, some as another ... programs like Lightroom ect., allow any ratio you wish. Sometimes the square is most pleasing, other times the Golden mean works best, and yet others sing as panoramas.

-Marc

douglasf13

I would certainly welcome improved high ISO and many new functions for the A900 via firmware, but I certainly don't expect it to happen.

Irenaeus

*IMO, aspect ratios are the providence of post programs. Some images are seen in the mind's eye as one ratio, some as another ... programs like Lightroom ect., allow any ratio you wish. Sometimes the square is most pleasing, other times the Golden mean works best, and yet others sing as panoramas.*

Thanks, Marc — what you say does make sense, especially in regard to freeing the mind by hanging loose to the options dictated by the equipment. I'm just used to using whatever format is at my disposal, putting the best frame I can around the scene and not cropping much later, if at all. I also like to get so used to my equipment that I can frame in my minds eye even before the camera gets into position for the capture. Since I do that better at that with a familiar prime and 4 x 3 than with the same prime and 3 x 2, I'd prefer, if possible, to choose my default frame before the fact rather than afterward. Hence the thought about the Golden Ratio, which has always fascinated me, but I'll experiment with floating a post processing frame around some of my existing images and see where it leads me.

*Another option would be to order another type "G" Sony screen, and using a X-acto type knife, a straight edge and india ink, craft your own custom grids.*

Thanks to you, too, Graham — I actually hadn't thought of that and will look into it.

Cheers,

Irenaeus

fotografz

*IMO, aspect ratios are the providence of post programs. Some images are seen in the mind's eye as one ratio, some as another ... programs like Lightroom ect., allow any ratio you wish. Sometimes the square is most pleasing, other times the Golden mean works best, and yet others sing as panoramas.*

Thanks, Marc — what you say does make sense, especially in regard to freeing the mind by hanging loose to the options dictated by the equipment. I'm just used to using whatever format is at my disposal, putting the best frame I can around the scene and not cropping much later, if at all. I also like to get so used to my equipment that I can frame in my minds eye even before the camera gets into position for the capture. Since I do that better at that with a familiar prime and 4 x 3 than with the same prime and 3 x 2, I'd prefer, if possible, to choose my default frame before the fact rather than afterward. Hence the thought about the Golden Ratio, which has always fascinated me, but I'll experiment with floating a post processing frame around some of my existing images and see where it leads me.

*Another option would be to order another type "G" Sony screen, and using a X-acto type knife, a straight edge and india ink, craft your own custom grids.*

Thanks to you, too, Graham — I actually hadn't thought of that and will look into it.

Cheers,

Irenaeus
I think is has a lot to do with your shooting style and what you do with the end results.

I'm an art director and designer by training and trade ... now retired. That rubbed of on me a lot in photography, so post editing is a major part of the creative process for me ... I love "discovering" different crops.

My primary volume of work is shooting weddings so I'm moving through hundreds of images at a crack. Using Lightroom as my main processing program, I set predetermined crop ratios including custom ones in the aspect ratio menu ... and just click on the one I think is appropriate for the image ... and then just slide the crop around until satisfied ... or try others.

-Marc

Irenaeus

Using Lightroom as my main processing program, I set predetermined crop ratios including custom ones in the aspect ratio menu ... and just click on the one I think is appropriate for the image ... and then just slide the crop around until satisfied ... or try others.

-Marc
Cool!

Irenaeus