The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica vario-elmar 80-200 f4 on a900 1.4x possible?

docmaas

I'm using this lens and will post some pics from it soon.

Right now I'm wondering if anyone has used a 1.4x tc with the lens. The Leica version protudes far too far to work. It looks like the tamron sp or kenko pro 300 will work if just barely. I have a sigma but the front element is flush with the flange and that is too far out as well.

A second issue is given the various enlarging algorithms available how much good is a telextender? It might be a better idea to leave the extending to post rather than using glass, losing a stop and having to take it on and off in the field.

thoughts?

dhsimmonds

Obviously there are a lot of pixels in the A900 files so good cleanly exposed and focused files are capable of substantial cropping and still produce a very tidy print. So much depends on your required print size. You can still get a very good print down to 240 or even 180 dpi.

However if you need to produce A2 plus size prints from a substantially cropped file and the lowest print definitions aren't adequate or your print shop requires more pixels, then there are several interpolation software program's available.

One of the best in my view is Genuine Fractals. I used it quite a lot until I bought the A900......never used it since!

Many of the stock agencies will also now accept a high res. image prepared with GF.

Hope this helps?

docmaas

Thanks Dave.

IIRC focus magic does a great job of doubling the size of the image. I used on trial with Sigma images and there was very little quality loss, much less than using any other interpolator I had access to at the time.

I'm thinking that aside from needing a larger object on which to focus telextenders are probably unnecessary with software currently available.

Mike

dhsimmonds

In general I think that I would agree with you. There has been some interesting debates on Sony forums about whether it is better to crop the A900 files or use a similar lens on the now obsolete A700 with it's 1.5 crop.

The general consensus I seem to remember is that the uncropped A700 file would produce a better image. I have never tried it as I don't have the A700. I also prefer to use lenses designed for full frame on a full frame sensor!