Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finally a Carl Zeiss 24 mm f 2.0 coming

Tony Beach

Re: Finally a Carl Zeiss 24 mm f 2.0 coming

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I have seen numerous samples from D3, D300s, D3X and some D3s on this equipment and I find all of them equal or better to A900.
    I see a big difference between the colors coming from my D300 and A850, and I am much more impressed with the A850 colors.

Either I am doing something wrong or I am color blind - no matter this is my impression and this is what finally counts for me.

PS2: I actually never found the greens of the A900 so outstanding, I liked more the overall color reproduction, especially in the blues and reds, not the greens, which tended to be too yellowish - in all RAW converters.
    It's about resolving colors, not about rendering them.

Post Thanks / Like

@Robert and Tony

Well so be happy with your choice. If it brings the results you want and prefer, then it is perfect.

Enjoy!

PS: WRT build quality of Nikkor lenses it depends very much on the different models, but especially the new Nanocoated versions are superb build. I rather could not say the same about my Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70, which build quality and ergonomics did by no means impress me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My RAW converters were (are): C1Pro, Aperture 2 and 3 as well as LR2 and of course PS CS3 and 4. I have calibrated displays, one being an Eizo 24" latest generation which comes with a calibration device.

I am using a calibrated workflow.

I never liked the colors of the D2X, which was the issue to change finally to A900. So interesting that you put it above the newer Nikon cameras. I have seen numerous samples from D3, D300s, D3X and some D3s on this equipment and I find all of them equal or better to A900.

Either I am doing something wrong or I am color blind - no matter this is my impression and this is what finally counts for me.

PS1: all of these color reproductions can be just forgotten compared to my H3D39. This is also the reason why I am a bit more reluctant about exact color reproduction of my DSLR equipment, as for the real stuff I am using Hasselblad. Maybe I should not think like? Not sure, but this is the way I go.

As I said these decisions are all very subjective and may not be accurate for anyone else of course.

PS2: I actually never found the greens of the A900 so outstanding, I liked more the overall color reproduction, especially in the blues and reds, not the greens, which tended to be too yellowish - in all RAW converters.
    It is not the end result, it is the process to get there. With effort I can make most any RAW file from a 20+ meg CMOS camera look as good as another ... and did so with the D3X ... which is notorious for relatively flat colors initially. Fine for those who wish to sit at a computer screen forever and a day. I prefer shooting to doing that : -)

Again, I make no claim to any superiority of any of these systems ... just a VERY personal preference for certain economies of my time and for spending as little on something I'm not fond of anyway ... namely CMOS sensored cameras with AA filters. I put the "Nikon Money" into more M gear, which I do prefer, so cost is no object : -) On the other hand, I'll NEVER spend $8K on a DSLR body again. NEVER.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Robert and Tony

Well so be happy with your choice. If it brings the results you want and prefer, then it is perfect.

Enjoy!

PS: WRT build quality of Nikkor lenses it depends very much on the different models, but especially the new Nanocoated versions are superb build. I rather could not say the same about my Zeiss 16-35 and 24-70, which build quality and ergonomics did by no means impress me.
    Nothing is really better than the next is it?

It's all subjective, or based on different experiences.

I see excellent build quailty from the ZAs and you don't. You see something from Nikon that attracts you, and I thought they were okay ... actually not okay when my new Nikon 24-70 broke in half revealing questionable materials used as the frame work ... looked like cheap pig metal of some type ... cracked right in half. Then it went to service and the part wasn't availabe for almost 2 months. To Nikon's credit, they finally just replaced the lens with a new one. But in the meantime I had to buy another to shoot my weddings with. Crap experience

So, different strokes for different folks. It can happen with anything to anybody at any time.

But I don't go onto the Nikon forum and diss Nikon while lauding Sony. It's a waste of time.

And so is this.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ouch! Aren't you an NPS member Marc? Just speaking to a friend, wedding shooter, going out of his mind with the D700 hotshoe issue and Nikon not having parts either. He ended up taking it to a private repair guy and finally getting it fixed. Got another friend, PJ, same issue with D700, ended up buying another while Nikon fixed his.

I've just been informed by Canon UK that they are starting a new 3 tier CPS service (although still free as it's pro only) - rather nervous about what they will change - the 3 day turnaround is worth its weight in gold and canon always have parts, etc.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Agreed. The lack of a 200mm prime is a glaring hole in the current line-up, and I wonder which way they'll go with it?
    I agree that a good Zeiss or Sony G 200 mm F2.0 macro would be a killer of a lens on the A900/850. I have seen some excellent results from the vintage Minolta versions which are now virtually unobtainable.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com