The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally a Carl Zeiss 24 mm f 2.0 coming

peterv

From the press release:

Shown in advanced pre-production form at PMA is the Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss wide angle lens. Scheduled for launch in 2010, this bright, wide angle prime is an ideal choice for reportage, naturally lit interiors and other quality-critical handheld shooting applications.

Another picture here: (together with the upcoming 500 mm f 4.0)

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1002/sony/PMA_2010_Sony_3.jpg

Eoin

Well!, I'm delighted to read the news, it shows they are moving in the right direction. However, considering this focal length is covered twice over in my 16-35 and 24-70 and it's a stop faster, I'm still unlikely to purchase this. A 50 f:/1.2 would have been a no brainer for me.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well!, I'm delighted to read the news, it shows they are moving in the right direction. However, considering this focal length is covered twice over in my 16-35 and 24-70 and it's a stop faster, I'm still unlikely to purchase this. A 50 f:/1.2 would have been a no brainer for me.
However, I wonder that since it competes with neither the 20f28 nor the 28f28 Sony ok'd its release.

Personally 21, 35 or macro would have seemed more desirable....if it is flawless I will add it but the 24 - 70 seems fairly good.

Bob

douglasf13

A 50 1.2 would have been a no-brainer for me, too.

The ZA 24 makes sense to me, though. It's quite a bit smaller than the zooms, and it should be much cheaper, too. It'll be a good 35mm equivalent for APS-C users, and a good, small-ish, fast-ish 24mm prime for fullframe users. I'd be shocked if the 24 doesn't have outstanding IQ (my 2470 isn't exactly perfect at 24mm.)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, the 24 is of no interest to me, but the 500 f4 is exactly what I've been waiting for!
But.......when? I've seen this picture for well over a year now...
Bill

fotografz

Done deal for me. I'll take anything Zeiss they make.

Contrary to every one else ... my hope had been for a Zeiss 35/1.4

What is it with these companies? First Nikon, then Sony/Zeiss 24mm primes ... doesn't anyone get how important a fast 35mm is?

-Marc

docmoore

I am with you on this one Marc....

I will buy the Sony 35 1.4 and the ZA 24 2.0 and wait for more Zeiss primes.

Bob

douglasf13

This all leads me to wonder what to expect in the future from Sony and Zeiss. Judging by the current lineup, and by what reps have said, it seems that Sony isn't intending to release a full Zeiss lineup (at least anytime soon,) but, rather, fill in gaps, which I personally think is not the right move. So now, in regards to fullframe primes, we have:

16 fish
20 2.8
24 2 ZA
28 2.8
35 1.4 G
50 1.4
50 2.8 macro
85 1.4 ZA
100 2.8 macro
135 1.8 ZA
135 stf
300 2.8 G
500 4 G

So now, outside of T/S**, I wonder where they'll go next. It seems a 200mm (maybe macro, maybe both) is the logical next move, and that has been rumored. What do you think? I have a feeling it'll be a LONG time before I see any kind of ZA 50mm prime. :(

**lately, an interesting new Sony patent application for a tilt lens with AF surfaced.

docmoore

This all leads me to wonder what to expect in the future from Sony and Zeiss. Judging by the current lineup, and by what reps have said, it seems that Sony isn't intending to release a full Zeiss lineup (at least anytime soon,) but, rather, fill in gaps, which I personally think is not the right move. So now, in regards to fullframe primes, we have:

16 fish
20 2.8
24 2 ZA
28 2.8
35 1.4 G
50 1.4
50 2.8 macro
85 1.4 ZA
100 2.8 macro
135 1.8 ZA
135 stf
300 2.8 G
500 4 G

So now, outside of T/S**, I wonder where they'll go next. It seems a 200mm (maybe macro, maybe both) is the logical next move, and that has been rumored. What do you think? I have a feeling it'll be a LONG time before I see any kind of ZA 50mm prime. :(

**lately, an interesting new Sony patent application for a tilt lens with AF surfaced.

I am new to this game but think you may be correct...such a shame.

Bob

douglasf13

Granted, a user on another forum mentioned that he saw some presentation from a Sony rep a few days ago, and he hinted that Sony would be bringing a ton of midrange lenses next year. I could deal with a ZA 50 f2. My point above is that I don't expect Sony to duplicate lenses exactly, like a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4

docmoore

Granted, a user on another forum mentioned that he saw some presentation from a Sony rep a few days ago, and he hinted that Sony would be bringing a ton of midrange lenses next year. I could deal with a ZA 50 f2. My point above is that I don't expect Sony to duplicate lenses exactly, like a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.4
I concur...hope we are both wrong. Corporate think tends to take the most conservative route.

Bob

douglasf13

On a more positive note, I just saw this.

"In a wide-ranging interview, Mr Imamura also told us that the company’s relationship with Carl Zeiss will extend to lenses designed for the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, unveiled at this year’s PMA. However, he refused to be drawn on details of the upcoming camera’s specification, beyond what has already been made public. "

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/870072/1#8160332

I'm into the idea of a small aps-c cam with a zeiss prime.

Terry

Granted my needs are different than Marc's or other shooters who really like to work with primes, like Eion the 16-35 and 24-70 have me well covered at 24 and I don't really need that extra stop at that focal.

fotografz

Granted my needs are different than Marc's or other shooters who really like to work with primes, like Eion the 16-35 and 24-70 have me well covered at 24 and I don't really need that extra stop at that focal.
Don't get me wrong, If there wasn't a ZA24-70/2.8 and ZA16-35/2.8 I may have not gone the Sony A900 route. Coupled with the Sony 70-200/2.8G APO and 1.4X extender, all aspects of wedding coverage or action type shooting are handled ...which is the only reason I have any DSLR at all.

The ZA primes simply offer creative choice.

Actually, there are some aspects of the ZA24/2 as yet unknown that could determine whether I add it to the bag ... price, distortion and CA control, vignetting, closest focusing distance, and Bokeh. Close focusing @ f/2 will be different from f/2.8 depending on how close the new 24 will focus.

These days about 1/2 of my wedding work is done with a M9 and fast aperture M optics ... 24/1.4ASPH, 50/0.95 Noctilux, 75/1.4 German for example.

So, in reality, what I need from Sony/Zeiss are lenses that specifically are DSLR territory ... Zooms, Macros, T/S options, longer lenses.

One of the most valuable 35mm DSLR lenses I ever used was the Nikon 90/2.8 T/S Macro. Tilt was invaluable for DOF. Once you use one of those, any regular 100mm Macro just doesn't cut it.

Other than the slower WATE and MATE, there are no quasi zooms for M work nor is there anything above 135mm ... and the Medium Format Zooms are huge, slow and impractical for spontaneous work.

dhsimmonds

I share Marc's conservative approach to the 24/F2 ZA lens. Most of all I shall be looking for vignetting which is a known for the 24-70 at 24mm.

Perhaps this lens as a prime has re-dressed this situation as 24mm is a useful FL to have for so many different subjects. Amazingly, the 16-35 ZA displays no vignetting at any FL.

jonoslack

Dave - will you PERLEASE stop saying how good the 16-35 is. I really don't need to know :deadhorse:.
I hope there are more of these primes too - this one isn't for me, but it's nice to see it there. Interesting that Zeiss will be making lenses for their little camera. I still think it sad that Leica aren't more involved with m4/3 - the 45 macro is such a splendid lens.

all thebest

edwardkaraa

I find the new 24/2 to be in line with the new Zeiss philosophy that we see in the ZE/ZF line. Zeiss wants to avoid super wide apertures that can produce less than optimal results and want to give us a small compact lens with a maximum aperture that you can use without any second thoughts about the image quality. I expect this 24/2 to be great wide open and only improve in contrast and DOF when stopped down, similarly to the ZE/ZF cousins.

Even though I have both zooms, I will purchase the 24 for sure especially if it is as good as I expect it to be. The zooms are well, zooms. Good for reportage and many other applications, but not the best for landscapes and site photography that I like to do. I would have loved to see a 100 macro and a fast 35 and 50, but maybe they will come later this year.