The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about RRS plate with a900 VG

I have converted over to RRS, with the a900 L-plate, a lens plate for the APO, and one for the bellows. I recently picked up a VG and while I plan to use that for 99%+ handheld shooting, I don't want to have to remove it then attach the L-plate just to put it on a tripod occasionally. OTOH when I'm planning to go out and primarily shoot using the tripod I'll forgo the VG and use the L-plate.

So, the question is, has anyone found a particular P/N RRS QR plate that works well on the VG and resists twisting?

Nice try, Mike. :D I'm keeping the L-plate and may even consider making one for VG use. I don't want it to make the VG awkward to use though, so first choice is just a simple plate that hopefully won't get in the way. The VG was an impulse buy when I saw them going for $200 at B&H. My shooting breaks down roughly like this:

80%+: on a tripod, VG would be unnecessary dead weight. I expect the L-plate to live on the camera most of the time.

<20% handheld, on the fly... this is where the VG will come in handy.

Usually when I leave home I have in my mind that I will do one kind of photography or the other, but even when I think I will be doing mostly handheld I generally bring the tripod along, slung over my shoulder. I just don't want to have to, on top of removing the L-plate from the camera, also have to remove the dovetail from my one lens with a mounting foot and/or remove the QR clamp from the tripod.

docmaas

Well, can't blame me for trying. Kirk does make a universal bracket with a long vertical. Not sure it would suitable but you might want to take a gander. The nice thing about the kirk is that the vertical appears to be removable vis a couple of allen screws at the corners.

You could get a machinist to cut the l bracket you have and insert an extra section to move the access hole in the vertical to the correct height when on the VG.

I'm using a short RRS universal right now on the A900. It works but eventually I will get the one that is designed for the camera.

Best,

Mike

Well, can't blame me for trying.
Not at all, I was just trying to inject a little(very little, apparently) humor into the discussion.

Kirk does make a universal bracket with a long vertical. Not sure it would suitable but you might want to take a gander. The nice thing about the kirk is that the vertical appears to be removable vis a couple of allen screws at the corners.
I was thinking of that, will have to eyeball it when I get the camera back from repair. I have a link to the Kirk item that you describe, I can't help but wonder about how strong those two tiny screws really are though.

You could get a machinist to cut the l bracket you have and insert an extra section to move the access hole in the vertical to the correct height when on the VG.

I'm using a short RRS universal right now on the A900. It works but eventually I will get the one that is designed for the camera.

Best,

Mike
Since I want to keep the L-bracket that I have, I have to look for an alternative that will probably live on the grip full-time even though the grip will only live on the camera for a fraction of the time.

That's two recommendations to look at the Kirk stuff now(one semi-anonymous :p ) which I think is carried by K&S locally. I'll probably swing by after I get the camera back, though they seem to not stock what I am looking for, more often than not. :(

docmaas

I wouldn't be too worried about the screws and strength. I'm not an engineer but in my experience the most important aspect of a joint like that is that all the fittings are flush to one another. The tightness allows the entire piece to strengthen the joint. Even the least little gap opens up leverage which is exactly what will make the joint fail. I have a bunch of old brackets made for Nikons before RRS and Kirk were doing them. They are all held by 3 6/32 or 8/32 screws. I use one for a pano bracket and disassemble the L for packing. The only issues I've experienced from it are the screws vibrating loose while traveling in the car. Tighten em up and they are tight and stiff enough to hold a few pounds suspended from a clamp over the center of rotation without issue.

Mike

I know what you mean Mike, with precision machined parts it's surprising how strong a screwed-together assembly can be.

Trying a flat Wimberly plate to start, will see if I can even stand having a plate sticking out of the grip. :) If so, I may go to a universal L-bracket and put the generic plate on the P&S. That's about DSLR size so it should work out OK.

Received and installed the Wimberly plate. I think it's just about perfect for my needs. I was able to position it so it's not really in the way. I took a block of wood and attached it below(from the POV of holding the camera by the VG) this plate with gaffer tape to simulate having a generic L-plate on the camera, and I find that it would be very obtrusive. With the small generic plate, the heel of my hand rests against the grip as it should and the plate disappears into my palm without being a problem. The generic plate would stick out a good 1/2" in this area and make the camera awkward to handle.

I'm going to use it this way and drop the idea of having an L-plate with the VG unless/until I find myself cussing(more than once or twice) about not being able to tripod-mount in portrait orientation with the grip on. :D

T

Tony Beach

I consider the L plate and the vertical grip as each being appropriate for different and mutually exclusive applications.

Yes, as I mentioned in the OP, I get that... I'm a sucker for punishment though and tend to have a tripod along even when I think I'm mostly shooting handheld. This thread stems from my well-founded concerns that the a900+VG is essentially unusable in vertical orientation on any tripod meant to be carried by a single human. :D

I think I'm all set now.

T

Tony Beach

I haven't broken down and bought a vertical grip for some time now. I had one for my D200, it was terribly chintzy so I quickly sold it. If I were to get one, it would be for my D300 since that camera does 8 fps. As for being ready for anything, I always carry a 5mm allen wrench in my bag.

Couldn't resist @ $200 new from B&H. It's very well made, metal body, all buttons/dials/joystick indistinguishable in build/feel from the ones on the camera body.