Site Sponsors

Thread: Adding grid lines to M screen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adding grid lines to M screen

Has anyone ever drawn or etched grid lines on a matte screen before? I love my M screen, but I need some sort of horizontal/vertical reference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding grid lines to M screen

Bill,

I have the M screen installed on my a850. I'm comfortable using the wide area AF points, and mentally drawing a line to establish a "grid" on the field. Just outside the outer points corresponds to where 1/3 lines would appear.

If you feel only "real" lines will do, you might consider this. Establish your grid, either on the computer from measurements of the M screen and printed on paper, or with deviders on masking tape. Affix the paper or tape to the screen.

Using a straight edge and x-acto type knife, score the lines on the paper or tape mask several times ensuring you're making it through the mask and lightly cutting the M screen. Before removing the mask, use india ink or permanent marker to highlight the score lines.

You could alternately use a permanent marker guided by a straight edge on the naked screen, but I think the mask and blade would give you the thinnest lines.

You could also order a ready made matte screen from Brightscreen, with standard 1/3 grids or a custom layout to your specifications. Brightscreen now offers their screens with stock type tabs for the a900/a850. Jim Lakey, the owner of Brightscreen, is a nice guy to work with. You might give him a call an see if he would establish a grid on your stock Sony M screen.

Regards,
    Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham, I may give that a go. I have done pretty well using the AF points to line up the horizon, but that didn't work out too well on a recent shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with the L screen?
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    What's wrong with the L screen?
    Not as good for MF as the M is. Mine hasn't come off the camera since I installed regardles of how I focus, it is really much better for manual and doesn't bother me in auto. I wish sony made a gridded M too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A long time ago, I used an x-acto blade held vertically and pulling away from the cutting edge to scribe 8x10 crop lines in the focusing screen of my Minolta SLR, as shown in the ASCII diagram below.

Code:
      |  |
      |  |
      |  /
      | /   <-- Direction of cut
    __|/___
    Basically instead of cutting I scraped out a shallow v-shaped channel. It worked fine, without needing any other treatment. I was afraid to use ink, figuring once it got into the matte it would ruin the screen.

It worked very well, BTW.
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave, I'll try that.

Yes, if Sony offered a gridded M screen we wouldn't be having this discussion.