The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

L

lightdreamer

I like the Sony image colour and as you say the handling is totally intuitive. Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine.
There are several options in this range:

I recommend the Sony/Minolta 2.8/100mm a very,
very good lens.

I step cheaper but also very good the Tamron SP 2.8/90.

Also good optical the two Sigmas here
2.8/105 and 2.8/70mm, but Sigma lenses not seldom
show gearing problems.

And never forget to MicroAdjust AF with this lenses,
it makes a big difference!

Greetings

lightdreamer

dhsimmonds

Hi Lightdeamer

I have the 100/2.8 Sony macro and have used it for 18months or so now on the A900 and whilst it is a good lens it does not have the same IQ as the Leica R100/2.8 macro, IMHO.

I quite like the look of the Tamron A fit lenses. I use the Tamron 200-500 extensively for wildlife work, it is exceptionally sharp even handheld. I have heard good results for their 90 Macro, so might give that one a go too.

philip_pj

Another macro that is sublime for little money but you will need an adapter is the Mamiya 645 120mm f4. It goes to 1:1 without tubes, is probably APO, weighs around 750 grams and takes 67mm filters.

Second the opinion of the Minolta 200 f2.8 APO, just a fabulous lens, also light and has two great TC options: 1.4 and 2.0. You can also use so far 'under-priced' Contax lenses with Leitax mounts; many alt users prefer these to the Leica R series due to the 3D effect (contour definition) they deliver. Also very light and most take a common filter size, these make for great field lenses, esp. the 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8 and 35-70/3.4. Plus of course the 21/2.8.

The A900 will need sharpening (AA), but very little, to deliver to anyone's satisfaction. The Sony has a great sensor and its files are extremely robust for post processing.

N

nsng

Hi,

A few months ago I decided to make a move to using the A850 with my R lenses. I have been using a R8/DMR combination for 4 years and I have been very satisfied with the results. However, I felt it was time I moved to a ff DSLR using these fine R lenses. So far I have converted 2 lenses, the 19mm Elmarit 2nd ver and the 28mm Elmarit 1st ver.

The colours from the DMR files reminded me of Kodachrome. May be this is due to the 16-bit colour from the DMR. Moreover, with the CCD sensor without the AA filter, there seemed to be greater sharpness straight from the camera. I think there might be greater micro-contrast as well.

The A850 RAW files look more neutral. But with the appropriate pp, the tonality is easily adjusted to one's taste. The 24 MPx sensor has better DR and stands up to greater enlargement.

The ff sensor is also showing up the age of some of the older R lenses. For example, the 28mm Elmarit 1st ver,has to be stoped down to 5.6 or 8.0 to have decent edge and corner performance. The corner performance with the DMR was not an issue as the crop factor is 1.37.

Here is a link to some of my A850+R lenses test files, http://nns555.zenfolio.com/p38431480

N.S. Ng

mjm6

I finally did a decent direct comparison of comparable lenses on the Sony a900 and the Leica M9...

In this case, 24mm lenses, (Minolta 24mm RS, Leica 24mm R, and Leica 24mm elmarit on the M9).

It's pretty easy to see the improvement that the M9 and M lens gets you. Shocking, really, how big the difference is. Not that the Minolta or Leica R lenses are the best available today, but the AA filter on the a900 probably is responsible for some of the difference. The rest is probably due to the much more retrofocus nature of the two SLR lenes.

The difference may be smaller for 90mm lenses, as these don't need to be designed retrofocus to accommodate the mirror, but I suspect there will still be substantial differences due to the AA filter.

You can see the basic results here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231396&postcount=15

---Michael