Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Finally decided the Sony is best suited for my R glass since I probably can use all of them including the Lux 35 and Elmarit 19v2. So took the plunge and bought an A900 from a forum member as well as a cheap R to Sony mount from eBay. And yes, the Lux 35 clears the A900 mirror. So far I have tried the mount on both the 35 and the 80/1.4. There is a little play so I am ordering more mounts from Leitex.

    I can only shoot in manual without the chip. But SteadySHot seems to work ok. The stock screen is a bit difficult to focus for me. But the built-in adjustable diopter is such a convenience. Why can't the M9 have one?

    Just for fun I took some identical shots with the Lux 35R/A900 and Lux 35asph/M9. The colors of the Sony look cooler with the same WB, or is it due to the lenses? The M shots stand out more in color and sharpness again probably due to the lenses and the fact that I am not focusing with the Sony yet. In any case, I am having a ton of fun. Haven't used my R-glass for three years or more. Ever since the first M8 came out.

    BTW, I thought the camera was self-destructing whenever I turn in on or off until I realized it was the dust shaker at work LOL.

    Alan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Hi Alan,

    Congratulations on the A900! Forgive me here as I'm not sure of your history with the camera. Make sure you are using the M screen, it makes a big difference. Second, make sure you tell David at Leitax what lenses you will use for each mount and ask him to optimize the mount for the lens. He should be able to tweak the mount to eliminate play, but that may take extra time.

    The A900 is a great platform for manual focus lenses and IMO feels a lot like the Leica R bodies. Take time to learn to use the light meter on the camera and familiarize yourself with Uni white balance. There are a lot of threads here on both. Pay particular attention to the advice from Hardloaf. Andrey has done the research to back up his recommendations.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Thanks Bill for your advice. Yes I am a novice with the A900. So lots to learn, especfially post processing DSLR shots. I did tell David what lenses I am using. So hopefully the mounts will be tight. I am just happy that I can use all my R glasses again, including the Lux 35.

    Alan

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    The A900 is a great platform for manual focus lenses and IMO feels a lot like the Leica R bodies.
    Both R bodies and the A900 came from Minolta designers so it's no coincidence that they feel alike.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    I'm not sure about R models before the R8/R9, but I thought the R8 was designed by Leica designers and engineers in Germany.

    http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/camera/page46.html

    I wish I had an extra set of Leica R lenses that I'd be willing to commit to another camera platform, whether the Sony or Nikon (using the Leitax adapters). I just haven't be willing to give up on using my small set of R lenses with my R8 yet.....so when I want the digital image files, I'm using them on a Panny G1 with an adapter. It's a decent setup, but a far cry from an A900 I'm sure.

    Look forward to hearing more about your experience with the R glass on the A900 Alan.....and seeing some of the images.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Finally decided the Sony is best suited for my R glass since I probably can use all of them including the Lux 35 and Elmarit 19v2.............................................. ...........................Just for fun I took some identical shots with the Lux 35R/A900 and Lux 35asph/M9. The colors of the Sony look cooler with the same WB, or is it due to the lenses? The M shots stand out more in color and sharpness again probably due to the lenses and the fact that I am not focusing with the Sony yet. In any case, I am having a ton of fun. Haven't used my R-glass for three years or more. Ever since the first M8 came out.
    Alan
    Congratulations Alan! The Sony is well known for having "natural" or neutral colour. After the R8/9 I can understand your comments about image colour etc. It is worth taking the time to set up the camera and there is tons of advice on this forum on just how to do this. The RAW converter that you use is fairly critical too and as we all use different computers and raw conversion software this can be critical in producing the colours/sharpness that please you. I have never heard any complaints about sharpness from the A900....it's resolution is far greater than either the M8 or M9. be sure to set up the focus of your adapted lenses using the camera setting system though.

    I also moved from the R9/DMR kit with lots of R glass about 18 months ago and it didn't take me long to decide that this was the camera for me. However I invested in a lot of A mount Zeiss AF lenses which confirmed my decision and only then did I sell my Leica glass! I have never regretted my decision, having waited for the R10 which was promised and then eventually cancelled!

    I like the Sony image colour and as you say the handling is totally intuitive. Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine. Also, as I get older, I really enjoy using the fast and accurate auto focus on the A900 with which the Zeiss glass also responds very well.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Thanks for all your very helpful comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Congratulations Alan! The Sony is well known for having "natural" or neutral colour. .... The RAW converter that you use is fairly critical too and as we all use different computers and raw conversion software this can be critical in producing the colours/sharpness that please you.
    Yes, I use LR which is not ideal based on comments in this forum. I will use it for a while and switch to something else if needed later...

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    ... be sure to set up the focus of your adapted lenses using the camera setting system though.
    Is this applicable to manual focus lenses too?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I also moved from the R9/DMR kit with lots of R glass about 18 months ago and it didn't take me long to decide that this was the camera for me. However I invested in a lot of A mount Zeiss AF lenses which confirmed my decision and only then did I sell my Leica glass! I have never regretted my decision, having waited for the R10 which was promised and then eventually cancelled!
    I hear you about eyes getting older. Mine seem to get worse everyday. But I am also trying to minimize the weight of camera and lens. Auto focus vs manual, zoom vs prime, adds a lb or more. A trade-off like everything else in life. But I will definitely get a Zeiss or two. Wish they had more primes (i.e.less weight)...


    Alan

  8. #8
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Yep, weight is always a concern. I use a harness now rather than a neck strap and that has virtually eliminated the fatigue that I used to suffer after hauling a full frame DSLR with lenses around day after day.

    The zooms are very, very good in performance these days and whilst individually a little heavier than primes.....they do mean that you need to carry fewer lenses and change far less frequently, with obvious advantages.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    If you want a light weight knock around lens, look for a used Minolta 35-70/4. I am really impressed by the lens.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    I have a set of R lenses with Leitax adapters and the chips for my a900. (see my signature). I also have almost the exact same lenses (and vintages as well) for the M9 (except they are M lenses...).

    One thing that I noticed is the strikingly sharper results with the M9 compared to the a900. I suspect this has to do with the lack of an AA filter, rather than anything else. I only say this because you mentioned doing a side-by-side comparison. In real terms, the sharpness of the a900 with the R lenses is not in any way lacking, but careful comparison will probably show the M setup beating the a900 pretty easily.

    The a900 is a fantastic platform for the R lenses. I feel it has the best viewfinder (but not perfect) of any modern SLR camera, and the color rendering of the camera is most excellent.

    I've tossed around the idea of selling the a900 now that I have the M9 working, but at this point I feel that I am still making better images with the a900, so it will remain in my bag for a little while longer at least. And besides, the M9 isn't the best camera for every application; sometimes there is a need for an SLR for longer lenses, etc.

    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Bill - Thanks for that input. I was also considering the 24-105.
    I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself. Leitex would only do it themselves due to the ROM being attached to the barrel rather than the mount. Shipping to Spain is way too expensive. I am having him do my 80-200 f4, but the total cost including shipping is more than the lens really deserves.

    Michael - So far I have not noticed any sharpness issue compared to the M9. I think my manual focusing with the stock screen is the real culprit. I will be getting the matt screen or the split image one from Brightscreen. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

    Dave - which harness are you using? Sounds like a good alternative.

    Alan

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I'm not sure about R models before the R8/R9, but I thought the R8 was designed by Leica designers and engineers in Germany.
    I stand corrected.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_R8

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine. Also, as I get older, I really enjoy using the fast and accurate auto focus on the A900 with which the Zeiss glass also responds very well.
    Same experience here. I also miss the 180 APO a lot.

  14. #14
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Bill - Thanks for that input. I was also considering the 24-105.
    I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself. Leitex would only do it themselves due to the ROM being attached to the barrel rather than the mount. Shipping to Spain is way too expensive. I am having him do my 80-200 f4, but the total cost including shipping is more than the lens really deserves.

    Michael - So far I have not noticed any sharpness issue compared to the M9. I think my manual focusing with the stock screen is the real culprit. I will be getting the matt screen or the split image one from Brightscreen. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

    Dave - which harness are you using? Sounds like a good alternative.

    Alan
    Alan I am using the "Safari" trekking harness made in France. The UK distributor is Just Ltd. It cost me 30.00 including UK tax. The belt includes a top quick snap fastening for binoculars, removeable if not required, the main camera quick snap fastenings with loose matching fastenings to attach to the camera and a spare set to attach to your usual neckstrap should you not want to always be using the full harness.

    Having put the link up, http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/images/...158WebDual.jpg

    I have just noticed that the price has gone up to 39.95 inc. tax. I think that I was lucky having the very first one the UK before the dealer had set his prices! The full dealer web site is:
    http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/index.php
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Bill - Thanks for that input. I was also considering the 24-105.
    I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself.
    The 35-70/4 ROM is the next lens I have to convert. Let me know how it goes. I have debated whether to convert it or sell it, but it was such an amazing lens on the DMR I'm curious to see how it does on the Sony.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    ....Having put the link up, http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/images/...158WebDual.jpg

    I have just noticed that the price has gone up to 39.95 inc. tax. I think that I was lucky having the very first one the UK before the dealer had set his prices! The full dealer web site is:
    http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/index.php
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it would really help with the weight if one plans to lug a DSLR plus auto zoom all day. I just looked it up on Amazon and the lowest price in the US is $28.99!

    Alan

  17. #17
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it would really help with the weight if one plans to lug a DSLR plus auto zoom all day. I just looked it up on Amazon and the lowest price in the US is $28.99!

    Alan
    Now that doesn't really surprise me! Everything is usually more expensive in the UK! When you think that I can fly to Paris from Southampton Airport in less than an hour too!

    However I really can recommend this harness. I have worn it for several full days with the A900 plus a 200-500 lens, stalking deer in the New Forest and it really stops that aching neck and fatigue that I suffered with just a neck strap. It was a shock absorbing neck strap at that.

    l have also used it in the Caribbean in much hotter temperatures all day and it doesn't cause the sweating experienced with carrying a rucksack on your back. The actual re-inforced triangle on the back is not large enough to cause this sort of discomfort I suppose. Perhaps I should add that I am an average built (for a European) septuagenarian!
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 13th May 2010 at 01:46.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    I did the 35-70 and the rom has to be loosened by removing the screws. After doing so there is just enough slack that it hangs harmlessly right below the adapter and the chip. I used one of the ebay adapters and it focuses to infinity exactly right out of the box. I used a chip from big-is that has adjustable aperture and custom focal length at 70mm.

    Which ebay vendor did you get the adapter from. Does it have a slot already cut in the blade to tqke the chip? If not you might want to try one that does as both of mine fit the 35-70 and 80-200 with no problems at all.

    Mike

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Bill - Thanks for that input. I was also considering the 24-105.
    I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself. Leitex would only do it themselves due to the ROM being attached to the barrel rather than the mount. Shipping to Spain is way too expensive. I am having him do my 80-200 f4, but the total cost including shipping is more than the lens really deserves.

    Michael - So far I have not noticed any sharpness issue compared to the M9. I think my manual focusing with the stock screen is the real culprit. I will be getting the matt screen or the split image one from Brightscreen. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

    Dave - which harness are you using? Sounds like a good alternative.

    Alan

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by docmaas View Post
    I did the 35-70 and the rom has to be loosened by removing the screws. After doing so there is just enough slack that it hangs harmlessly right below the adapter and the chip. I used one of the ebay adapters and it focuses to infinity exactly right out of the box. I used a chip from big-is that has adjustable aperture and custom focal length at 70mm.

    Which ebay vendor did you get the adapter from. Does it have a slot already cut in the blade to tqke the chip? If not you might want to try one that does as both of mine fit the 35-70 and 80-200 with no problems at all.

    Mike
    Mike, thanks for the info. I got mine from one that ships from the US. There is a slot cut in it, but the mount to the camera has a little play. No real harm but I would like it to be tighter. Does yours have any play? Interesting that you can just leave the ROM hanging there. I will try that.

    Alan

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Mine has no play. Here's a current link for the source:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Mount-Le...ht_3649wt_1038

    i-source-global_store is the vendor name in case the link fails. I tried another as well but it had no slot for the chip.



    Mike

    Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Mike, thanks for the info. I got mine from one that ships from the US. There is a slot cut in it, but the mount to the camera has a little play. No real harm but I would like it to be tighter. Does yours have any play? Interesting that you can just leave the ROM hanging there. I will try that.

    Alan

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Thanks Mike. Just ordered one.

    Alan

    Quote Originally Posted by docmaas View Post
    Mine has no play. Here's a current link for the source:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Mount-Le...ht_3649wt_1038

    i-source-global_store is the vendor name in case the link fails. I tried another as well but it had no slot for the chip.



    Mike

  22. #22
    lightdreamer
    Guest

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
    Same experience here. I also miss the 180 APO a lot.
    Try to get a good exmaple of a used Minolta AF 2.8/200 G APO HS.

    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-...HS_lens78.html

    IMHO nothing but a exceptional lens.

    Greetings

    lightdreamer

  23. #23
    lightdreamer
    Guest

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I like the Sony image colour and as you say the handling is totally intuitive. Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine.
    There are several options in this range:

    I recommend the Sony/Minolta 2.8/100mm a very,
    very good lens.

    I step cheaper but also very good the Tamron SP 2.8/90.

    Also good optical the two Sigmas here
    2.8/105 and 2.8/70mm, but Sigma lenses not seldom
    show gearing problems.

    And never forget to MicroAdjust AF with this lenses,
    it makes a big difference!

    Greetings

    lightdreamer

  24. #24
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Hi Lightdeamer

    I have the 100/2.8 Sony macro and have used it for 18months or so now on the A900 and whilst it is a good lens it does not have the same IQ as the Leica R100/2.8 macro, IMHO.

    I quite like the look of the Tamron A fit lenses. I use the Tamron 200-500 extensively for wildlife work, it is exceptionally sharp even handheld. I have heard good results for their 90 Macro, so might give that one a go too.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Another macro that is sublime for little money but you will need an adapter is the Mamiya 645 120mm f4. It goes to 1:1 without tubes, is probably APO, weighs around 750 grams and takes 67mm filters.

    Second the opinion of the Minolta 200 f2.8 APO, just a fabulous lens, also light and has two great TC options: 1.4 and 2.0. You can also use so far 'under-priced' Contax lenses with Leitax mounts; many alt users prefer these to the Leica R series due to the 3D effect (contour definition) they deliver. Also very light and most take a common filter size, these make for great field lenses, esp. the 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8 and 35-70/3.4. Plus of course the 21/2.8.

    The A900 will need sharpening (AA), but very little, to deliver to anyone's satisfaction. The Sony has a great sensor and its files are extremely robust for post processing.

  26. #26
    nsng
    Guest

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    Hi,

    A few months ago I decided to make a move to using the A850 with my R lenses. I have been using a R8/DMR combination for 4 years and I have been very satisfied with the results. However, I felt it was time I moved to a ff DSLR using these fine R lenses. So far I have converted 2 lenses, the 19mm Elmarit 2nd ver and the 28mm Elmarit 1st ver.

    The colours from the DMR files reminded me of Kodachrome. May be this is due to the 16-bit colour from the DMR. Moreover, with the CCD sensor without the AA filter, there seemed to be greater sharpness straight from the camera. I think there might be greater micro-contrast as well.

    The A850 RAW files look more neutral. But with the appropriate pp, the tonality is easily adjusted to one's taste. The 24 MPx sensor has better DR and stands up to greater enlargement.

    The ff sensor is also showing up the age of some of the older R lenses. For example, the 28mm Elmarit 1st ver,has to be stoped down to 5.6 or 8.0 to have decent edge and corner performance. The corner performance with the DMR was not an issue as the crop factor is 1.37.

    Here is a link to some of my A850+R lenses test files, http://nns555.zenfolio.com/p38431480

    N.S. Ng

  27. #27
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

    I finally did a decent direct comparison of comparable lenses on the Sony a900 and the Leica M9...

    In this case, 24mm lenses, (Minolta 24mm RS, Leica 24mm R, and Leica 24mm elmarit on the M9).

    It's pretty easy to see the improvement that the M9 and M lens gets you. Shocking, really, how big the difference is. Not that the Minolta or Leica R lenses are the best available today, but the AA filter on the a900 probably is responsible for some of the difference. The rest is probably due to the much more retrofocus nature of the two SLR lenes.

    The difference may be smaller for 90mm lenses, as these don't need to be designed retrofocus to accommodate the mirror, but I suspect there will still be substantial differences due to the AA filter.

    You can see the basic results here:

    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...6&postcount=15


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •