The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First 48hrs with A900 and R glass

apsheng

Finally decided the Sony is best suited for my R glass since I probably can use all of them including the Lux 35 and Elmarit 19v2. So took the plunge and bought an A900 from a forum member as well as a cheap R to Sony mount from eBay. And yes, the Lux 35 clears the A900 mirror. So far I have tried the mount on both the 35 and the 80/1.4. There is a little play so I am ordering more mounts from Leitex.

I can only shoot in manual without the chip. But SteadySHot seems to work ok. The stock screen is a bit difficult to focus for me. But the built-in adjustable diopter is such a convenience. Why can't the M9 have one?

Just for fun I took some identical shots with the Lux 35R/A900 and Lux 35asph/M9. The colors of the Sony look cooler with the same WB, or is it due to the lenses? The M shots stand out more in color and sharpness again probably due to the lenses and the fact that I am not focusing with the Sony yet. In any case, I am having a ton of fun. Haven't used my R-glass for three years or more. Ever since the first M8 came out.

BTW, I thought the camera was self-destructing whenever I turn in on or off until I realized it was the dust shaker at work LOL.:D

Alan

Hi Alan,

Congratulations on the A900! Forgive me here as I'm not sure of your history with the camera. Make sure you are using the M screen, it makes a big difference. Second, make sure you tell David at Leitax what lenses you will use for each mount and ask him to optimize the mount for the lens. He should be able to tweak the mount to eliminate play, but that may take extra time.

The A900 is a great platform for manual focus lenses and IMO feels a lot like the Leica R bodies. Take time to learn to use the light meter on the camera and familiarize yourself with Uni white balance. There are a lot of threads here on both. Pay particular attention to the advice from Hardloaf. Andrey has done the research to back up his recommendations.

apsheng

Thanks Bill for your advice. Yes I am a novice with the A900. So lots to learn, especfially post processing DSLR shots. I did tell David what lenses I am using. So hopefully the mounts will be tight. I am just happy that I can use all my R glasses again, including the Lux 35.

Alan

bensonga

I'm not sure about R models before the R8/R9, but I thought the R8 was designed by Leica designers and engineers in Germany.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/camera/page46.html

I wish I had an extra set of Leica R lenses that I'd be willing to commit to another camera platform, whether the Sony or Nikon (using the Leitax adapters). I just haven't be willing to give up on using my small set of R lenses with my R8 yet.....so when I want the digital image files, I'm using them on a Panny G1 with an adapter. It's a decent setup, but a far cry from an A900 I'm sure.

Look forward to hearing more about your experience with the R glass on the A900 Alan.....and seeing some of the images.

Gary

dhsimmonds

Finally decided the Sony is best suited for my R glass since I probably can use all of them including the Lux 35 and Elmarit 19v2.........................................................................Just for fun I took some identical shots with the Lux 35R/A900 and Lux 35asph/M9. The colors of the Sony look cooler with the same WB, or is it due to the lenses? The M shots stand out more in color and sharpness again probably due to the lenses and the fact that I am not focusing with the Sony yet. In any case, I am having a ton of fun. Haven't used my R-glass for three years or more. Ever since the first M8 came out.
Alan
Congratulations Alan! The Sony is well known for having "natural" or neutral colour. After the R8/9 I can understand your comments about image colour etc. It is worth taking the time to set up the camera and there is tons of advice on this forum on just how to do this. The RAW converter that you use is fairly critical too and as we all use different computers and raw conversion software this can be critical in producing the colours/sharpness that please you. I have never heard any complaints about sharpness from the A900....it's resolution is far greater than either the M8 or M9. be sure to set up the focus of your adapted lenses using the camera setting system though.

I also moved from the R9/DMR kit with lots of R glass about 18 months ago and it didn't take me long to decide that this was the camera for me. However I invested in a lot of A mount Zeiss AF lenses which confirmed my decision and only then did I sell my Leica glass! I have never regretted my decision, having waited for the R10 which was promised and then eventually cancelled!

I like the Sony image colour and as you say the handling is totally intuitive. Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine. Also, as I get older, I really enjoy using the fast and accurate auto focus on the A900 with which the Zeiss glass also responds very well.

apsheng

Thanks for all your very helpful comments.

Congratulations Alan! The Sony is well known for having "natural" or neutral colour. .... The RAW converter that you use is fairly critical too and as we all use different computers and raw conversion software this can be critical in producing the colours/sharpness that please you.
Yes, I use LR which is not ideal based on comments in this forum. I will use it for a while and switch to something else if needed later...

... be sure to set up the focus of your adapted lenses using the camera setting system though.
Is this applicable to manual focus lenses too?

I also moved from the R9/DMR kit with lots of R glass about 18 months ago and it didn't take me long to decide that this was the camera for me. However I invested in a lot of A mount Zeiss AF lenses which confirmed my decision and only then did I sell my Leica glass! I have never regretted my decision, having waited for the R10 which was promised and then eventually cancelled!
I hear you about eyes getting older. Mine seem to get worse everyday. But I am also trying to minimize the weight of camera and lens. Auto focus vs manual, zoom vs prime, adds a lb or more. A trade-off like everything else in life. But I will definitely get a Zeiss or two. Wish they had more primes (i.e.less weight)...

Alan

dhsimmonds

Yep, weight is always a concern. I use a harness now rather than a neck strap and that has virtually eliminated the fatigue that I used to suffer after hauling a full frame DSLR with lenses around day after day.

The zooms are very, very good in performance these days and whilst individually a little heavier than primes.....they do mean that you need to carry fewer lenses and change far less frequently, with obvious advantages.;)

mjm6

I have a set of R lenses with Leitax adapters and the chips for my a900. (see my signature). I also have almost the exact same lenses (and vintages as well) for the M9 (except they are M lenses...).

One thing that I noticed is the strikingly sharper results with the M9 compared to the a900. I suspect this has to do with the lack of an AA filter, rather than anything else. I only say this because you mentioned doing a side-by-side comparison. In real terms, the sharpness of the a900 with the R lenses is not in any way lacking, but careful comparison will probably show the M setup beating the a900 pretty easily.

The a900 is a fantastic platform for the R lenses. I feel it has the best viewfinder (but not perfect) of any modern SLR camera, and the color rendering of the camera is most excellent.

I've tossed around the idea of selling the a900 now that I have the M9 working, but at this point I feel that I am still making better images with the a900, so it will remain in my bag for a little while longer at least. And besides, the M9 isn't the best camera for every application; sometimes there is a need for an SLR for longer lenses, etc.

---Michael

apsheng

Bill - Thanks for that input. I was also considering the 24-105.
I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself. Leitex would only do it themselves due to the ROM being attached to the barrel rather than the mount. Shipping to Spain is way too expensive. I am having him do my 80-200 f4, but the total cost including shipping is more than the lens really deserves.

Michael - So far I have not noticed any sharpness issue compared to the M9. I think my manual focusing with the stock screen is the real culprit. I will be getting the matt screen or the split image one from Brightscreen. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Dave - which harness are you using? Sounds like a good alternative.

Alan

Kirk Candlish

Surprisingly, I only miss the R100 macro lens and wish I hadn't parted with mine. Also, as I get older, I really enjoy using the fast and accurate auto focus on the A900 with which the Zeiss glass also responds very well.
Same experience here. I also miss the 180 APO a lot.

dhsimmonds

I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself. Leitex would only do it themselves due to the ROM being attached to the barrel rather than the mount. Shipping to Spain is way too expensive. I am having him do my 80-200 f4, but the total cost including shipping is more than the lens really deserves.

Michael - So far I have not noticed any sharpness issue compared to the M9. I think my manual focusing with the stock screen is the real culprit. I will be getting the matt screen or the split image one from Brightscreen. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan I am using the "Safari" trekking harness made in France. The UK distributor is Just Ltd. It cost me £30.00 including UK tax. The belt includes a top quick snap fastening for binoculars, removeable if not required, the main camera quick snap fastenings with loose matching fastenings to attach to the camera and a spare set to attach to your usual neckstrap should you not want to always be using the full harness.

Having put the link up, http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/images/Just-Misc/JU0158WebDual.jpg

I have just noticed that the price has gone up to £39.95 inc. tax. I think that I was lucky having the very first one the UK before the dealer had set his prices! The full dealer web site is:
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/index.php

I have the Leica (kyocera) 35-70 f4 ROM which I will try to convert myself.
The 35-70/4 ROM is the next lens I have to convert. Let me know how it goes. I have debated whether to convert it or sell it, but it was such an amazing lens on the DMR I'm curious to see how it does on the Sony.

apsheng

....Having put the link up, http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/images/Just-Misc/JU0158WebDual.jpg

I have just noticed that the price has gone up to £39.95 inc. tax. I think that I was lucky having the very first one the UK before the dealer had set his prices! The full dealer web site is:
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/index.php
Thanks for the info. Looks like it would really help with the weight if one plans to lug a DSLR plus auto zoom all day. I just looked it up on Amazon and the lowest price in the US is $28.99!

Alan

dhsimmonds

Thanks for the info. Looks like it would really help with the weight if one plans to lug a DSLR plus auto zoom all day. I just looked it up on Amazon and the lowest price in the US is $28.99!

Alan
Now that doesn't really surprise me! Everything is usually more expensive in the UK! :mad: When you think that I can fly to Paris from Southampton Airport in less than an hour too!:confused:

However I really can recommend this harness. I have worn it for several full days with the A900 plus a 200-500 lens, stalking deer in the New Forest and it really stops that aching neck and fatigue that I suffered with just a neck strap. It was a shock absorbing neck strap at that.

l have also used it in the Caribbean in much hotter temperatures all day and it doesn't cause the sweating experienced with carrying a rucksack on your back. The actual re-inforced triangle on the back is not large enough to cause this sort of discomfort I suppose. Perhaps I should add that I am an average built (for a European) septuagenarian!

Last edited:

docmaas

I did the 35-70 and the rom has to be loosened by removing the screws. After doing so there is just enough slack that it hangs harmlessly right below the adapter and the chip. I used one of the ebay adapters and it focuses to infinity exactly right out of the box. I used a chip from big-is that has adjustable aperture and custom focal length at 70mm.

Which ebay vendor did you get the adapter from. Does it have a slot already cut in the blade to tqke the chip? If not you might want to try one that does as both of mine fit the 35-70 and 80-200 with no problems at all.

Mike

Alan

apsheng

I did the 35-70 and the rom has to be loosened by removing the screws. After doing so there is just enough slack that it hangs harmlessly right below the adapter and the chip. I used one of the ebay adapters and it focuses to infinity exactly right out of the box. I used a chip from big-is that has adjustable aperture and custom focal length at 70mm.

Which ebay vendor did you get the adapter from. Does it have a slot already cut in the blade to tqke the chip? If not you might want to try one that does as both of mine fit the 35-70 and 80-200 with no problems at all.

Mike
Mike, thanks for the info. I got mine from one that ships from the US. There is a slot cut in it, but the mount to the camera has a little play. No real harm but I would like it to be tighter. Does yours have any play? Interesting that you can just leave the ROM hanging there. I will try that.

Alan

docmaas

Mine has no play. Here's a current link for the source:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Mount-L...daptors_ET&hash=item4ceb95a8a8#ht_3649wt_1038

i-source-global_store is the vendor name in case the link fails. I tried another as well but it had no slot for the chip.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the info. I got mine from one that ships from the US. There is a slot cut in it, but the mount to the camera has a little play. No real harm but I would like it to be tighter. Does yours have any play? Interesting that you can just leave the ROM hanging there. I will try that.

Alan