The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looks like the NEX needs some new firmware

V

Vivek

Thanks for that link, Terry.

After the G1 and the NX10, I am cautious with any company (other than Panasonic) coming with another mirrorless system cam.

The NX10 is just sitting idly while my G1s are having a thorough work out everyday.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Does not sound too good for the NEXxyz.

I do not undertand why a company like Sony develops something like this from the scratch, knowing what the market wants (EVF) and what is needed for serious photographers and then this is the outcome. I only can assume this is heavily driven by some marketing departments inside Sony, because technology wise they would have everything to build just "THE CAMERA".

dhsimmonds

The NEX concept is brilliant but it needs some extensive "tweeks" to make it acceptable to serious photographers. Maybe the rumoured NEX 7 will be just that, as the A700 was in the established Alpha range.

If so, the NEX 9 will blow our socks off!:ROTFL: The NEX range is here to stay IMHO and we shall see more E fit lenses. Not quite what I want yet though.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The NEX concept is brilliant but it needs some extensive "tweeks" to make it acceptable to serious photographers. Maybe the rumoured NEX 7 will be just that, as the A700 was in the established Alpha range.

If so, the NEX 9 will blow our socks off!:ROTFL: The NEX range is here to stay IMHO and we shall see more E fit lenses. Not quite what I want yet though.
There is hope at least ;)

jonoslack

Well
As I understand it the NEX has been developed by the consumer division - nothing to do with the division producing the A cameras.

Around here we all see the marketplace for the EVF mirrorless cameras to be US - people who want to experiment with different lenses and who are largely traditional photographs (what would we do without M mode!).

I suspect that this demographic is only a small part of the m4/3 customers, and that Sony (and probably Samsung as well) see it as pretty irrelevant.

Their expected customers are people moving up from their own digicams, people who have learned to let the camera take the pictures, which is just what the NEX is designed for.

I guess someone will make an M adaptor, but I can't see that it'll be much use to anyone.

Martin S

It sounds like a major firmware upgrade would be necessary to permit even slightly experienced users to avoid the tedious GUI to permit more manual operation.

It seems that Sony was not interested in anyone but a user transitioning from the Point and Shoot world to buy this camera.

I wonder, can this rather extensive change be done with only a firmware "upgrade."?????

Martin

jonoslack

It sounds like a major firmware upgrade would be necessary to permit even slightly experienced users to avoid the tedious GUI to permit more manual operation.

It seems that Sony was not interested in anyone but a user transitioning from the Point and Shoot world to buy this camera.

I wonder, can this rather extensive change be done with only a firmware "upgrade."?????

Martin
Whether it could or couldn't is probably moot. I'd be astonished if Sony attempted anything like it. Seems to me that the only hope of useability is a NEX 7 (or 9) with a few more buttons and bits.

all the best

V

Vivek

As I mentioned a while ago, going by Sony's history, these will retail for ~60% their initial list price, very soon.

I am in no hurry at all.

By the time I get around to buying anything NEX, the adapters I want would also be available from the usual sources at reasonable prices.

A win win situation.:thumbs:

Martin S

I know this sounds a bit premature since we don't know much about the NEX7 (other than an GH2 competitor). Lets hope that Sony has designed the 7 for a different market segment, and has less need for a menu driven only GUI.

Martin

Terry

I've also read lots more on line about the NEX5 and there are some real mixed feelings on the menus depending on how you shoot. I am sure for most of us there will be frustrations but if a lot of your day to day shooting is done without a lot of fuss i'm hearing it is fine. For instance:

If I am out shooting an want to use a daylight WB, Auto ISO, aperture priority it seems as though the wheel changes aperture and the one button does EV. Also using the wheel like an old iPod is supposedly a lot faster than clicking.

douglasf13

Agreed, Terry. For those shooting in A or M mode, like myself and many of the users complaining about the NEX interface, the camera isn't THAT bad. It may not be perfect, and I sure hope it improves, but it isn't keeping me from buying the thing.

I keep hearing that the camera is designed for P&S users, which may be true, but, last time I checked, many advanced users stay away from jpeg settings, etc. and really only need shutter and aperture control, which the NEX does an o.k. job with. If Sony switches the "shoot tips" soft button to ISO in A and M mode, things will be great, IMO.

p.s. i don't think Michael Reichmann realized in his review that you can shuttle quickly through settings with the scroll wheel like an iPod.

BackToSlr

I've also read lots more on line about the NEX5 and there are some real mixed feelings on the menus depending on how you shoot. I am sure for most of us there will be frustrations but if a lot of your day to day shooting is done without a lot of fuss i'm hearing it is fine. For instance:

If I am out shooting an want to use a daylight WB, Auto ISO, aperture priority it seems as though the wheel changes aperture and the one button does EV. Also using the wheel like an old iPod is supposedly a lot faster than clicking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiz-eaaLuN8

Doesn't seem that bad. Also the histogram stays up, maybe MR has some other mode set?

N

jonoslack

Interesting remarks
Different isn't necessarily bad, I'm certainly willing to be convinced about the interface.

I'll wait with baited breath for Terry's response!

all the best

Terry

Interesting remarks
Different isn't necessarily bad, I'm certainly willing to be convinced about the interface.

I'll wait with baited breath for Terry's response!

all the best
Don't turn blue....the camera won't be out until the end of June.