The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Were is the ZA 24/2?

picman

It's been months and months and months and no sign of the 24/2? :wtf:

-Marc
Personally I am beginning to be quite fed up with the way Sony treats its photography customers. You often hear Canikon fans saying that Sony is a TV company and not a camera company. Well, they are partly right in that Sony after years still does not understand that it now has to deal with two totally different groups of customers with different needs and different expectations. There is not the slightest sign of Sony that they ever listen to anything we say and there is not the slightest effort to communicate with us (remember the backstage 101 fiasco!) or keep us informed. And I am also tired of the excuses of Zeiss that they are under some kind of secret agreement with Sony which prevents them from giving more that just the barest information about the ZA lenses on their site. And I am also fed up with the fact that no reasonable explanation from either companies is given as to why no manual focus lenses can be produced for the ZA mount. There, I do often speak, and I've said my piece. Back to taking pictures now :)

fotografz

Personally, I couldn't care less if Sony ever talks to me in any way ... they have always been an arrogant company more interested in themselves and bullying the market place into "their way, or the highway". IMO, they are pretty close to a despicable big and impersonal "global" corporation, so distanced from their customer base that they might as well be headquartered on the dark side of Pluto.

If it weren't for the Zeiss lenses, the name Sony on my camera would be absolutely meaningless. IMO it would have been better if it were the Zeiss A900 : -) or if they left it as a Minolta A900.

All I give a flying freak about is where is the ZA 24/2? If you can't deliver it, don't announce it until you can. Sony showed the prototype for this lens at PMA 2007 ... which IMO makes this lens eligible for the "Dead Snail Award" with "Petrified Turtle Clusters".

BTW, where is the rumored 30+ meg replacement for the A900?

-Marc

picman

There, I do often speak, and I've said my piece. Back to taking pictures now :)
That last sentence should of course have been ... I do NOT often speak ...

And yes for me too it might better have been the Zeiss A900, or better still a resurected Contax :D

roweraay

One good thing about the CZ 24/2 is the fact that the pictures displayed during PMA had a serial# of 00000018. Which means there were others "out in the wild" at the time of the 2010 PMA.

Based on some postings elsewhere, I suspect they are re-doing the performance of the SSM motor to make it more friendly to Contrast Detect AF, which in turn would make it functional with even the new E-mount via the adapter (both for stills and video).

Now, if they had introduced an even wider CZ prime (like say an 18mm), I would frankly sell off my CZ 16-35 f/2.8 and get it instead, since I find myself constantly using the 16-35 at its wider end and for all other purposes (where an all-purpose zoom is needed), my 24-70CZ seems to be functioning as the workhorse.