The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Available adapters for NEX3/5 thread

barjohn

I posted 12 shots taken with the 16 MM in the Fun with Nex thread starting at post #455. That should give a you a pretty good idea of how the lens performs as there are several shots where you can see edge performance and geometry. Considering I inadvertently shot these at ISO 800 they are very sharp and clear. You can also compare the image quality to theLeica 40/2 set that follows.

gsking

Going past infinity is truly trivial. Use the LCD screen to check the focus. This isn't a blind cam (until the LCD fails) to be doing zone focus.

So, is all the focusing done manually through the LCD? Is there any zoom feature or any sort of confirmation?

Thanks.

V

Vivek

Yes, there is. Only a few hours ago, Terry helped me find it (for effective use) in my few days old camera.

BTW, all the OEM lenses will also focus past infinity. AF keeps them under control.

iiiNelson

I just ordered a NEX5 kit from Monza yesterday. Is there any consensus on the "best" Leica M --> Nex adapter yet? Does anyone know of a place in USA that has adapters "in stock" or a way to get them before this weekend?

roweraay

I just ordered a NEX5 kit from Monza yesterday. Is there any consensus on the "best" Leica M --> Nex adapter yet? Does anyone know of a place in USA that has adapters "in stock" or a way to get them before this weekend?
Based on reputation, I guess the Voigtlander adapter gets the nod as the "best", but at $179, is the priciest. Cameraquest sells it but stated that it will only get in stock by late August.

I ordered for the Metabones adapter and hope to receive it soon (being shipped out of Hong Kong, even though Metabones is a Japanese company). Around the net, the metabones adapter has a good reputation, even though douglasf13 was not very happy about its handling.

Others like Kipon etc are also available.

douglasf13

FYI, my metabones also focuses past infinity, which isn't a deal breaker, but I was kind of hoping it would nail it. However, unlike some adapters, the lens locks very tightly in place, which is nice.

kitsVA

Another M mount Adapter for NEX E mount.

It will nice if someone can get to check out all these adapters. The prices vary a lot and it's hard to risk buying the expensive ones without comparison reviews with the cheaper ones.

My source for the above adapter.

roweraay

FYI, my metabones also focuses past infinity, which isn't a deal breaker, but I was kind of hoping it would nail it. However, unlike some adapters, the lens locks very tightly in place, which is nice.
Got my metabones adapter today. I found the build quality to be excellent. My 35/2 Summicron looks reall tiny, when mounted on the NEX5 and they look like they belong to each other. It was a bit too late to take any pictures but I will try and take some tomorrow.

douglasf13

Agreed. The build quality is excellent, even though I did personally have problems with the size of the lens release. I find that I have to pull back focus just to the left of the infinity mark for true infinity focus. I tried to shim it, but failed at getting the right thickness a couple of times and just gave up.

On a related note, I noticed some interesting behavior with my CV 35/1.4 that I need to test more thoroughly. It seems that the extreme corners actually sharpen up when I focus PAST infinity a bit!? I wouldn't have noticed this if the adapter didn't let me focus past the infinity mark. I believe this means either one of two things. I'm crazy and I need to test the lens in a more controlled scenario, or the lens has some field curvature. I'm probably just crazy, but I'll test it some more later. Wouldn't it be hilarious if others having smearing problems at the edges with various just had adapters that weren't nailing infinity as well as they thought! :ROTFL: (kidding, i doubt it.)

I'm interested to hear how your Summicron does with purple fringing. My only complaint about the CV is that I get quite a bit of it when I have blown highlights in a contrasty setting. For example, the chrome on a bumper, or an extremely backlit subject. The source for the kind of fringing I'm getting has been debated on forums forever. Sensor? Lens? The combination? So, I'm curious how the Summicron handles it, because Leica lenses on the M8/M9 exhibit this sometimes, too. Granted, it gets a little better on mine at f2, and much better at f2.8 (or, of course, not blowing out highlights :))

Here is a link to the type of fringing I'm talking about. Mine is never this extreme: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1132982-post39.html

dhsimmonds

:eek: The examples from your link are extreme!! I have never witnessed anything like it before!!

What is interesting to me is that the author of that post over at LUF strongly believes that this is a characteristic of CCD sensors which both the M8.2 and M9 have of course. If this is so and can be corroberated why are you seeing it with a CMOS sensor?

I suspect that it is a combination of sensor and lens designs and possibly the edge photosites on the M9 exagerate this problem when the appropriate conditions exist.

I have to say that I have never witnessed anything like it on my CCD DMR Back on a Leica R9 with various R lenses or my CMOS sensored A900 with various ZA, G, Minolta and even a Tamron lens.

Either way it's not nice to see!

douglasf13

Yeah, don't get me wrong, my issues aren't even close to that extreme. I only linked that shot to illustrate the type of issues I'm having, because there can be confusion between purple fringing, longitudinal CA, lateral CA, etc. Apparently the 50 Noctilux and 24 Summilux seem to have the problem most often.

edit: Well, I feel a little better. It seems that Jono's fancy-pants Summilux can show this issue, too. :LOL: These examples are more in line with what I'm seeing, generally. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1403058-post16.html

Last edited: