Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    In fact, Sony very smartly covers the entire 16-400mm range with only 3-4 zooms, so if you like to use zooms, there is absolutely no gaps in the line up.
    Just to reiterate, it has been a short 4 years since they got this mount, and in that period, they newly released:

Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 SSM (absolutely vital for a mount)
    Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM (absolutely vital for a mount)
    Sony 70-300G f/4.5-5.6 SSM (vital for the mount)
    Sony 70-400G f/4-5.6 SSM (fills a vital hole in the mount)
    Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 (absolutely vital for a mount)
    Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 (an absolute gem and has no parallel in any other mount)
    Zeiss 24mm f/2 SSM (great addition to the mount)
    Zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 (excellent APS-C all-purpose lens)
    Sony 16-105 (great APS-C lens)
    ....and a bunch of other APS-C lenses that I am not listing here.

Flashes like the F58AM, F42AM, F20AM and so on....

Several bodies, including Full-frame bodies with built-in body-based stabilizaition.

The gaps are being filled but the zooms are absolutely mandatory for a mount, and not an option at all. The primes are being added into the holes, as we speak, if we discount the already available primes like the 16mm fisheye, the 35mm f/1.4G, the 50mm f/1.4G, the 50mm f/2.8 Macro, the 100mm f/2.8 Macro, the 135mm STF, the 300mm f/2.8G SSM etc., in addition to zooms like the 70-200 f/2.8 G SSM (I hope this zoom gets replaced with a Zeiss 70-200 f/2.8 SSM).

There is also no high quality 1:1 macro in the line up. The Sony 100 while not bad is not a top performer.
    I have no problems with the Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro of mine, which I primarily use as a walk-around "normal" on my A900. Great Full-frame 1:1 Macro lens. The 100mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro is roughly comparable to all other such macros in the market....with probably the latest Canon 100mm f/2.8 having an edge since it is newer. Sony currently lacks a 200mm 1:1 Macro and there was a rumor about a 200mm f/3.5 Zeiss Macro lens but that was a while back (don't know if that will happen).

I personally would like to have the following FF lenses: 35mm f/2 SSM (maybe keep the existing 35mm f/1.4G), 50mm f/1.4 SSM (replacement for the existing 50mm f/1.4), an ultra-wide prime (say a 14mm or 16mm or even an 18mm) and my requirements should be fully met, since I already have the other lenses like the 24-70ZA, 85ZA and 135ZA etc.

Even though a high-quality wide, ultra-wide etc are great lenses, I personally find that in some cases, I am able to shoot an entire event with a zoom like the Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 coupled with the Zeiss 85mm and the Zeiss 135mm on the A900. The 24-70 f/2.8 in particular, covers a LOT of ground, all the way from a true wide angle of 24mm that borders ultra-wide, and onto wide-normal (35mm) where all the typical wide-angle distortions are curbed for the most part and then onto "normal" (around 50mm) and then onto low-tele (70mm)....while providing constant f/2.8 through that range. But if you intend to use the 24-70 f/2.8 to shoot just landscapes or cityscapes etc., then I agree that a couple of, small, high quality primes will be the better bet here....horses for courses as they say.
    Last edited by roweraay; 4th August 2010 at 07:23.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you are right, Sony never complained in a public statement, so my wording is not very accurate. However, as you say, a lot is being said on the forums, and I personally have first hand information from Sony sales people both in Thailand and the Middle East saying that Sony management is very disappointed with the sales numbers of the A900, and even more so with the A850, that they thought would be a killer.
    Based on my conversations with a couple of premier camera retailers here in the US, the A850 in particular has been a steady seller for them and its sales have never let up ever since it was released. Seems like the market believes it is right priced (or they are getting a product at a lower-than-normal price).

And based on conversations with the above retailers, the more the folks realize that a Nikon D700X (D700 like Body with a D3X sensor) is not coming, the ones who have been adamantly sitting on the fence for the past several months are also picking up A850s.....and are starting to enjoy the goodies like stabilized 50mm, 85mm, 135mm etc primes. This includes both Nikon shooters and also other shooters from Pentax and Olympus, who too were waiting for a potential D700X and debated between the Canon 5DII and the A850 and finally went with the A850. You simply don't realize what kind of goodies Sony has actually given you, assuming you are willing to fully utilize it. There is a tendency to always believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    I think the coming Fullframe Sonys will be mirrorless and based on the NEX design. But larger due to EVF and weathersealing, battery-capacity and so on. Todays Zeiss primes and Zooms can be used via an adapter with focusmotor. New lenses will be smaller, like older Pentax and Leicas. At least I hope so, I sold my a900 with all my lenses. (using NEX5 and zoom now)
    Hope not.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think there are more advantages to such system than size alone. Think full time LV, no AF front/back focusing, AF points anywhere on the screen, video, face recognition, smile detection...
    Maybe you'll be able to play video games on it also

No thanks!

If they do that, I will move off Sony. Where to, I don't know.

-Marc

chals

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I doubt here will be a 35mm NEX anytime soon. Sony themselves say that it would require mount changes to do such a thing, and the problems with angled light at the edges of the sensor forces me to think that, if a 35mm NEX did happen, the lenses will be quite a bit larger than M lenses. It would also be odd, because the current NEX lenses' image circle doesn't cover a 35mm sensor, so they'd have to release all new lenses from scratch.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think it'll be soon, and I also don't think the lenses would be as small as one would hope. At the end of the day, we have an all new mount with lenses designed for its image circle, so the NEX is fullframe...it's just that fullframe means a 23.5x15.5 sensor in this case, and I think that is a suitable trade off in regards to system size.
    I

I hope the 35mm NEX is 3 or 4 years away equipped with a new mount larger than the a-mount of today. The body is hopefully no more than a 1cm thicker than the NEX-5 . It will still be 1/3 of Sony a900.

New lenses is a must, some of them maybe heavy zooms, other small primes. And definitly with the EVF on the left side of the camera, no more rubbing the nose against the LCD, it will be like a Leica or Rollei 35 as far as noseonomics are conserned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chals View Post
    I

I hope the 35mm NEX is 3 or 4 years away equipped with a new mount larger than the a-mount of today. The body is hopefully no more than a 1cm thicker than the NEX-5 . It will still be 1/3 of Sony a900.

New lenses is a must, some of them maybe heavy zooms, other small primes. And definitly with the EVF on the left side of the camera, no more rubbing the nose against the LCD, it will be like a Leica or Rollei 35 as far as noseonomics are conserned.
    I guess that is a possibility, although, if the lens mount is bigger than A-mount, I'm not sure that the lenses would be much smaller in overall volume. Slightly shorter and fatter, maybe? Sony will still probably make the wides retrofocus to deal with the sensor edges, so some of the length saved by removing the mirrorbox in the camera body may end up in the lens itself. I guess we'll see.

chals

I guess that is a possibility, although, if the lens mount is bigger than A-mount, I'm not sure that the lenses would be much smaller in overall volume. Slightly shorter and fatter, maybe? Sony will still probably make the wides retrofocus to deal with the sensor edges, so some of the length saved by removing the mirrorbox in the camera body may end up in the lens itself. I guess we'll see.
    The future will be visible when a compact Zeiss 85mm 1.8 or 2.5 appear on the NEX5 (with a compact EVF)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, the teles will be quite compact. It's the wides that I'm concerned about.

chals

Agreed, the teles will be quite compact. It's the wides that I'm concerned about.
    I forgot the wides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Despite the rumors, which I personally find both vicious and troubling, for most of us the investment into the Sony full-frame Alpha system isn't a short-lived event. With current mid- and top-end bodies, product cycles have been extended to around 3 years and Sony full-frame photographers will remain quite happy for years to come. In fact, the new Sony SAM 85mm f2.8 appears to be the first of a compact line of excellent optics. [note: the link to Amateur Photographer requires that you query for "Sony 85mm" to find the July 27 preview of this and the Zeiss 24mm lens] and it weighs only 175 grams. I hope it is followed by a compact 35mm f2.0 or 2.8 as a travel set, perhaps joined by a classic 135mm f2.8. I still have an ancient Nikon D3 and my 5DII is middle-aged but doing quite well. That's my rational side. My other persona checks the rumor-blogs almost daily for hints of the next "upgrade" in the Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax systems. I only recently upgraded my P25 (to a P65+) which was still my best quality imager, although it was five years old. There is plenty of time for Sony to keep the full-frame Alpha line alive for years to come and I am not going to panic and sell.
    Last edited by engel001; 4th August 2010 at 11:09.

Andrea Buso

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Peter - D100,D2x,D3,D700 a plethora of lenses (14-24,24-70,70-200 and a number of primes), and I was never, once, satisfied with the colour for landscapes, especially in evening light.. The A900 has been a wonderful relief, the colour is Always right, the focus is slow . . . but really accurate . . the Zeiss lenses are so much nicer than the Nikon equivalents, and it's small compared to the only real Nikon alternative (D3x). Sure, the Nikons are better at low light - but then I have the gorgeous 135 f1.8.

There are few things certain in this world, but the fact that I won't EVER return to Nikon is one of them!
    + 1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Buso View Post
    + 1
    Andrea
    How the devil are you? Flourishing I hope?
    Long time no speak, and it's lovely to see you in this (mostly) civilised folks.

WELCOME

all the best

Just this guy you know

Andrea Buso

Andrea
    How the devil are you? Flourishing I hope?
    Long time no speak, and it's lovely to see you in this (mostly) civilised folks.

WELCOME

all the best
    Hello, I'm doing pretty well thank you!

After reading about the "end of the world" on this thread, I went to look at your galleries and got a breath of fresh air looking at images of very good taste.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the end of the world might have been exaggerated and premature

Here is the headline:
    Sony increases production capacity for image sensors including back-illuminated and large sized CMOS image sensors

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...image-sensors/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well the end of the world might have been exaggerated and premature

Here is the headline:
    Sony increases production capacity for image sensors including back-illuminated and large sized CMOS image sensors

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...image-sensors/
    unfortunately, i don't see anything in there that makes it sounded like FF sensors will be made there. from the description it sounds like everything from smart phone to aps-c sensors, but nothing indicating FF (which, incidently is usually made in older fabs i believe).

in any event i doubt we will know for sure for another year. if sony really has recently decided to stop producing FF sensors they would probably not cancel projects that were significantly advanced (money already spent ought, to get something out of it). thus, we will still probably get one new sensor or at least one new body even if FF is now canceled. there is also the possibility that sony has simply decided to contract out their production of FF sensors not cancel their FF line (or that all this is just a nasty hoax).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    .....we will still probably get one new sensor or at least one new body even if FF is now canceled. there is also the possibility that sony has simply decided to contract out their production of FF sensors not cancel their FF line (or that all this is just a nasty hoax).
    If there has been a cancellation, we will not see a single product sporting a FF sensor in the future. If we see a product with a Sony FF sensor in the future, you can bet your bottom dollar that this "rumor" was bull-crap, even though it was cunningly suggested within the "rumor", that the products already "in the pipeline" might still come through, thus covering his backside for the near-term.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    If there has been a cancellation, we will not see a single product sporting a FF sensor in the future. If we see a product with a Sony FF sensor in the future, you can bet your bottom dollar that this "rumor" was bull-crap, even though it was cunningly suggested within the "rumor", that the products already "in the pipeline" might still come through, thus covering his backside for the near-term.
    I think you're right . . . anyway, I thought we'd all decided that this was viral marketing by someone associated with Nikon (I don't mean Thom Hogan, who is, I'm sure, as honest as the day is long).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    not sure why you are so sure about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Of course if Sony or Nikon or Canon had to go online and tell folks a specific rumour, regardless of how damaging it is, is false, then you would expect this every time, and i am pretty sure they do not care what we think as far as false rumours or any for that matter is concerned.

My kudos to Pentax' openness in sort of a similar rumor situation.
    Here is Mike Johnston's interview with Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax Imaging USA.
    At the beginning of the interview Ned Bunnell comments on a nasty discontinuation rumor about the Limited lenses.
    A very wise move to openly comment on such stuff in order to avoid customer decisions based on doubt and fear.
    I admire Ned Bunnell, he seems very straightforward. Like a true leader should be in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did anyone get any comments from Sony at photokina in September about the future for the so-called Full Frame format (24x36mm) in the Alpha system ?

Or have any of you seen any answers to that question - or just hints - in interviews with Sony ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jorgen
    I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree - we live in a changing world, and I wonder about Sony's ambitions to get into the professional market.
    While I am also about agreeing that it is very likely that Sony will stop FF in their DSLRs, I would not say that they cannot make a professional DSLR (even mirrorless) with a smaller sensor. I do not know the Sony lineup pretty good, but I am pretty sure there is a Crop DSLR which matches pro requirements. As there is at Nikon (D300s, D7000) and Canon (60D? ...).

Interesting evolution as sensor design progresses and matures over the years. Today a Crop sensor with the right optics can deliver images qualities which were only possible in the best pro DSLRs a few years ago.

Another one comes to my mind - Olympus with their E5. I meanwhile looked into this camera and its possibilities much closer and I must say I am slightly overwhelmed. Pair their design with the absolutely great Pro Level Zuikos and you have a killing and winning combo. And all that with just a small 43 sensor. And there is room for improvement, as the sensor of the GH2 with 18 (16) MP shows. As there is for sure in the APSC sensors as well.

So maybe sensor size is no longer the real issue for the future. We are seeing every year so many improvements in sensor design, that slowly we are reaching the flat and stable part of the curve. Who needs more than 15-20MP if not for high resolution large prints ??? What most photographers rather need is smaller and lighter gear with good performance - see that success of M43 and NEX. Which BTW makes me wonder why we did not see NEX like cameras from Nikon and Canon so far ?????

Interesting future.

I myself am almost ready to go back to 43 with the E5 and have this system parallel to the Hasselblad, which I can use for real high resolution - till maybe 43 reaches some 40MPs - never say never - everything can happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony isn't going to stop fullframe camera production anytime soon, IMO. There has been no indication of it, outside of that Thom Hogan guesswork.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony isn't going to stop fullframe camera production anytime soon, IMO. There has been no indication of it, outside of that Thom Hogan guesswork.
    I completely agree, Douglas! Looking back at 3 or 4 months of this thread, it's amazing how one unsubstantiated rumour can generate so much on-line discussion!

There is no indication AT ALL from Sony that they are contemplating the worst fears expressed here.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    There is no indication AT ALL from Sony that they are contemplating the worst fears expressed here.
    Bill
    Bill, I totally agree! The A900 must be one of those very rare exceptions in the DSLR world....as far as I am aware there has been no new firmware versions since the camera was introduced.....neither have I seen much clamouring for any by users. Sure the A850 came afterwards but still in parallel with the 900.

I heard on fairly good authority that once the 3 and 5 series were updated the much awaited A700 replacement and then the A900 would be introduced in 2011...the A700 being next on the list.

The A580 is the last of the 5 series and by all accounts it's a cracker of a camera so hopefully the A700/900 will also be very worthwhile improvements on what are already first class pro quality cameras.

Meanwhile the much awaited A300mm G full frame lens should soon be launched...what does that tell us?!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I agree it is amazing what comes out of rumors. Having said that it is not a complete rumor, because it is based on an official statement of an employee of Sony - right - and we all know Sony's history with advanced and leading technologies: Betamax, Videodisc, etc.....

Hoping this will not happen to their FF DSLR line is a different thing and actually I do not hop it happens, also I am out of Sony DSLRs for the moment because I had my serious reasons to do so. And it also does not help if we learn out of his thread that Nikon is not using Sony chips for their sensors, because then the Sony FF sensor market is sill smaller than expected.

If they would really take the FF Pro DSLR serious, then we would see at least some FW updates for their A900 or meanwhile also a new model based on whatever new chip technology. But there is nothing. Instead they are trying to get number 1 in mirror less (NEX and A33/55) which is BTW a great thing and maybe the real future for DSLR, if only EVFs become better!

WRT FF 300 lens - well this is kind of ridiculous as Nikon and Canon have such glass in their - maybe 5th - generation and Sony manages to bring their 1st ?? And what about 2.8 / 400 and some high speed 500 and 600 ?? And not to speak about some of these lenses coming from Zeiss, who would have these designs ready since years???? Lot of ?????? Right?

Just my 5c.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter

First of all a correction is required regarding my preceding post...it should have mentioned the already announced but not yet launched A500 G lens..not 300, sorry about that.

Secondly, Zeiss are not known for their long focal length AF SLR lenses, which as a wildlife shooter is a great pity but I doubt if I would ba able to lift them let alone handhold them when attached to an A900!

Canon and Nikon have a lot of history whereas Sony are the new boys on the block regardless or because of their old Minolta stable they are still developing their lens range, albeit slowly, I would agree.

On the camera development front, Sony seem to be leading the pack and if they can transfer some of the innovations to the high end 700/900 ranges, we are IMHO in for a real treat.

Personally, I have never found the Sony lens range to be inhibiting at all.

There is a superb range of third party Alpha fit lenses available for the longer stuff and whilst one has to be careful as all lens ranges have their "dogs"; I can honestly say for instance, that my Tamron 200/500 zoom is sharper than my much acclaimed Sony 70-400 G. Whether this is a weight factor or not I have yet to determine...the 70-400 G is also not as robustly built.

I have encountered a lot of "label snobbery" when it comes to lenses and cameras come to that. As far as I am concerned it's the resulting images that matter to me and not the label!

If you are happy with your Nikon, then I am pleased for you. I do not use Nikon and so I would never dream of posting on the Nikon section of this forum....or even ever reading it!
    Cheers, Dave

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just bought into this system with a 850, 24-70 and 135mm so it better not be going anywhere. LOL

Actually I need a good 200mm and trying to figure out a good solution for that. Gear slut strikes again. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two excellent lenses to start with Guy!

I have both of 'em, heavy but great performance. The 24-70 vignettes slightly at the widest setting so watch the filter rim size. Strangely the 16-35 doesn't at all and it's another great Zeiss lens.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, Peter, Peter ... I'm sure your enthusiasm for Nikon is well founded.

Personally, I couldn't professionally justify a pair of $7,000. to $8,000. bodies against two A900s for less that half that investment. There are much better places to spend that capital. I had the D3X and nano coated lenses ... a very nice camera if you had the time to tease and tickle the files to get the most out of them ... where the A900 delivers it out of the camera most of the time, and has miles of data room to tease and tickle if you so wish ... which in my case is close to never needed, and even less desired.

I'd also agree that Nikon has made great strides in the lens department, and that Zeiss isn't an immediate guarantee of superior optics in comparison. However, every ZA lens is stabilized ... especially the workhorse lenses that put bread on the table, and "bread" in the bank account.
    I'd disagree with your fervor for the 70-200 VR-II ... no visual evidence that it out performs the Sony 70-200/2.8APO.

Spend less, get more ... that's a camera statistic I favor over Brand wars and all that other internet opinionated nonsense. Leaves more cash for investment in stuff that DOES murder all 35mm DSLRs in IQ, or other photographic attributes ... the MFD gear, and Leica M goodies.

My 1¢ worth

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

@ Dave,

nothing is further away from me than to feel happy if Sony stops FF. That would mean another competitor less, which is always bad for the whole business.

Unfortunately I have been through many camera brands (analog as well as digital), so I have some experience with those I had - Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Leica, Sony (Minolta), Contax - hope I did not forget one Gearslut - I know.

And believe me, if Sony comes with a nice next FF DSLR and Nikon does not I would be switching back to Sony faster as you could think

If I am one thing, it is that I am NOT gear agnostic

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Bill, I totally agree! The A900 must be one of those very rare exceptions in the DSLR world....as far as I am aware there has been no new firmware versions since the camera was introduced.....neither have I seen much clamouring for any by users.
    Funny, after all this time (and perhaps because an 850/900 replacement may be a ways off), i saw this the other day....well the whiners on DPReview have been clamoring for one.....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-s...-really-exist/

"And here I am again with the next A850/A900 firmware rumor. Sony was expected to release that firmware a few months ago but as I learned from my sources Sony had many problems with the “old” minolta software architecture of the A850/A900. I confess that I thought we would never see a new firmware for these cameras. But a few weeks ago I received a new rumor and it looks like the impossible will (finally) become possible. The Sony Santa Claus will make a (well deserved) present for every A850 and A900 owners!

UPDATE: Another source said that “there are 4 updates which will come to A850/900 firmware. Most of them is exposure compensation, AF performance and Release w/lens in menu option..”

There are three reasons why Sony releases the firmware:
    1) To improve the autofocus performance and to give a big image quality boost! This is a major upgrade (I have been told). I hope this will bring the cameras closer to the Nikon D3X performance.
    2) To push the christmas sales.
    3) This is also a message to current users that Sony takes care of you and will support and soon expand the fullframe system!"

So let’s cross the finger and hope that the firmware will REALLY be announced soon and REALLY bring some major improvement! Thanks Sony!
    Stay tuned on SonyAlphaRumors! I hope to get some more details soon…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Peter, Peter, Peter ... I'm sure your enthusiasm for Nikon is well founded.

Personally, I couldn't professionally justify a pair of $7,000. to $8,000. bodies against two A900s for less that half that investment. There are much better places to spend that capital. I had the D3X and nano coated lenses ... a very nice camera if you had the time to tease and tickle the files to get the most out of them ... where the A900 delivers it out of the camera most of the time, and has miles of data room to tease and tickle if you so wish ... which in my case is close to never needed, and even less desired.

I'd also agree that Nikon has made great strides in the lens department, and that Zeiss isn't an immediate guarantee of superior optics in comparison. However, every ZA lens is stabilized ... especially the workhorse lenses that put bread on the table, and "bread" in the bank account.
    I'd disagree with your fervor for the 70-200 VR-II ... no visual evidence that it out performs the Sony 70-200/2.8APO.

Spend less, get more ... that's a camera statistic I favor over Brand wars and all that other internet opinionated nonsense. Leaves more cash for investment in stuff that DOES murder all 35mm DSLRs in IQ, or other photographic attributes ... the MFD gear, and Leica M goodies.

My 1¢ worth

-Marc
    Marc,

I am pretty happy with my Nikon - and I cannot share what many others say - colors out of the box are perfect, as is WB as is exposure. So I can not understand what you were missing, but maybe this was with earlier FW. On the other side I must say that I always tweaked around color from my A900 images.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Funny, after all this time (and perhaps because an 850/900 replacement may be a ways off), i saw this the other day....well the whiners on DPReview have been clamoring for one.....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-s...-really-exist/

"And here I am again with the next A850/A900 firmware rumor. Sony was expected to release that firmware a few months ago but as I learned from my sources Sony had many problems with the “old” minolta software architecture of the A850/A900. I confess that I thought we would never see a new firmware for these cameras. But a few weeks ago I received a new rumor and it looks like the impossible will (finally) become possible. The Sony Santa Claus will make a (well deserved) present for every A850 and A900 owners!

UPDATE: Another source said that “there are 4 updates which will come to A850/900 firmware. Most of them is exposure compensation, AF performance and Release w/lens in menu option..”

There are three reasons why Sony releases the firmware:
    1) To improve the autofocus performance and to give a big image quality boost! This is a major upgrade (I have been told). I hope this will bring the cameras closer to the Nikon D3X performance.
    2) To push the christmas sales.
    3) This is also a message to current users that Sony takes care of you and will support and soon expand the fullframe system!"

So let’s cross the finger and hope that the firmware will REALLY be announced soon and REALLY bring some major improvement! Thanks Sony!
    Stay tuned on SonyAlphaRumors! I hope to get some more details soon…
    Good signs, perfect.

But one thing I unfortunately will not happen - get near the AF performance of the D3X. This is simply not possible with the HW implementation of the A900. I would love to see an advanced AF from Sony in future models though.

If they really can bring their act together, that would mean a lot to the competition in the area of FF Pro DSLRs, which only can be good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I just bought into this system with a 850, 24-70 and 135mm so it better not be going anywhere. LOL

Actually I need a good 200mm and trying to figure out a good solution for that. Gear slut strikes again. LOL
    Guy,

hope you are happy with that gear! I had the 70-200 and this was a good lens, especially if you think how old that design is. I cannot say that the latest Nikkor 70-200 VRII would be better, I think they are pretty on par. And the Nikkor is s great performer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the ergos' on this thing. In truth this is a shooters cam with regards to the layout. Obviously big and heavy compared to others in a sense but for 2k it is the cheapest FF out there so given that some things you just ignore. LOL

I did not want to go very deep financially into 35mm since my primary is MF but so far it seems very nice. I need to get out and shoot. I was planning on taking my son with the A33 and 850 up to a copper mining town and teach him a few things and shoot the 850. Hard to get a 13 year old in the car for the day and away from the X Box. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

For 200 mm i would highly recommend finding a used Minolta 200 f2.8 HS.

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know been looking at it. They are all overseas in the HS. I'm very tempted as I need one in January for a gig

Post Thanks / Like

I know been looking at it. They are all overseas in the HS. I'm very tempted as I need one in January for a gig
    Ah! In case you haven't tried, Matsuiya Store, is pretty reliable.

I got mine from there a few years ago.

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    For 200 mm i would highly recommend finding a used Minolta 200 f2.8 HS.
    N
    As my back up cam is the A700, whenever I need a good fast 200 and prepared to sacrifice some Mpx, I put the Zeiss 135 on the 1.5 crop A700.....makes for a superb fast 200! The same would apply for the new A580 but I do not have one of those!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

guy, i think you will love the files out of the sony, wait till you see the skin tones, right out of the camera. i never have to do color adjustments, they are very natural looking colors.
    -Josef
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love to be the one bringing you good news .-)

Sony is still committed to full-frame, according to this short dpreview ‘interview’ with Masashi 'Tiger' Imamura, President of Personal Imaging & Sound Business Group.

See the last text paragraph of the ‘interview’ here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11...yinterview.asp

FWIW … not all that much information, but still a statement.

Tony Beach

It's not as if Thom made this up or that it was merely his speculation. He reported that he was hearing things that appeared to be coming from inside Sony. As has already been noted in this thread, that doesn't mean Sony ceases making 135 format DSLRs, but they might have the sensor chips outsourced -- after all, if Nikon stops buying them then Sony is on the hook for the entire production run, and I don't think Nikon actually bought a lot of sensors for the the D3x.

Remember also that this rumor started nearly six months ago. It could well be that the pro-"full frame" factions within Sony got precisely what they wanted by starting this rumor; that is, that Sony has been forced to now proclaim that they will continue to offer "full frame" DSLRs. The thing is though, I saw some hesitance in Sony's statement, as if they were saying they have to because it's expected of them and it seemed pretty clear they aren't terribly enthusiastic about it because it's something of a loss-leader for them.

What I found particularly disturbing in the recent announcement was the implication that future 135 format DSLRs from Sony will be SLT and not SLR models (the interviewer has essentially said in a Sony DSLR forum thread that he thinks that is where Sony is headed). Frankly, I'm not sure I like that at all and I can think of a few reasons to be bothered by it. As with all rumors and speculation though, I'll just wait to see what happens and cross those bridges when I arrive at them.