The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

Eoin

See! I told you the a900 would be the last camera I'd need to buy, ..... now I've no choice in the matter should I have reason to change my mind. :ROTFL:

Eoin

Not quite the case with you, I see you've been drooling after that 24 Zeiss ZA prime. This news might make you reconsider though, the a900/850 may be the only FF body you'll ever be able to use it on.:deadhorse:

Well done Sony, a perfect example (if true) on how to alienate your high end users and close the system to existing users who, were perhaps aspiring to FF in the future.:thumbdown:

Like I've said many times before, I'm delighted with the performance of the a900's I have. I really don't foresee me re-joining the never-ending upgrade trail chasing noiseless ISO6400 and 15 stops of dynamic range. My wallet is firmly shut with regard to camera/lens purchases. I just need to keep telling myself this is all I need in all reality.

I may be planning a trip to Korat soon, hopefully you'll have your 24 ZA to tease me with.:grin:

edwardkaraa

I honestly don't see Sony ending its FF line just like that. There could be some truth in the rumor, especially from Nikon's point of view. Perhaps Sony is not providing Nikon with FF sensors anymore, which could explain the absence of any news regarding the long awaited D700X. Even if Sony decides to stop producing FF sensors (very unlikely scenario), this doesn't necessarily mean the end of FF cameras. They could be manufactured elsewhere to Sony's specifications.

As for the 24/2, you're absolutely right! I've been impatiently waiting for this one, and I doubt to be able resist the temptation, even with the current uncertainty.

I would certainly be very glad to tease you with it on your next (long overdue) visit :D

Terry

Well, not manufacturing FF sensors and not having a FF camera offering are two different things. If they can't economically make what they need for their own business that doesn't mean they can't buy a sensor for future cameras. So, don't get your blood pressure up too soon. We will know soon enough what the landscape looks like as the Photokina announcements should start in earnest very soon.

I like my A900 don't feel any need to upgrade it.

douglasf13

I'm not worried at all. It would be ludicrous for Sony to end their flagship line...especially on the eve of announcing more fullframe lenses.

BackToSlr

but according to Thom Hogan, Sony will cease production of FF sensors :D

www.bythom.com
I see this as good news. I think Sony is cutting off Nikon (or Nikon choosing not to get FF sensors from Sony). Either way it may pave way for some exclusive Sony FF stuff.

Either which way, Sony still has the fab, if someone orders it they will make it. Sony semiconductor may stop making it so that it is not available "off the shelf". Why in the world would it affect "custom" sensors? My guess is Thom does not quite understand the fab economics,...

Cheers,

N

jonoslack

It all sounds a bit odd to me as well. If he said that they weren't going to make any more ff cameras I'd be less surprised. But still surprised.

Just as long as it doesn't mean that my lovely A900 stops working!!!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that Tom has not understood anything :D

D3 sensors are manufactured by Sony as well as are D700 and D3s sensors. This are the Sony custom made sensors and I think also the D3X sensor to some degree is different from the Sony A900 sensor. Why would a company stop producing a product line which they can successfully sell in the future?

I do agree in comparison to other FF DSLRs the Sony models did not sell as expected. But this only could be the decision for Sony themselves to stop their FF product line (which in my opinion would be a big mistake because it would also canibalise their APSC sensor camera sales).

For me and I am sure also for many others the clear future of professional and semi professional digital photography is via FF sensors.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It all sounds a bit odd to me as well. If he said that they weren't going to make any more ff cameras I'd be less surprised. But still surprised.

Just as long as it doesn't mean that my lovely A900 stops working!!!
Well - you could come to the Nikon camp and be an even happier shooter - give it a try and be surprised :cool:

Schmiddi

Well - you could come to the Nikon camp and be an even happier shooter - give it a try and be surprised :cool:
No way - my lenses wouldn't fit. And buying everything new? Well - time for another hobby? Or go to my dream - Leaf AFI?? But for now my A900 does it's job, so no need to worry :D

Side note: to me leaving FF-line and then introducing new FF-lenses (24mm, and in german forum there is also a 2,8/85mm around) seems not to be soooo logically...

Andreas

jonoslack

Peter - D100,D2x,D3,D700 a plethora of lenses (14-24,24-70,70-200 and a number of primes), and I was never, once, satisfied with the colour for landscapes, especially in evening light.. The A900 has been a wonderful relief, the colour is Always right, the focus is slow . . . but really accurate . . the Zeiss lenses are so much nicer than the Nikon equivalents, and it's small compared to the only real Nikon alternative (D3x). Sure, the Nikons are better at low light - but then I have the gorgeous 135 f1.8.

There are few things certain in this world, but the fact that I won't EVER return to Nikon is one of them!

douglasf13

I think that Tom has not understood anything :D

D3 sensors are manufactured by Sony as well as are D700 and D3s sensors. This are the Sony custom made sensors and I think also the D3X sensor to some degree is different from the Sony A900 sensor. Why would a company stop producing a product line which they can successfully sell in the future?

I do agree in comparison to other FF DSLRs the Sony models did not sell as expected. But this only could be the decision for Sony themselves to stop their FF product line (which in my opinion would be a big mistake because it would also canibalise their APSC sensor camera sales).

For me and I am sure also for many others the clear future of professional and semi professional digital photography is via FF sensors.

Peter, the D700, D3 and D3s are not believed by most to be made by Sony. Renesas is one of the more popular assumptions (with Nikon's design.) http://www.icworks.com/blogs.aspx?id=4626&blogid=86

Well everyone, the good news is that, if Sony does quite making fullframes, our A900s will probably go up in value! :ROTFL:

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

It seems there might be more truth in the rumor than we would like. Now I really would have liked to buy the 24/2 and the rumored new FF body even if FF will be discontinued. But I think I would skip on those, if only to punish Sony by not giving them more of my money.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter - D100,D2x,D3,D700 a plethora of lenses (14-24,24-70,70-200 and a number of primes), and I was never, once, satisfied with the colour for landscapes, especially in evening light.. The A900 has been a wonderful relief, the colour is Always right, the focus is slow . . . but really accurate . . the Zeiss lenses are so much nicer than the Nikon equivalents, and it's small compared to the only real Nikon alternative (D3x). Sure, the Nikons are better at low light - but then I have the gorgeous 135 f1.8.

There are few things certain in this world, but the fact that I won't EVER return to Nikon is one of them!
I have to agree on anything you say about D100, D2x and even D3. But from the D700 upwards I am 100 PERCENT satisfied with almost everything - especially colors! So maybe we have different taste, or we use the cameras differently. I do all my shooting in NEF 14bit and processing in C1 Pro. And the results rock.

WRT lenses - similar thing here - I could never become friend with the Zeiss zooms for the Sony and the 70-200 simply does not come close to the latest Nikkor 70-200 VR2. Also if it comes to the use of Zeiss lenses, I could buy the ones with Nikon mount and have a pretty good lineup then. But I am no longer really convinced that the Zeiss glass is superior to the latest Nikkor lenses and especially also to some selected Sigma lenses, like the 1.4/50 which I happily own and shoot since a few months.

So obviously tastes are very different.

On the FF topic - for me this Sony decision would not be too surprising, as Sony has often shown similar behavior in the past with other products - bring something new, test the market for a few years and if it does not fly, then stop it. Even if the product is superior to others. This might very well - unfortunately - happen now to their FF DSLRs. FOr me it does not mean, that they will not continue to develop FF sensors for others, as this is just a matter of business for them.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Large corporations like Sony are run by bean-counters, and bean-counters want to see a profit on every single product, no matter what. If they make a zillion yen on crop sensors/crop sensor cameras and only break even on the full-frame, the full-frame will get axed.

Ever wondered why the A700 hasn't been replaced? My guess is that it was going to be FF as well, until somebody calculated the profits, or lack of such. NEX is the new profit center for Sony; few parts, easy to manufacture, easy logistics, moves fast off the shelves... I wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 replacement for the A900 is a NEX as well. With a crop sensor...

jonoslack

I could never become friend with the Zeiss zooms for the Sony and the 70-200 simply does not come close to the latest Nikkor 70-200 VR2.
I wasn't aware there was a Zeiss for Sony 70-200?

IBut I am no longer really convinced that the Zeiss glass is superior to the latest Nikkor lenses and especially also to some selected Sigma lenses, like the 1.4/50 which I happily own and shoot since a few months.

So obviously tastes are very different.
Obviously :)

jonoslack

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Large corporations like Sony are run by bean-counters, and bean-counters want to see a profit on every single product, no matter what. If they make a zillion yen on crop sensors/crop sensor cameras and only break even on the full-frame, the full-frame will get axed.

Ever wondered why the A700 hasn't been replaced? My guess is that it was going to be FF as well, until somebody calculated the profits, or lack of such. NEX is the new profit center for Sony; few parts, easy to manufacture, easy logistics, moves fast off the shelves... I wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 replacement for the A900 is a NEX as well. With a crop sensor...
Hi Jorgen
I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree - we live in a changing world, and I wonder about Sony's ambitions to get into the professional market.