The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I love to be the one bringing you good news .-)

Sony is still committed to full-frame, according to this short dpreview ‘interview’ with Masashi 'Tiger' Imamura, President of Personal Imaging & Sound Business Group.

See the last text paragraph of the ‘interview’ here:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11011110sonyinterview.asp

FWIW … not all that much information, but still a statement.

T

Tony Beach

Sony isn't going to stop fullframe camera production anytime soon, IMO. There has been no indication of it, outside of that Thom Hogan guesswork.
It's not as if Thom made this up or that it was merely his speculation. He reported that he was hearing things that appeared to be coming from inside Sony. As has already been noted in this thread, that doesn't mean Sony ceases making 135 format DSLRs, but they might have the sensor chips outsourced -- after all, if Nikon stops buying them then Sony is on the hook for the entire production run, and I don't think Nikon actually bought a lot of sensors for the the D3x.

Remember also that this rumor started nearly six months ago. It could well be that the pro-"full frame" factions within Sony got precisely what they wanted by starting this rumor; that is, that Sony has been forced to now proclaim that they will continue to offer "full frame" DSLRs. The thing is though, I saw some hesitance in Sony's statement, as if they were saying they have to because it's expected of them and it seemed pretty clear they aren't terribly enthusiastic about it because it's something of a loss-leader for them.

What I found particularly disturbing in the recent announcement was the implication that future 135 format DSLRs from Sony will be SLT and not SLR models (the interviewer has essentially said in a Sony DSLR forum thread that he thinks that is where Sony is headed). Frankly, I'm not sure I like that at all and I can think of a few reasons to be bothered by it. As with all rumors and speculation though, I'll just wait to see what happens and cross those bridges when I arrive at them.