The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3rd party battery for NEX

LizaWitz

The 3rd party battery has about %15 less energy density, so will likely run down faster. But it is half as much so for the same money you'd get more overall capacity in two of the cheap batteries than one of the genuine ones.

Seeing the genuine sony for only $32 is really nice to see as well.

hot

No. Wrong.

Sony battery = 1020mAh
3rd party = 1080mAh oooooor 1500mAh (!!!)

1500mAh battery = $15 + $2 shipping !

Sony = $28.50 - $99.99 :-( ... all prices incl. shipping

I'm using a lot of 3rd party batteries (Canon 550D, Lumix GH1, Fuji W1, Canon IXUS100 ...)
Nearly ALL of them are better (or equal) than original - price 1/4 - 1/10 :)

Last edited:

hot

Christmas gifts (hehe)

Battery for NEX3/NEX5/A33/A55 ...

from China without shipping $ 3.99 = € 3

local dealer :( € 99.95 = $ 131

skinnypix

Compare the weight of the after-market batteries to the original. That will give you some indication of the capacity. If the new battery weighs 2/3's of the original, you shouldn't expect the same capacity as the original.
--Alan

hot

I'm using ~ 20 third party batteries for different cameras - price $4 - $12. Delivered from 20 different resellers Honkong/China and surrounding area.
EACH battery is same/or higher capacity like original for 10x-20x price. Some expensive original batteries are "Made in China"! Perhaps same machines ...

Also above battery for my NEX5/A55 :) Same working chip ... same display of power.

neelin

I have 2 Sony Batteries, 1 Wasabi, 1 Chinese (same black/blue label as two messages up).

The prices I paid for these off brands are much less than Sony.
Performance however is roughly proportional to the battery mass.
Often makes no practical difference to me EXCEPT when I'm shooting in cold weather (i.e. below -10C).
Your Mileage May Vary.

Sony 1: 57.5g
Sony 2: 57.3g
Wasabi: 40.0g
Other: 39.1g

V

Vivek

>6 years and Sony have kept the same battery for the E mount cams! :thumbs:

:clap: