Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best "non-Nex" Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Best "non-Nex" Lenses

I don't have a NEX (yet), but am curious. Has any one of you with Contax G adapters ever tried the Contax G 35-70mm "zoom"? Or possibly used this fine lens on a M43 camera? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Can't wait for your feedback regarding the CV 35/1.4.

I am also looking at maybe some wider options that provide a 35mm equivalent (24mm, 25mm etc), since I have always loved the 35mm FOV, for my walkarounds. In other words, I am pretty much game for lenses from 24mm - 35mm (35mm - 50mm FOV in FF terms) currently, if the lens is otherwise not problematic on the NEX.
    Yeah, I'm curious about 35 equivalents as well, but they're tougher to find without smearing and usually slower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious about 35 equivalents as well, but they're tougher to find without smearing and usually slower.
    True. Today, while browsing through our local retailer, I saw an old Minolta M-Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 (competitor of the Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, probably of a much older vintage). I had never known that Minolta made lenses for the M-mount. I did not pick it up, since I needed to do some more research on it, before flipping the switch.

They also had a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit, and the size was just amazing. Anybody know if the 28mm Elmarit would be an acceptable performer on the NEX ? I am not too enthusiastic about the f/2.8 and would really like at least an f/2, but if the performance is okay, then might just go with it, considering that the size is really petite and will go with the NEX very well.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The 28mm M-Rokkor was made for the Minolta CLE, the auto exposure version of the Leica CL. It's from about 1980 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Today while browsing through eBay for M-NEX adapters, I came across one made by Voigtlander. But I got a shock when I saw the price...$300 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Voigtlander-...ns_Accessories

How could someone charge $300 for a purely mechanical coupling, with no electronics or optics in it ? Of course there were other adapters around, ranging from $50 to less than $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The 28mm M-Rokkor was made for the Minolta CLE, the auto exposure version of the Leica CL. It's from about 1980 or so.
    Thanks. I did not know about such a lens at all. Is it worth it for around $400 or so, assuming it is in great shape ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I decided on the adapter from "Metabones" on eBay for $75. I haven't received it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about their various adapters. We'll see.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today while browsing through eBay for M-NEX adapters, I came across one made by Voigtlander. But I got a shock when I saw the price...$300 !

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Voigtlander-...ns_Accessories

How could someone charge $300 for a purely mechanical coupling, with no electronics or optics in it ? Of course there were other adapters around, ranging from $50 to less than $100.
    $300 is above market for a voigtlander adapter. I believe sells them for $180. Their adapters tend to be made to tighter tolerances which for some is worth the price. Tighter tolerance being not going well past infinity on focus, or on LTM adapter getting the lens to properly line up without needing to be adjusted by the user.

koji

Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8 resolution chart and MTF are here >
    http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/124969040

FYI only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    $300 is above market for a voigtlander adapter. I believe sells them for $180. Their adapters tend to be made to tighter tolerances which for some is worth the price. Tighter tolerance being not going well past infinity on focus, or on LTM adapter getting the lens to properly line up without needing to be adjusted by the user.
    Where can we get this for $180 ? Don't find any other place that stocks it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where can we get this for $180 ? Don't find any other place that stocks it.
    CameraQuest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Thank you. Looking at it right now !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the route that I went, roweraay. I paid $75.

http://stores.ebay.com/modpointer-me...34Q2ec0Q2em322

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the site out and did want to order the adapter but the site did not have a shopping cart etc. or even whether the adapter is in stock or not (availability loosely listed as August 2010).

Also, there was a note somewhere on the site that Steve (who runs the site) is on vacation and expected back today. I don't mind paying for it, if it is in stock, but making a payment and waiting for several weeks would definitely be frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the route that I went, roweraay. I paid $75.

http://stores.ebay.com/modpointer-me...34Q2ec0Q2em322
    Tempting. I really wanted the Voigtlander one, but if it is not readily available, I might go with the metabones one (which seems to be shipping out of Hong Kong).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would prefer the voigtlander one too, but bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320559486991

because it was available from stock in the UK (no customs hassles).
    It's due for delivery tomorrow . . . . . when I'll be in Aberdeen!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the site out and did want to order the adapter but the site did not have a shopping cart etc. or even whether the adapter is in stock or not (availability loosely listed as August 2010).

Also, there was a note somewhere on the site that Steve (who runs the site) is on vacation and expected back today. I don't mind paying for it, if it is in stock, but making a payment and waiting for several weeks would definitely be frustrating.
    That's why the other ebay seller has them for $300...they apparently have the only ones that exist at this time...

If you want the Voigtlander from Camerquest, there is no shopping cart, you have to send in a deposit. Don't worry, he's very reliable, he just prefers to keep his site looking like its 1994.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

drop him an email or give him a call... he'll tell you if he has them or not... as for the shopping cart, i think he typically does PayPal invoices. i did a sale with him once that needed to be overnighted from my iPhone while i was at a camera store that didn't have screwmount-to-M adaptors... Steve's a good guy and ships really fast.

and i'm not saying this is the best adaptor (you just said you wanted it). i don't even have the camera, merely the lenses

Post Thanks / Like

drop him an email or give him a call... he'll tell you if he has them or not...
    Yup, I will give him a call and see. Thanks.

i don't even have the camera, merely the lenses
    And I have the camera but not the lenses.

Just that, once the adapter is on board, I can at least visit our local camera retailers and try out the lenses on the camera, and check them out on my laptop to validate their performance, before buying the ones that look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    .... he just prefers to keep his site looking like its 1994.
    Actually, that was exactly what I felt when I went through the site....1994 is a bit optimistic - I would go back another 5 years !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, that was exactly what I felt when I went through the site....1994 is a bit optimistic - I would go back another 5 years !
    you're being a wee bot harsh here. i think monza had it right... regardless, we all put with the look because it's filled with a lot of easy to digest information if you want some quick info (and wha to look out for) on the lenses you're looking at: http://cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

Post Thanks / Like

you're being a wee bot harsh here. i think monza had it right... regardless, we all put with the look because it's filled with a lot of easy to digest information if you want some quick info (and wha to look out for) on the lenses you're looking at: http://cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm
    Oh, I was only ribbing him a bit. The organization of the site is okay but it does not even have a shopping cart, which was a bit strange in this day and age.

In fact, the folks who made my tripod ballheads (Arca Swiss) don't have ANY official web presence at all. Absolutely none ! I like their products but not very happy about the fact that they are still stuck in a time-warp and have not realized the potential of harnessing the power of the web.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a reply from Steve. Seems like availability is Late August. Bummer ! Either way, that makes my decision easier - Metabones !

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a reply from Steve. Seems like availability is Late August. Bummer ! Either way, that makes my decision easier - Metabones !
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. I purchased a Metabones Leica R to m4/3 adapter a while ago and am delighted with the quality provided for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really like the Contax G lenses on the NEX5. The size and balance seem perfect. The adapter is the weak link. I may have gotten one that is less than optimum.
    NEX5 and Contax G 45 f/2 Planar

ilcapo

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I really like the Contax G lenses on the NEX5. The size and balance seem perfect. The adapter is the weak link. I may have gotten one that is less than optimum.
    first post here Cindy, which adapter did you buy?
    i have just received my RJ adapter for my nikon AIS glass, so far i am pleased.
    if there is better i am open to suggestions. cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
    first post here Cindy, which adapter did you buy?
    i have just received my RJ adapter for my nikon AIS glass, so far i am pleased.
    if there is better i am open to suggestions. cheers.
    Welcome to the forum. The Nikon lens looks great on your NEX.
    I bought my Pen-F, MD, and M to NEX adapters from RJ and am very happy with them. The Contax G adapter is the Kipon CTX G-NEX adapter from Ebay.

The above 2 photos were in-camera HDR jpegs. This photo is from a RAW converted in Aperture3. NEX, Contax G 45 f/2 planar
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 9th August 2010 at 17:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. I purchased a Metabones Leica R to m4/3 adapter a while ago and am delighted with the quality provided for the price.
    Thanks for the feedback. I contacted the seller and paid for the Metabones adapter. So hopefully it should be on the way (from HK) shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

I am seriously looking at either the ZM 25/2.8 or the 35/2....in addition to the CV 35/1.4.

The 25/2.8 will provide a near 35mm FOV, which I like a lot, and there does not seem to be any smearing either, with it. The 35/2 will provide a near-50mm FOV and also is a non-smearer and by all accounts, has zero distortion, which is perfect for quite a few applications. The ZM 35/2.8 is a dark horse, even though the f/2 of the other 35 Biogon is pretty tempting. The CV 35/1.4 does look promising but smearing is still a question mark. We'll see !

My metabones adapter has been shipped, and hopefully should be here over the next few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am seriously looking at either the ZM 25/2.8 or the 35/2....in addition to the CV 35/1.4.

The 25/2.8 will provide a near 35mm FOV, which I like a lot, and there does not seem to be any smearing either, with it. The 35/2 will provide a near-50mm FOV and also is a non-smearer and by all accounts, has zero distortion, which is perfect for quite a few applications. The ZM 35/2.8 is a dark horse, even though the f/2 of the other 35 Biogon is pretty tempting. The CV 35/1.4 does look promising but smearing is still a question mark. We'll see !

My metabones adapter has been shipped, and hopefully should be here over the next few days.
    Do you have links to the ZM 35/2 or 25/2.8 shot at infinity? I haven't seen any yet (in good light.)

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have links to the ZM 35/2 or 25/2.8 shot at infinity? I haven't seen any yet (in good light.)
    Okay, I am taking a bit of a leap here with this but about the 35/2, I am basing it on deepdiver's pictures in the first page of this thread and also his subsequent post that stated:

-------------
    Sorry i did not bring the infinity photo with ZM 35 today.
    I tried it yesterday, It's really good... did not see any smearing at all
    will post it later.
    --------------

The 25/2.8's thoughts were based on the pictures posted by Cindy Flood in the page right before this page. Seems like under certain conditions like bright skies etc., there was a magenta cast observed, but did not seem to have any smearing per se (in picture of lighthouse in the distance).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't see smearing either, but it's hard to tell at that size. The magenta cast certainly seems like it's fixable.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see smearing either, but it's hard to tell at that size. The magenta cast certainly seems like it's fixable.
    I think the lack of smearing he talked about, was not about the specific examples he posted, but of other pictures that he had taken with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just flipped the switch on a Ver.4 35/2 Pre-Asph Summicron. Hopefully it will not have any smearing issues. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a great lens. I have a feeling it'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Nex 5 with Lux 50
    looks so nice IMHO
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

any photos from that combo? ^^^

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have..
    But now it's time for bed!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I'm with you on the Contax G lenses and the NEX! I am enjoying this combination more and more everyday. It has brought a lot of fun back into photography for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am taking a bit of a leap here with this but about the 35/2, I am basing it on deepdiver's pictures in the first page of this thread and also his subsequent post that stated:

-------------
    Sorry i did not bring the infinity photo with ZM 35 today.
    I tried it yesterday, It's really good... did not see any smearing at all
    will post it later.
    --------------

The 25/2.8's thoughts were based on the pictures posted by Cindy Flood in the page right before this page. Seems like under certain conditions like bright skies etc., there was a magenta cast observed, but did not seem to have any smearing per se (in picture of lighthouse in the distance).
    Sorry i was totally forget to post an example from ZM 35 @infinity.

here are an example

full picture

INFINITY F2

INFINITY F4

As u can see, ZM 35/2 is perfect for NEX 5, unlike Lux 50/1.4
    lux 50/1.4 is not good @infinity.
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    any photos from that combo? ^^^
    Bad news, this combo is not good @ infinity. (Nex 5 + Lux 50/1.4)
    here is an example that i took this morning

@infinity F4

IF i move the focus ring away a bit to the left, I can get a sharp image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Bad news, this combo is not good @ infinity. (Nex 5 + Lux 50/1.4)
    here is an example that i took this morning

@infinity F4

IF i move the focus ring away a bit to the left, I can get a sharp image.

Andre, I wrote the same thing in the other thread. Your adapter probably needs to be shimmed so that infinity matches the infinity mark. You can't rely that infinity is at the mark when you put adapters on. You should be able to focus and see that you hit actual infinity. If you can go further, it will go soft. You are saying if you move to the left a little it is sharp. That is your infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cindy.
    ahhh thx you for the explanation.
    Now everything is clear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Sorry i was totally forget to post an example from ZM 35 @infinity.

here are an example
    Appreciate the time you spent on this. Sorry about the bother but can you also provide some crops from the 4 corners (35/2 Biogon) ? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, here are 2 crops, from left and right corner. ( i think I dont need to crop top left and right, since we have nothing over there, just a white color)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, hard to tell if that is smearing or just DOF issues. Do you have any examples where there is something in the distance at infinity on the corners? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have it at the moment.
    I will take more some picture tomorrow morning with ZM 35/2 @ Infinity and I will set the aperture to F8 or F11.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI everyone.
    Well, all I need now is some time and a good hedge (as you guys around here are allergic to brick walls )

The Kipon adapter seems to be nicely made, and I did a few quick shots last night with the 35 'lux, 75 'cron and 50 'lux - things looked good (focusing is a snap, even in low light without zooming in).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI everyone.
    Well, all I need now is some time and a good hedge (as you guys around here are allergic to brick walls )

The Kipon adapter seems to be nicely made, and I did a few quick shots last night with the 35 'lux, 75 'cron and 50 'lux - things looked good (focusing is a snap, even in low light without zooming in).
    Look forward to seeing how the 35 'Lux does on the NEX5 on some good proper English hedges. Is that the latest FLE version?
    Could you snap a similar AOV comparison shot with the M9 and 35 'Lux to see the difference in IQ between the two systems? That would be very interesting to see too.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, hard to tell if that is smearing or just DOF issues. Do you have any examples where there is something in the distance at infinity on the corners? Thanks.
    OK, here is the picture, as i promised.
    INFINITY @ F11

full picture

left corner bottom

right corner bottom

Top Left

Top right

Let me know, what do u think